PDA

View Full Version : Tower speaker can clean-up?

Witness140
12-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Just bought some used speaker cans with lights off an 07' or 08'. They have some surface scratches and a couple knicks in the tweeter cans. Is there anything I can do to get them out? Nothing major, not deep. Not sure if they can be polished?

Thanks!

JohnE
12-28-2008, 11:13 AM
No answer on that, but congrats on the find. Where did you find them?

Witness140
12-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Ebay. Over the last month there have been several listings - but this was the first one I found that came off a 2008 tower and had the correct mounts. No adapter required.

KBryant2007
12-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I bought some off of Ebay a couple of months ago, and plan to install them today. Not sure about the scuffs, but are yours pre-wired? Mine are not and was curious if yours are not what type of wire were you going to use?

Witness140
12-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I haven't gotten that far. I opened the box last night and looked at them before going to bed.

Isn't the wiring in the tower? I ordered a new boat with 2 tower speakers, and was planning on pulling the caps off the tower, pulling out the wires, and hooking them up. Maybe there is more to it?

KBryant2007
12-28-2008, 11:40 AM
If you have a 2007 forward I believe then they are pre-wired in the tower. My tower is not pre-wired, so mine will be a little more complicated with running the speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. Good luck. I'll post some pics tonight when I'm done.

Witness140
12-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Good luck! Looking forward to the pics! Mine will be an 09 (not born yet) so the tower should be pre-wired. Should be easy. I'm getting the boat with 2 tower speakers from the factory, and I've requested they install the JL4500 for the bottom amp in lieu of the standard JL2250 that is installed in 2 speaker installs.

JohnE
12-28-2008, 01:02 PM
My '08 was prewired fwiw.

sand2snow22
12-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Not sure about polishing, would like to know. Anyone?

scramison
12-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Wouldn't hurt to try. Get a dremel, polishing pads, and try different polishing compounds in not so obvious areas. Try using the inside to test. Jeweler polish works good or try some aluminium polish. Not sure what they are made of.

Xstreamws
12-29-2008, 01:00 AM
believe it or not Flitz is amazing www.flitz.com its a little expensive but works awesome.

Sodar
12-29-2008, 01:03 AM
I'd second Flitz. I would try it by hand first and see how it comes out. There is a clear coat on the cans, so try not to go through it or scratch it anymore with an abrasive compound. Either way, follow it up with a coat of wax.

Witness140
12-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll do some before / after photos.

jdl xstar
12-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a set of '06 speakers but need an adaptor for the mounts on my '07 tower. Any suggestions on where to get the adaptors? My local dealorship didn't tell me anything about adaptors and said these speakers couldn't be installed on my tower. thanks!

trickskier
12-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I recommend this:

Witness140
12-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I have a set of '06 speakers but need an adaptor for the mounts on my '07 tower. Any suggestions on where to get the adaptors? My local dealorship didn't tell me anything about adaptors and said these speakers couldn't be installed on my tower. thanks!

BOATNGUYNE on the forum has a set he wants to get rid of. Drop him a PM.

jdl xstar
12-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the info!

craig3972
12-29-2008, 04:11 PM
the surface of the can is clear anodizing. the coating is very hard (aluminum oxide - same stuff they put on sandpaper) the best way to get them to look like new is to de-anodize and then re-anodize. (carefull of color matching - not all clear is the same) Or you could try to scratch the entire surface with a polish to even it out.

JerryS
12-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Sorry, disregard

Witness140
12-29-2008, 05:00 PM
So if they are clear anodized, do you think I'll be able to clean this up? Here's a gallery with how they came out of the box.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mach83/MCBilletAluminum?authkey=p9qCyJqygHA&feat=directlink

Disregard the pictures of the speakers on towers.

These were advertised as 'excellent' condition btw.

KBryant2007
12-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. Local dealer wasn't any help, so I started googling around and ended up emailing the President of Gere Marie, which is the manufacturer for all of the Mastercraft aluminum parts, towers, cans, etc. He emailed me back and had one of his assistants contact me and they sold me a pair of the mounts. However, you will have to take them to a local welder and have them spot welded on your tower which is what I did. Make sure they spot weld on the inside so it will look nice. Gere Marie is based in Chicago. You should be able to google them and find their telephone number. I don't have it with me at the moment.

craig3972
12-29-2008, 08:02 PM
yeah there are some good ones on there. the best would be to re-anodize, they would look the closest to stock and would have a tough durable UV resistant coating. It shoulnt be more than $100 for all the pieces. thats the catch, only aluminum parts can go in the bath so you would have to disassemble everything. (take care to plug the holes with threads in them)
You could try to have them powder coated clear - but you would still have to take them all apart as with anodizing.
The cheap quick fix would be to get some Tremclad clear that you could paint over only the scratches with a brush - dont know about the longevity of that type of repair tho

Witness140
12-29-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm thinking with the colors of my new boat, having the cans anodized black - like on the 40th boats - would look sharp. This place is up the street from me.

http://www.anodic.com/index.html

I'll stop by and see what they suggest. Maybe I'll just hang the cans for now, and next winter have all 4 anodized black, depending on cost.

bobx1
12-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Don't laugh but we also own a pontoon boat and many owners swear by this stuff:

http://www.sharkhide.com/

I would give the owner a call and shoot him some pics of your speakers and get is opinion.

Ole Miss Rebels
12-30-2008, 05:11 PM
those piddling little scuffs ain't worth foolin' with. wipe 'em down with an oily rag and be done with it. just kidding :-) i have a friend who spends far more time cleaning his boat than riding behind it.

craig3972
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm thinking with the colors of my new boat, having the cans anodized black - like on the 40th boats - would look sharp. This place is up the street from me.

http://www.anodic.com/index.html

I'll stop by and see what they suggest. Maybe I'll just hang the cans for now, and next winter have all 4 anodized black, depending on cost.

Anodic looks to be a reputable business to get them anodized.
My only other concern would be the black anodizing... i bought a boom 3 years ago that has the black anodizing on and it faded quite a bit. i would check with Anodic to be sure that the black dye is UV resistant.

tbirder
01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi all,
Just wanted to jump in and show you what we can get aluminum to look like using Sharkhide aluminum polish, and following up with the Sharkhide Metal Protectant.
Clint

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/wehedo2/TTAYLORS08BENNINGTON2.jpg?t=1230931163

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/wehedo2/TTAYLORS08BENNINGTON1.jpg?t=1230931190

brucemac
01-02-2009, 04:56 PM
nice toon! wish i could spring for a bennington!

Witness140
01-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Looks sweet - but......were the pontoons clear anodized prior to the polishing?

tbirder
01-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Looks sweet - but......were the pontoons clear anodized prior to the polishing?

Hey there witness,
The pontoons weren't anodized, nor was there any thing special about them at all. Actually, we started with the plain old mill finish aluminum, hit it with our aluminum cleaner first, then took a Makita variable speed buffer and our one step Sharkhide Metal Polish to it. Once we had the shine we wanted, we scrubed it down with Lacquer to remove all the polish residue from the pours of the metal. If you don't do this step, you'll get a nasty looking finish when your done. Then finaly, we wiped a couple coats of the Sharkhide Metal Protectant on and that's it.
Clint