PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot Suit

Flatwaterfooter
12-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Need suggestions on a new barefoot suit. I have not gotten one in about 6 years and it is time and the wife said get one for Christmas. I want sleeveless. What is everyone wearing and how do you like it.

barefoot
12-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I have a sleeveless Barefoot International suit. I bought it a few years back and it still fits like a glove. With BFI, the sizing runs big. In other words, order a size smaller. I'm 5'8'', 155...a small fits perfectly.

I've heard that Vortex is junk. But KSO and Scarpa are on the team. I've never used the suit so I can't speak personally for them...

Eagle is making a comeback, especally now that Chuck Gleason of BarefootCentral bought it. They're coming out with some new designs worth looking at.

I donno...all my equipment is BFI. They stand behing their products. Whenever I've had a line snap or a seam rip out, I take it back and they replace it. That says something about their customer service. That's important to me...

vogelm1
12-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I second BFI's customer service..always been helpful and quick to replace if something broke. Far as suits, I have an Eagle - it's 3 seasons old now and looks like the day I bought it (and it does get used quite a bit). Good protection and has a nice thick butt pad. BFI or Eagle, you won't go wrong. Don't know much about Vortex but I'm sure somebody will give their opinion shortly - a friend has one and likes it very much. A cool feature they have is ratcheting cinches on the legs; that gets them nice and tight with no effort.

fskof
12-25-2008, 12:46 PM
I have had the same Barefoot International drysuit for about 7yrs now and love it. It has never had a leak or tear. I would not buy anything else.

TRBenj
12-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Just about every single footer I know has an Eagle suit. I love mine- best looking suits on the market (IMHO) and very flexible. Ive gotten 2 seasons out of my current suit/shorts, and they still look new.

I love my BI stuff- booms, Fly Highs, handles, ropes, shoes, etc. All very well built, work great, and last forever. I dont care for the look of the suits, though- and the few people who have or had one have complained that theyre extremely stiff, even after a season or 2 of break-in. I dont doubt that theyre well built, though.

JohnnyB
12-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I own three:

Intensity
Bare
BI

Intensity was my first purchase in 1994....used it until last year. Had to quit cuz the pads were falling off of the inside. Been shoe gooing it together for a few years too.

Bare - purchased from my Bro-in-law because it shrunk on him. Never did like the fit. But, for $100, nice to have an extra suit.

BI - purchased last spring. Absolutely love it!!!!

When I was shopping for BF suits last spring, I ordered an Eagle off of Barefoot Central. It was either the Razor or the Blade, can't remember for sure. It didn't fit quite right and I was not impressed with the construction....it was nowhere near the quality of my Intensity that had lasted so many years. Sent it back and ordered the BI...very happy with construction, fit, wear, etc.

Your best bet is to go find a shop, look at them and try them on....pick your own best bang for the buck...mine was BI, let us know what yours is.

Footin
12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I have owned an O'Niel and two BI's, you cannot go wrong with Barefoot International.

tex
12-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Go redneck-sleeveless all the way! I love my oneal, intensity, and eagle suits!

JohnnyB
12-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Go redneck-sleeveless all the way! I love my oneal, intensity, and eagle suits!

I owned one BF suit with sleaves....PITA....would never recommend one and would never buy one again with sleeves.

peason
12-27-2008, 11:05 PM
I used to where an intensity sleeveless and really liked it. I now have a sleeveless Vortex that I purchased from Lake Elmo Sports - good customer service and local. I do like the Vortex, it seems to be just as good as quality as the Intensity.

Itsme
12-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Vortex suits all the way!! Mine fits great - they enginered zones that move with your body versus suits of old technology where super thick, single piece padding was the norm. It is nice to see some inovation in barefooting products.

Check out -www.lakeelmosports.com - great customer service and you can find some great deals.

Eagle is OK - but not much for innovation. Even their new suits are not up to par with the new Vortex products. Chuck Gleason is concentrating on more graphic changes than actual product changes.

Barefoot International makes nice "utilitarian" product - not much for help with movement with more athletic movements.

Good luck!!

Itsme
12-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Also - we have attended Footstock in Crandon, WI for the past few years.

About 80% of the suits there are Vortex / Eagle and the rest are a hodge-podge of the other manufacturers.

I take this as the best way to judge product - Footstock brings the best in the world to compete head to head in figure 8's

03 35th Anniversary
12-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Vortex suits all the way!! Mine fits great - they enginered zones that move with your body versus suits of old technology where super thick, single piece padding was the norm. It is nice to see some inovation in barefooting products.

Check out -www.lakeelmosports.com - great customer service and you can find some great deals.

Eagle is OK - but not much for innovation. Even their new suits are not up to par with the new Vortex products. Chuck Gleason is concentrating on more graphic changes than actual product changes.

Barefoot International makes nice "utilitarian" product - not much for help with movement with more athletic movements.

Good luck!!

X2

I have used Iron, BI and Eagle.

I find the Vortex to be much more comfortable and flexible.

SkiDog
12-29-2008, 06:18 PM
I have owned an O'Niel and two BI's, you cannot go wrong with Barefoot International.

Are those the ones that come with the built in coat hanger?:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Slinkyredfoot
12-29-2008, 07:31 PM
X2

I have used Iron, BI and Eagle.

I find the Vortex to be much more comfortable and flexible.

That's nothin', I got an old Intensity that protects my azz just fine....:D

Footin
12-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks for reminding me Eddie!

:D