PDA

View Full Version : Water strainer location for hot shower

macattack
12-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Ref a 2005 PS197 MCX engine. I know there are some old/previous shower threads, but was wondering if there were any updates on preventing debris (mostly from the hot side of the engine) reaching the shower temperature control valve screens. It is definitely a pain to remove the back storage panel to reach/disconnect the hoses at the temp control/diluter valves to clean out the screens. The suggestions I have seen from the many threads:
1. Find a higher location on the block to tap the hot water source
- Or does the debris in the bottom of the engine block eventually wash out?
- Does the higher location on the block provide enough hot water?
- Any pics showing the higher location on the MCX engine?
2. Add water strainers prior to the temperature control valves; one for the cold and one for the hot side
- Or install a removable strainer after the hull intake and before the transmission cooler? It would seem one filter at this location would remove debris for both the cold and hot water side of the shower. Any reason MC didn’t do this? Is there a water volume/flow through issue? Should the strainer be mounted in line before or after the impellor or does it matter?

- Any suggestions on the type of strainer and where to buy? Appears the Sherwood Raw Water Strainer is a popular brand.
-- Discount Inboard Marine (http://skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1006):
--- 1” $41.95 plus 10% off for USA Water Ski members
-- Iboats (http://www.iboats.com/Sherwood_Raw_Water_Strainers_Brackets/dm/cart_id.343899431--list_time.1230096362--session_id.341799774--view_id.20734)
- 1” $49.89
- 10% off end of year sale; promo code: ENDOFYEAR08

- Rivermarinesupply.com:
--Shurflo Raw Water Strainer: 1” $29.95

Thanks for any thoughts…mac

jimmer2880
12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Can't answer your shower question - I'm in the process of installing one that Santa brought for me :D

But - I will say that I have a sherwood strainer on my '95 (put it on the first year I owned the boat). We get a lot of grass at the end of the summers, so I love having the piece of mind. It does catch quite a bit of debris.

However, it's not going to strain down to what the screens are on the shower.

I'm thinking of putting a strainer on my lines also.

However, for winterizing purposes, I'm putting some quick-connects on all of my lines. This will allow me to drop a hose over the side of the boat and back-flush the lines if they get clogged.

I like your idea of not connecting into the bottom of the block for the hot line. I may have to "T" off of the line I pull for the heater at the intake.

macattack
12-31-2008, 09:04 AM
OK, where's all the expertise on this one; especially ref #2...would like to add a water strainer after the raw water pick up in the hull, but not sure how it would affect the water volume through the impellor and into the engine?? tks, mac

1. Find a higher location on the block to tap the hot water source
- Or does the debris in the bottom of the engine block eventually wash out?
- Does the higher location on the block provide enough hot water?
- Any pics showing the higher location on the MCX engine?
2. Add water strainers prior to the temperature control valves; one for the cold and one for the hot side
- Or install a removable strainer after the hull intake and before the transmission cooler? It would seem one filter at this location would remove debris for both the cold and hot water side of the shower. Any reason MC didn’t do this? Is there a water volume/flow through issue? Should the strainer be mounted in line before or after the impellor or does it matter?

jimmer2880
12-31-2008, 07:16 PM
I already posted, that I have a raw water strainer before my raw water pump. No problems. Probably thousands of inboards have them.

I asked someone who has their heater source from the top of the block (intake). He said it works great, and keeps the debris out of his shower screen.

I just plumbed mine up this way, but probably won't try it until March/April.

hope this helps

BriEOD
12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Sorry, no heater or shower...yet.

macattack
01-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Jimmer2880: My bust on your first response; I misread that one! Didn't realize where your Sherwood strainer was installed; thanks for the clarification!

Does anyone have any pics of where they tapped into a higher heat source on a MCX engine? I do not have the heater option.

Jim@BAWS: Do the newer MCs have water strainers? How about the boats that come with the shower option? If they do, would appreciate the strainer installation location.

tks, mac

jimmer2880
01-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Jimmer2880: My bust on your first response; I misread that one! Didn't realize where your Sherwood strainer was installed; thanks for the clarification!

No problem. I do it all the time 8p

bkblaida
01-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Added a intake strainer about 3 years ago. Right at the raw water intake and before the tranny cooler. Purchased from skidim. Works great, gives piece of mind in weedy / dirty water. Water flow is not restricted. This is standard equipment on all Cruiser type inboards. Do not know why it is not standard equip. on tow boats. Just do not forget to drain when you winterize. Sorry I cannot help on the shower.

Jesus_Freak
01-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Does anyone have any pics of where they tapped into a higher heat source on a MCX engine? I do not have the heater option.

Jim@BAWS: Do the newer MCs have water strainers? How about the boats that come with the shower option? If they do, would appreciate the strainer installation location.

tks, mac

I dont think a RW strainer is going to work for your shower (kill two birds with one stone approach). As Jimmer2880 has pointed out, the particle passage requirement of your RW intake is different from that of your shower. It would take a monstrous filter (high surface area to allow plenty of RW flow) to clean the RW to a shower screen level of clean. If I have missed your point, please ignore.

jimmer2880
01-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I don't think that it would 100% resolve his problem, but it couldn't hurt. I see what kind of stuff ends up in my RW strainer and am glad it doesn't get into the engine.

Jesus_Freak
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't think that it would 100% resolve his problem, but it couldn't hurt. I see what kind of stuff ends up in my RW strainer and am glad it doesn't get into the engine.

Excellent point!

macattack
01-09-2009, 07:39 PM
All good suggestions...tks! At this pt, I believe I will install a RW Sherwood filter, 20 mesh, after the hull pickup and also add inline filters to the cold and hot water shower lines. Talked to Heater Craft (who makes the shower kits) and they state the inline filter is provided in their shower kits for MasterCraft. For some reason, the MC kit I bought 2 yrs ago did not include these filters. Heater Craft uses Jabsco low profile 40 mesh strainers.

http://www.heatercraft.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=S509

Jimmer2880: You mentioned you just received a shower kit; did it include the inline filters?

Witness140
01-09-2009, 10:40 PM
My 06' 197 with the MCX had a factory shower. Because of the knock sensors, the pickup point for the hot side was T'ed into the garden hose loop. Horrible place for it, as the water there is luke-warm at best. The shower was never hot enough to be useful.

Just before I sold the boat I changed the pickup to a high point like you asked. T'ed the shower hot pickup from the heater feed. That picks up from the block up by the thermostat via a valve. If you do not have a heater, you can tap that source exclusively for your shower. If you have the heater - it's real simple to Tee into that line. It really improved the shower temp. Actually made it useful. I had to mix in some cold water to be able to use the shower actually, without it being too hot. I would say the disadvantage was that with the cold water turned off, the volume with just the hot valve on would be a little low - compared to factory install. However, the only time I would ever run it without any cold mixed in would be before the block was up to temp - and that's easily worked around. Wait a few minutes.

Hope that helps.

jimmer2880
01-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Mac, no - Mine did not come with any kind of strainers.

I was going through the manuals for my new camper, which has a similiar pump (same brand), and it stated to use this filter pre-pump

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/244755?&cid=chanintel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=244755

I think I like the one you posted better.