PDA

View Full Version : HOA trouble, need advice

michael freeman
12-24-2008, 07:25 PM
My Home Owners Association board just elected new board members and I have a serious feeling at least one does not like me for some reason.

I park my boat beside my house. It is probably 100 ft from the street, behind a 6+ foot privacy fence. It has been parked there since I purchased it 3 years ago with no issues until this new board member(s). You can't actually see the boat, but you can see the tower (X30) and the top most part of my cover.

The rule is that boats must be "properly concealed from public view." There are other bylaws that state items must be 100% concealed. To me I believed that my boat was properly concealed due to three years of no complaints when the management company knew it was there. Due to the trees in my front yard and my house the boat can not be easily seen until you are in my drive way (sidewalk) in the summer but is easier to see in the winter when the leaves drop.

I tried playing nice and moved it to my back yard where it could not be seen from my front yard, but they now claim they can see the top of my tower from the street behind mine. I suggested increasing my fence height to 8' (which my fence permit would allow) but then they said they would not approve that height (even though the previous board already did). The board member at this meeting instructed me that they already decided that I need to remove my boat from my property and nothing I say matters. (this was a hearing required in Texas law and was held in a driveway of one of the board members.) I

Any way, there are other house owners with violations that are not being harassed, and I was curious if I have any grounds to fight this. Please note that if fighting it will cost more then a marina slip then it doesn't make too much since to fight. I also do not want to harass my neighbors if I can't win this. (i.e., I don't want to force them to correct violations, I just want some relief from HOA)

Any ideas?

Skipper
12-24-2008, 07:37 PM
The HOA can make your life difficult, to say the least. Once quick suggestion would be if your tower folds down then put it down when the boat is in your yard. That may get them off your back for the moment.

In today's, jacked up society, there is no telling what the courts would say. Some guy in California had to cut down thirty year old trees in his yard because they blocked the sun from his neighbors newly installed solar panels. This after a lengthy and expensive court battle.

You could always snatch the HOA guy up some night when he heads out to walk the dog and beat some sense into him. May be against the law, at least if you get caught.

h2oskifreak
12-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I have the same rule and issue. I have no tower so I can conceal it a little better. Does the Covenant state "from street adjoining property". Mine does and as long as it is not visable from my front street I am golden. I have an attorney behind me that looks at it every day and I am sure if he could enforce something, he would.
I would be proactive and look for other violators in the hood. If you can find others, simply state; If it has to be this way for me, then the others must comply also. Pretty soon you'll have the whole neighborhood pissed at the natzi board member and it will all cool down. I have seen it go that way more than once.
I'm sure you are a good neighbor, but if one has to comply then make them all. Color of houses, storage sheds, landscape violations. No hoa is that well run that you couldn't find almost something with every house. Good luck, but "don't get me started" on this one. I am a R.E. Broker and have a ton of examples on how you shouldn't do anything but get out your camera and tell them to cram it.

j2nh
12-24-2008, 09:04 PM
You don't mention whether anyone has officially complained or whether this action was initiated by a board member. Some rules require an official complaint before items become actionable by the board.
I would document all other violations within the neighborhood and file official complaints with the board. Sometimes but not always, official complaints take precedence over non official complaint violations. This might move your issue down the list and the resultant outcry from your neighbors could result in a new board.
Are some peoples lives so empty that this is the kind of BS they get fulfillment from? Pretty sad commentary on some of your neighbors.

Farmer Ted
12-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Can you fold the tower and thus make it hidden?

justinglow
12-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Michael what part of Texas are you in?

Gonzo
12-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Drag it out, take the neigbors skiing, run for the HOA next yr and put him in his place.

