PDA

View Full Version : Boat Shed Ideas???

prostar205
12-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, it was bound to happen. The weight of the Seattle snow crushed the portable shed I had my trailer stored in. Luckily the boat does not sit on the trailer - it's on the lift in the water 12 months a year under cover with heaters in it. However, I need to replace it so I can protect the trailer. I'd like to hear and see some ideas from people.

Here is what I am looking at right now. It is a 12'x24'x8' Rhino Shelter.

JohnE
12-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Personally, if you are just covering the trailer, I wouldn't bother replacing it. Seems a little unsightly. What is the benefit? Obviously keeps the rain and snow off, but I wonder how much condensation offsets that benefit. I'd keep the trailer cleaned and waxed and probably up on blocks. Maybe cover the wheels and tires. JMO.

Ben
12-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Or, split the difference. Take off the guideposts and get a 25' tarp and make a teepee out of pvc pipe or 2x4's. This would do the same thing & be much lower profile.

JohnE
12-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Or, split the difference. Take off the guideposts and get a 25' tarp and make a teepee out of pvc pipe or 2x4's. This would do the same thing & be much lower profile.

Not a bad idea. I was thinking just remove the guide poles and cover the trailer as the next option but didn't think about supports.

JimN
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
A stronger shed? 4x4 posts, collar ties, stringers and purlins using lag bolts or through-bolting with carriage bolts should just sit there when the snow falls, as long as the maximum spans for the framing members aren't exceeded. Make it once, make it last.

JohnE
12-28-2008, 03:16 PM
A stronger shed? 4x4 posts, collar ties, stringers and purlins using lag bolts or through-bolting with carriage bolts should just sit there when the snow falls, as long as the maximum spans for the framing members aren't exceeded. Make it once, make it last.

I agree, except some people want/ need the portability of the fabric structures.

prostar205
12-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the replys so far. My biggest issue are the fenders with are shot in fire red metal flake gelcoat matching the boat. I don't want them to oxidize from the summer heat or get damaged from our winter weather. I really need to get up to my buddy's property where I store the trailer and assess the damage. I may be able to rebuild the shed making it shorts since I don't need the full height of the shed for just the trailer. I really don't want to spend $1,000 on a replacement. I'd rather put that $1,000 into gas money for next summer.

JohnE
12-28-2008, 04:10 PM
What about removing the fenders if you only use the trailer once a year?

prostar205
12-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Just got some pics of the damage. The shelter I had for the trailer was 25'x12'x10' to give you an idea of how much this thing pancaked.

Have a look. I don't think I will be able to salvage much.

Jerseydave
12-28-2008, 09:25 PM

I'm with Jim, build a shed using pressure-treated deck lumber. Get some builders tubes for footings, dig down 4-5 feet and pour concrete into the tubes (you can rent a mixer for this to do it yourself) Use corregated steel panels for roofing at a steep pitch so the snow will slide off better. T-111 siding or more steel panels to cover the sides and back. Canvas or barn doors for the front........done.

Sodar
12-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Just got some pics of the damage. The shelter I had for the trailer was 25'x12'x10' to give you an idea of how much this thing pancaked.

Have a look. I don't think I will be able to salvage much.

Looks like that cover will work perfect, until you need to pull the boat around again! :D

I have never had to worry about the snow, but I helped my buddy install a canopy from CostCo and it has held up well in the desert with heavy winds and rain for over a year... the price was right, that is for sure.

prostar205
12-29-2008, 12:54 AM
The snow should be all melted over the next few days. I will then get a couple of buddys to help lift what's left of the cover off the trailer. My biggest fear is damage to the metal flake fenders. I wonder if my boat insurance would cover any of the damage? I won't need the trailer until July/Aug timeframe.