PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 197 Pull

shoeman
12-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I just got back from Orlando...what great weather. Why do I live in MI? Oh, I forgot, it must be the low unemployment rate! Anyway, I skied behind a 197 and I have to say, not too impressed.* Last fall I was looking to sell by PS 205, but I may keep it now.

I skied at 15 off, 34 mph and I thought that the wake was hard. The driver did tell me that at 28 off, the wake flattens - especially at 36 mph. So, all of you forum gurus were correct: before you buy, try! And try at your normal line length and speed.

p.s. I noticed that with two teenagers in the front of the bow, the 197 took on some serious water from a nosedive. I don't understand why MC doesn't engineer the open bow for a little more safety.

* I say not too impressed, but it is, of course, a good boat.

Chicago190
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
The low bow provides:

a. better sight lines for the driver
b. awesome appearance on the water

Justjoe
12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Maybe just a bad ride. Hold out till it gets warmer, and the ice melts. I have an 06 for sale that I would take out of storage to re-assess for you, and I figure it needs excercise anyways. Awesome boat, IMO.

ncsone
12-30-2008, 10:22 PM
I love my 197. Can not say enough good things about it.

JohnE
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I just got back from Orlando...what great weather. Why do I live in MI? Oh, I forgot, it must be the low unemployment rate! Anyway, I skied behind a 197 and I have to say, not too impressed.* Last fall I was looking to sell by PS 205, but I may keep it now.

I skied at 15 off, 34 mph and I thought that the wake was hard. The driver did tell me that at 28 off, the wake flattens - especially at 36 mph. So, all of you forum gurus were correct: before you buy, try! And try at your normal line length and speed.

p.s. I noticed that with two teenagers in the front of the bow, the 197 took on some serious water from a nosedive. I don't understand why MC doesn't engineer the open bow for a little more safety.

* I say not too impressed, but it is, of course, a good boat.

Though I've never ski'd the 205, you're probably right. There is little difference between it and the 197...:rolleyes:

The 197 bow certainly wasn't engineered for a couple of teenagers to sit unless the driver is really on his game.

Let us know what boat finally does impress you.:)

east tx skier
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
What year 197 was it. What year 205 do you have? When I had a 205, my take on the 197 the first time I skied it was that the wake was smaller, but a lot firmer at longer line lengths. I concluded that it was not $30K better than my 205 for what I would use it for. I've skied a 197 with a rudder upgrade since then and liked it a lot better. But it may have just been a different day. It also just may take some getting used to. The first time I skied my current boat, I was not blown away. But after a few runs on my home water and suddenly, I could see what the fuss was about.

/edit. That later 197 was ncsone's 197

russlars
12-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Something else that you may not have considered is the prop on the 197 that you skied behind. I also ski 15' off at 34-36 mph and I have noticed a difference in the hardness and size of the wake behind my 205 depending on what prop I have on. Just another element to factor into the equation.:)

h2oskiluvr
12-31-2008, 08:37 AM
In the last few years have skied behind several contemporary SN196s and PS 197s, Malibu Echelon, Response LXI, and even a Tige. I own a 2005 197. I have found for me the single biggest factor in how good or bad the wake is how well I am skiing. Generally, if I am skiing tentative because I am unfamiliar with the ski site or whatever the wake feels rock hard. If I am feeling good and skiing well I don't feel the wake at all regardless of the the boat. What is happening I believe is the tentativeness causes me to hit the wake with the ski flat as opposed to at an angle in a strong pulling position.

Not surprisingly I love skiing behind my boat and I think the wake is awesome; however, if the wind comes up and the conditions cause me to ski differently low and behold the wake "grows" and becomes hard as a rock.

I am not an expert skier by any stretch. I haven't been able to get very far into 28' off and primarily ski at 22' off in the course.

I wanted to share my opinion on the matter. Bottom line, I just don't think too much about the wake argument now. It is 98% about me, the skier.

sethro
12-31-2008, 12:25 PM

Be careful what you wish for...the 07-08 Response LXI was designed with this in mind. The 03-06 Response LXI is a much better looking boat, of course it's just my opinion. To me, the 03-06 RLXI and the 01-current PS197 are the best looking boats on the water.

sand2snow22
12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Speaking the truth h2oskiluvr. A sign at a waterski lake reads 'Winners Train, Losers Complain'. Not directing that at you Shoe, jus saying......

In the last few years have skied behind several contemporary SN196s and PS 197s, Malibu Echelon, Response LXI, and even a Tige. I own a 2005 197. I have found for me the single biggest factor in how good or bad the wake is how well I am skiing. Generally, if I am skiing tentative because I am unfamiliar with the ski site or whatever the wake feels rock hard. If I am feeling good and skiing well I don't feel the wake at all regardless of the the boat. What is happening I believe is the tentativeness causes me to hit the wake with the ski flat as opposed to at an angle in a strong pulling position.

Not surprisingly I love skiing behind my boat and I think the wake is awesome; however, if the wind comes up and the conditions cause me to ski differently low and behold the wake "grows" and becomes hard as a rock.

I am not an expert skier by any stretch. I haven't been able to get very far into 28' off and primarily ski at 22' off in the course.

I wanted to share my opinion on the matter. Bottom line, I just don't think too much about the wake argument now. It is 98% about me, the skier.

shoeman
01-04-2009, 07:22 PM
The 197 is a 2008. My 205 is a 1992 (stock rudder + prop). I didn't thnk to ask about the rudder or prop on the 197 though. I'll ski a 197 again for sure this spring before I make any decisions.

clintondf
01-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I love my 197. Can not say enough good things about it.

Same here! I have an 03, Just wish I had a mini tower/bimini top and a couple more speakers! As for soaking the people in the bow, it makes for a good laugh!