D3skier
12-24-2008, 10:53 PM
I had a similar issue with my boat in the backyard as well and sounds like you'll have a major battle on your hands as well... just try to think creative when it comes to what they want. Our issue was they wanted our boat on a cement pad and they allowed us to put it on pavers for a compromise. The HOA rules states that the entire boat must be on cement so I got creative and made the top where the nose sits shaped in to a V and they weren't too keen on that one but I noted that I followed their stipulations and that the entire boat was covered by the agreed upon pavers and there was nothing they could do about it because I followed what they wanted. Bottom line was wife made me square it off just to make them happy.

lanier92prostar
12-25-2008, 12:04 AM
I am own my neighborhoods HOA and I would go to the next board meeting to plead my case. Board meetings should be open to all the HOA members. Find out exactly why this particular HOA board wants it removed but the others did not have you remove it. It could also be a case of just the opposite of what others are suggesting. Maybe they cracked down on someone else that was in violation and decided to enforce the rules to a T. We have the same covenants and we have had some issues with boats that are visible. Go to the next meeting with a list of other violaters both major and minor and see what the entire board says, not just one member. I was the ACC chairman last year and had to deal with issues like this on a regular basis. Good luck to you, PM me if you want to hear the other side of the issue.

h2oskifreak
12-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Go sub-terrianian. Dig out deep enough to put the tower "out of sight". Pile the dirt on the complaining HOA members driveway.

scramison
12-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Go sub-terrianian. Dig out deep enough to put the tower "out of sight". Pile the dirt on the complaining HOA members driveway.

Depending on how much of the tower is showing this may work. Think about making a hill in your backyard. Hire some cheap labor and get to diggin. You may pay for it in less than a year of not having to pay doc fees.

dog paw
12-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Makes my blood boil reading this. Got one in every hood it seems.... If they choose to enforce this they have to enforce EVERY other violation as well.. That in itself alot of times will make things smooth out.

HOA's seem to attract control freaks like a junkyard magnet

lanier92prostar
12-25-2008, 10:46 AM

That would work.:D:D

3event
12-25-2008, 12:23 PM
I like the idea of identifying all the other noncompliant neighbors. Perhaps make a list and bring to board meeting, before you file official complaints on each and every one. Bottom line I think is to "suck it up" as much as possible and play nice even to the hotheads. If you show them they have pushed your buttons, they will just keep pushing!

Good luck!

michael freeman
12-26-2008, 03:05 AM
Michael what part of Texas are you in?

Flower Mound, just north of Dallas/Ft Worth

michael freeman
12-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Drag it out, take the neigbors skiing, run for the HOA next yr and put him in his place.

I actually wouldn't mind taking out my neighbors to the lake if they wanted to go. Most of my neighbors are good people and would be welcome. Heck even one of the board members arguing against me was very polite save for her anti-boat remarks. The other was a bit abrupt/boarder line rude and definitely has a personal issue with me. I actually asked if I had done something to upset her, thinking maybe I could repair the issue and maybe work this out, but she got mad at me asking if I had done something to upset her. (thus digging myself even deeper)

michael freeman
12-26-2008, 03:45 AM
I like the idea of identifying all the other noncompliant neighbors. Perhaps make a list and bring to board meeting, before you file official complaints on each and every one. Bottom line I think is to "suck it up" as much as possible and play nice even to the hotheads. If you show them they have pushed your buttons, they will just keep pushing!

Good luck!

I looked around the neighborhood and there are nicely built sheds that do not comply with the bylaws. I think they look fine and can barely be seen from the road if you were not looking for them (much like my boat). The bad thing is that I know some of the people that are not in compliance, and they are some of the nicest neighbors I have. I would be upset if the HOA started attacking them.

I may talk with the management company that "runs" the HOA. They have been very reasonable, and somewhat embarrassed at the recent activity, but have to enforce the board's orders if they are in the bylaws. Well, embarrassed by it or very good actors because they were constantly apologising for what has been going on. They even admitted they had noticed my boat in the past and didn't consider it an issue these last 3 years.

