PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a Lexus rx300

Ty 73
05-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Just curious if anyone has any experience with the towing ability of these vehicles. We may have an opportunity to get a 2001 or 2002. The 2001 towing guide (http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/01towingguide.pdf) indicates they can handle 3500 lbs. They've got a 240 hp 3.0 v6. I'm more concerned about the shock package and breaking ability. Any real world experience? Thanks for any advice.

I'd be pulling the ol' stars and stripes...about 3200 lbs. of boat, trailer, and stuff.

Ric
05-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Pimpin .

Scot
05-11-2005, 02:44 PM
wow, that's pushing the limit and you're not leaving much wiggle room....... No real world experience here... just opinion... I would not tow with that setup more than just a mile or two...(very carefully) how much does the rx300 weigh? You have to remember there is no real frame under it.... If I recall, those were built on the camery chasis... (might be way wrong). I have enough issues towing with a 4-door Tahoe when things get tight and I have to stomp on the breaks... my 86 prostar makes a statement... (hey I'm back here)!

Ty 73
05-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Scot, my concerns exactly. I've still got the old pathfinder we use currently, but like ric says...the pimp factor would be shweet.

I'm still curious if anyone has actually used one for towing. I think the rx300 weighs between 3700 and 4000 lbs depending on the awd option.

Scot
05-11-2005, 03:12 PM
gotcha.... but bling bling can turn into a darwin award in the "bling" of an eye... :eek:

parks_jr_55
05-11-2005, 03:20 PM

ski_king
05-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Does your old stars and stripes have trailer brakes?
If not, I wouldn't risk it.

I have a Mazda Tribute that is also rated at 3500 lbs.
I have it set up for towing, but will only use it on the ramp. I keep my boat at camp and my idea is to leave the truck at home and save the gas for the boat.

rodltg2
05-11-2005, 03:45 PM
why do you want to know its "breaking ability"? what do you want to break? :uglyhamme

peason
05-11-2005, 04:35 PM
I have towed my 209 for the last 2 years with a Toyota Sienna with not problems. The transmission, knock on wood has been fine. Toyota builds a great vehicle. We dont' tow very far and the ramp we use is in great shape - I have no problem getting the boat out of the water, even with front wheel drive - occasionally if it's wet, I have to get every one off the boat and pile another big guy up front with me and off we go.
You should be fine, I would get the towing package if available, which has a larger transmission cooler.

east tx skier
05-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Close on the limits. How far and how frequently will you be towing. If it's just down the street a few times per season, that's one thing. If it's every week, 60 miles each way, that's another.

TEX P205
05-11-2005, 08:34 PM
My truck is rated at 4500 lbs, my boat/trailer set up is 3600 lbs. O.K. for around the city, highway driving is horrible, and hills are no fun either. I'm a big believer in the V8 engine for towing, which I don't have. But if you tow with an old pathfinder already, I'd imagine it to be little bit better than that.

Ty 73
05-12-2005, 06:39 PM
thanks for the replies. this is more a matter of convenience. basically it would add one more vehicle which could tow the boat. right now, the duty falls to a 94 pathfinder. if the deal on the rx300 works out, it would be nice to know if we could tow with it. typical tow is less than ten miles and not very strenuous. like i said, never driven the rx300. looks like a light duty suv at best....actually looks like a tall car to me. anyway, just wondering if anyone had used one to tow. they are "rated" for 3500 lbs. I still question the suspension. thanks again.

Dragon88
05-13-2005, 08:48 PM
My family has(d) an rx300 (2001 "Silversport" edition) that we towed the Sport Nautique with, the thing was terrible IMO. It struggled with the weight of the boat, the only nice thing about it is how short it is for backing the boat up.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it highly. Service has also been a problem, but that's the dealerships fault, not the car. The car, however has gone through 3 batteries, not sure what that is all about. Can't WAIT to get rid of it though. Just my two cents.

Ryan
05-14-2005, 12:09 AM
The RX 330 has a few more ponies.

Dragon- Where'd you get that Avatar??

André
05-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Dragon- Where'd you get that Avatar??
Don't know but it's hard on the eyes!!! :eek:

Dragon88
05-14-2005, 04:10 PM
I made it myself, I have one that is "smoother" that I'll put up.

Personally, I'm not particularly an MC guy, but I am a boat enthusiast and I like to see what everyone is doing with their boats be them: Malibu, Tige, MC, so on and so forth.

My uncle has an 88 Tri-star 190 that has been his dream boat since he first saw it in shrink wrap 17 years ago. Actually was down at the dealership getting his boat serviced, and saw the delivery truck come in with the new boats. He saw a blue Tri-star and called his buddy Kurt. He said "Kurt you've got to come down to the boat dealership they just got the most beautiful Tri-star in! Its blue and white." then his friend says "Yeah, I know, it's mine. I ordered it." so then 6 or 7 years ago my uncle bought it off him and its been happily beside our Nautique ever since. It's in amazing shape and only has like 350 hrs. That's my MasterCraft story. :)

So MC owner? Nope. Boat fanatic? Yes.

Ryan
05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Well it's nice to have ya Dragon, we do have one other CC owner on here (that I know of). Nothing wrong with a little diversity. I have been playing around on that new Wakesiderides.com just to get some, but like it better over here. So tell your friends to come hang out on TMC.

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Nothing wrong with CCs, they've been around for like 80 years now, so they must be doing something right

east tx skier
05-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Welcome, Dragon. I, too, am a boat enthusiast. I've enjoyed pulls behind both MC and non-MC alike. I'd tell you about it, but then the thread would disappear. It being a MC-owned board, just something we have to deal with here. Don't let that worry you though. There are some people on here that don't even own boats. :D

ski_king
05-16-2005, 02:47 PM
....There are some people on here that don't even own boats. :D
and maybe never will....... :D