PDA

View Full Version : Surfing, Boarding, and vests

turbosdad
12-28-2008, 01:26 PM
I am sitting here watching the Fuel channel and surfing....not wake, but the kind done from the beach. I used to surf 20 years ago, but here on the Texas coast, too many bad days. I have skied, tubed, wakeboarded all the while.

When it was pre or post Hurricane we would walk to the end of one of the jetties and jump off, most of the time 1/2 mile and further out instead of paddling out. It was lilke being in a huge washing machine. We did not have leashes in those days.

As boarders we gear up with hundreds of dollars of life vests and sometimes helmets, yet surfers NEVER wear life vests. Certainly in my day and I imagine now a surfer would be laughed off the beach if he showed up with a vest.....

Why do surfers not wear vests????:confused:

coz
12-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I am sitting here watching the Fuel channel and surfing....not wake, but the kind done from the beach. I used to surf 20 years ago, but here on the Texas coast, too many bad days. I have skied, tubed, wakeboarded all the while.

When it was pre or post Hurricane we would walk to the end of one of the jetties and jump off, most of the time 1/2 mile and further out instead of paddling out. It was lilke being in a huge washing machine. We did not have leashes in those days.

As boarders we gear up with hundreds of dollars of life vests and sometimes helmets, yet surfers NEVER wear life vests. Certainly in my day and I imagine now a surfer would be laughed off the beach if he showed up with a vest.....

Why do surfers not wear vests????:confused:

Can't paddle in them and they're not required :D Tow in big wave surfers use them though.

turbosdad
12-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Can't paddle in them and they're not required :D Tow in big wave surfers use them though.

Are vest required for watersports?? I know you must have one for each player in the boat but did not know they were required to be pulled.

Thanks

sand2snow22
12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
When surfing, sometimes you want to be below the washing machine, don't you?

vision
12-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Yes. It is consider more dangerous to be floating in the wave wash then under it when you fall. You could however make an argument for wearing a helmet while surfing.

coz
12-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Are vest required for watersports?? I know you must have one for each player in the boat but did not know they were required to be pulled.

Thanks

Yes and If you have a boat and this is new news to you I suggest this http://www.uscgboating.org/index.aspx

turbosdad
12-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Yes and If you have a boat and this is new news to you I suggest this http://www.uscgboating.org/index.aspx

here is what I have from that site"

"PFD requirements for certain boating activities under state laws

The Coast Guard recommends and many states require wearing PFDs:

For water skiing and other towed activities (use a PFD marked for water skiing).
While operating personal watercraft (PWC) (use a PFD marked for water skiing or PWC use).
During white water boating activities.
While sailboarding (under Federal law, sailboards are not "boats""

And then from the Texas Parks and Wildlife site:

Texas PFD Requirements
Children under 13 years of age in motorboats under 26 feet must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved PFD while underway.
All vessels under 16 feet (including canoes and kayaks) must be equipped with one Type I, II, III or V for each person on board.
Vessels 16 feet and longer, in addition to the Type I, II, III or V for each person on board, must have one Type IV which must be readily accessible. Canoes and kayaks over 16 feet are exempt from the Type IV requirement.

We have NEVER skied, boarded, tubed, or wakesurfed without one. Based on this it looks like it is optional??????????? Which would make my question about why surfing doesnt wear one and ski/boarders do more curious.

coz
12-28-2008, 08:27 PM
here is what I have from that site"

"PFD requirements for certain boating activities under state laws

The Coast Guard recommends and many states require wearing PFDs:

For water skiing and other towed activities (use a PFD marked for water skiing).
While operating personal watercraft (PWC) (use a PFD marked for water skiing or PWC use).
During white water boating activities.
While sailboarding (under Federal law, sailboards are not "boats""

And then from the Texas Parks and Wildlife site:

Texas PFD Requirements
Children under 13 years of age in motorboats under 26 feet must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved PFD while underway.
All vessels under 16 feet (including canoes and kayaks) must be equipped with one Type I, II, III or V for each person on board.
Vessels 16 feet and longer, in addition to the Type I, II, III or V for each person on board, must have one Type IV which must be readily accessible. Canoes and kayaks over 16 feet are exempt from the Type IV requirement.