I think the best solution is to plant some Italian Cypress trees in strategic areas that will allow me to store my boat in the back of my yard and then figure out what I can do to block it's view in the original parking location. Worse case, I can park it where it is at now (middle of back yard) and put the tower down to remove it from "public view" until I can either increase the height of my fence or get the trees to grow a few feet. I plan to go by the nurseries tomorrow and see what height trees are available and the cost. I have about 20-30 ft of fence line that will need to be blocked to fully hide all possible views around my house and through the houses behind me. I would guess at least 10 Italian cypress or possibly some other bushier evergreen tree that grows to at least 12-13 feet within a year or two (assuming I can find some trees already in the 8-10 foot size... and afford them) I will also ask the stores what they would suggest in the area.

We have our once a year meeting in a couple of months. I am definitely going to see what is going on, since I still haven't even spoke to all the board members. Maybe bring a list of violations but not provide street addresses. (i.e., 2 sheds, 3 kids playhouses, etc., that do not meet the HOA bylaws) That would prevent them from using me as a reason to go after these other people. I did notice one of the board members has a violation, so I guess I could present that address. ;)

I also get an hour of free lawyer time via a work benefit and a good discount for time after that. I might as well ask to meet a Lawyer and get their opinion to make sure I'm not already grandfathered in since I have had my boat their for 3 years already or some loop hole like that.

Any Who, Thanks for everyone offering advice and allowing me a place to vent with fellow boat owners. This has really be a pain with everything else going on in my life at this time (I will not bore everyone with those stories)

SkiDog
12-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Keep us updated! I have the same kinda board here too. I cannot keep my boat here in my driveway or yard for that matter. I do push the limits though and leave it in the driveway for about a week at a time. Then I'll get a letter saying I'm not in compliance with the rules, bla, bla, bla. This house can't sell fast enough!:mad:

x-10ron
12-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Can you see it with the tower folded down?

TMCNo1
12-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Keep us updated! I have the same kinda board here too. I cannot keep my boat here in my driveway or yard for that matter. I do push the limits though and leave it in the driveway for about a week at a time. Then I'll get a letter saying I'm not in compliance with the rules, bla, bla, bla. This house can't sell fast enough!:mad:

Skidog, move to NC, we can find you a new place with underhouse boat parking!

1boarder
12-26-2008, 11:09 AM
we had similar issues in my hoa. the laws state no boats in the yard (for more than 7 days), but it has been ignored for 10 years. new board members got in and started going crazy. The ones who got singled out basically threatened to sue the hoa if they didn't enforce every law to everyone all the time. Then someone cut all the tires of the hoa president's 2 cars one night. That was the one that got their attention and things mellowed back out.

I normally put my boat in the garage and may leave it out for a couple of days at a time so I was safe with the 7 day rule.

Footin
12-26-2008, 02:01 PM
I have told this story on here before but I think it worth retelling:

The day I was moving into my current house I had the boat and truck in front of the house so the moving van could back in the driveway.

As the movers were unloading, a elderly woman walked up to me outside, I thought she was going to welcome me to the neighorhood, but nooooooooo, the first thing out of her mouth was "you know you can't keep that boat here, we have rules about these kinds of things".

I politly told the biatch,"I have read the HOA rules and they state you cannot keep a boat or RV in the street or in your driveway for more than 24 hours at a time or 48 hours in a week" So I backed the boat into the front yard, unhooked it and left it there for a week!

I wanted to surround it with pink flamingos, but the wife said I was taking it too far.

wakeX2wake
12-26-2008, 02:36 PM
hahahahahahaha that's awesome footin'

i would seriously take up time w/ the lawyer... they're going to be your best ally in this i'd think... i would have to compile the suggestions here... i'd cite all other violations and take that list to your lawyer and give the lawyer the 3 yr thing... sounds like a load and as said here it really sounds like someone else had an issue and cited all other violators... its a crock and they'll either fold at the least bit of resistance or they'll fight you to the death at which point you bring in the calvary

TX.X-30 fan
12-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Like it or not deed restrictions keep property values up, and without some good luck on what kind of trash will overtake your subdivision. HOA's can be a pain though if they are not professionally operated.

michael freeman
12-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Can you see it with the tower folded down?