We have NEVER skied, boarded, tubed, or wakesurfed without one. Based on this it looks like it is optional??????????? Which would make my question about why surfing doesnt wear one and ski/boarders do more curious.

Here in Az it's required http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_recreation/boating_laws.pdf and in California it's the same.

jrhollow
12-28-2008, 09:33 PM
In MN you have to have one in the boat. You don't have to have it on.

Sodar
12-29-2008, 01:26 AM
I would never surf with a vest on. Even the little bit of added buoyancy, it would make duck diving that much more difficult, not to mention confining.

The big wave/ tow-in guys wear vests because the chances of the wave holding them down for a long time is a reality. They wear vests for the most part to improve the chances of finding them if they pass out or get stuck on the inside.

coz
12-29-2008, 08:37 AM
I would never surf with a vest on. Even the little bit of added buoyancy, it would make duck diving that much more difficult, not to mention confining.

The big wave/ tow-in guys wear vests because the chances of the wave holding them down for a long time is a reality. They wear vests for the most part to improve the chances of finding them if they pass out or get stuck on the inside.

I don't fear surfing big waves but I'm scared sheetless about being held under by big waves if I eat it or get caught inside when set are rolling in :o I remember my first trip to Hawaii and I was surfing Kahalu'u bay on the big island, I was riding one of my first waves and it started to close out so I just kinda steped off the board before it slammed me but the force of the water behind me pushed me straight to the bottom and my right foot got wedged between a coral reef crevas and when I pulled it out and got to the surface my foot and ankles on both sides were shredded and I had a hole the size of a quarter on the bottom of my foot :mad: needless to say I was out of that tiger shark infested water as soon as I saw blood :eek: I couldn't surf for a couple days after that :mad: waves don't have to be big to hold you under, it's the water behind the wave pushing in that does it.

turbosdad
12-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Here in Az it's required http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_recreation/boating_laws.pdf and in California it's the same.

Frankly I was very surprised that it was NOT required in Texas. Either Fed or State mention ski "belts"....now that's a blast from the past.

I looked at AZ law.

Thanks

turbosdad
12-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't fear surfing big waves but I'm scared sheetless about being held under by big waves if I eat it or get caught inside when set are rolling in :o I remember my first trip to Hawaii and I was surfing Kahalu'u bay on the big island, I was riding one of my first waves and it started to close out so I just kinda steped off the board before it slammed me but the force of the water behind me pushed me straight to the bottom and my right foot got wedged between a coral reef crevas and when I pulled it out and got to the surface my foot and ankles on both sides were shredded and I had a hole the size of a quarter on the bottom of my foot :mad: needless to say I was out of that tiger shark infested water as soon as I saw blood :eek: I couldn't surf for a couple days after that :mad: waves don't have to be big to hold you under, it's the water behind the wave pushing in that does it.

I have only surfed Texas and once in small CA waves. You are right it's not the surfing that will kick your a$$, it's the pounding of getting caught inside big sets...you are not sure if you are coming or going. It can be a real test of swimming ability. That coral is bad, huh?

In one of the previous posts with the pic of the guy surfing what looks like a tsunami, he does not appear to be using a life vest. I have never seen anything like that while boarding

jwroblew
01-04-2009, 10:43 PM
salt water is more buoyant, I surfed for the 1st time lat year in Hawaii, I was surprised how easy it was to float, plus I second all the people who said it would be difficult to dive under waves.

Surfing was a blast, all the swimming kicked my A$$ though.

coz
01-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I have only surfed Texas and once in small CA waves. You are right it's not the surfing that will kick your a$$, it's the pounding of getting caught inside big sets...you are not sure if you are coming or going. It can be a real test of swimming ability. That coral is bad, huh?

In one of the previous posts with the pic of the guy surfing what looks like a tsunami, he does not appear to be using a life vest. I have never seen anything like that while boarding

This pic? :D
http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/2008_pt1/40_17250739.jpg