They can see the cover where the pole holds it up over the front fence, but I can move it to the back of the yard and put the tower down and probably prevent it from being seen until I can grow some trees/bushes to block the view.

I've never had the tower down, so I will have to see how it works with the cover.

michael freeman
12-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I will contact my HR department and set up an appointment with a lawyer familiar with HOA law in Texas Jan 5th (Company shuts down for a week for Christmas and New Years.) I'll start documenting the other violations so I can bring them with me and go from there.

I will continue to look for bushes, etc. to block the view from the back and None-gated side of my house, to give me more options in the future.

Jim@BAWS
12-27-2008, 09:18 AM
If you report your neighbors you have lowered yourself to the person you
dispize. HOA are there for a reason. More than likely you signed some kind of document when you purchased your home. That is where they gotcha!

Attend the meetings, keep good records, be positve, do not stoop to there level.
If you keep drawing attention by asking forgiveness when you have not even recieved a notice, you have drawn more attention. Having the boat behind the fence in your yard.
Sounds like you win.

Our neighbor hood has the same ***** living there. More complaints on our street than any other in the neighbor hood. I live on a lake. Drives her nuts when I have 3-4 boats on the side of the house. She can't do a thing about it but complain...totally legal except in HER EYES

Good Luck

Jim@BAWS

jgarner
12-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Being our president of our current HOA I will give you guys my opinion. I do like HOA and the value they can add to your house when they are applied to a neighborhood. First off, no matter who is currently running the HOA, you signed the covenants and knew they existed when you moved into the neighborhood, so there is not much you can do about it, but make sure your situation does not violate the covenants. That being said, get very familiar with the covenants and try to resolve the issue without contacting the HOA. If you decide not to correct the situation yourself, you will do yourself a lot of good by documenting every single violation and the address of each. In theory the HOA can not enforce your violation if they are not willing to enforce every other violation. You also need to make sure that they other violations do not have approval from the board, if they do they are free and clear.

Our HOA state that boat and trailers are not allowed at all. However, in the summertime I am willing to let that slide some. If someone has the boat in their driveway for the weekend, it is not a big deal and the board members tend to let it slide, it is all about working and staying in good standing with all the neighbors.

Good luck and keep us posted.

SaltwaterMC
12-27-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm glad we don't have a HOA where I live. That is RIDICULOUS.

michael freeman
12-27-2008, 03:14 PM
...so there is not much you can do about it, but make sure your situation does not violate the covenants.

I was not violating the covenants. My boat was "properly concealed from public view" for three years with no complaints via the management company who noticed my boat and deemed it properly concealed and two separate board tenure.

1) My problem is that the new board has decided to interpreter the covenants differently then the last two boards.

2) I am concerned that I am being singled out, and for some reason, at least one of the board members seems to be angry at me.

3) There are multiple other violations (including the board member's houses) that are clear violations with language in the covenants that leave no room for interpretation.

4) They implied that my opinion did not matter because they are original home owners and I purchased the house from an individual about 5 years ago instead of buying it new 10 years ago.

I do not plan on becoming the neighborhood trouble maker, but if I can prove that the board is discriminating against me. I have no problem standing up for my rights. HOA can not use the covenants to harass me unfairly and then excuse everyone else's violations.

If the board attacks everyone at once, my guess is they will not be re-elected.

michael freeman
12-27-2008, 03:26 PM
If you report your neighbors you have lowered yourself to the person you dispize.

I agree, and I hope I can work around that by not stating addresses. i.e., two sheds can be seen 4 play houses, etc. One of the houses in violation is the HOA pres. I just want equal treatment under the rules.

I will get my options from a lawyer and go from there.

Skipper
12-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Good luck my friend.

I end up moving about every two years. I do not live on post. Army housing makes the worst HOA look like a great bunch of guys.

I know where all of the HOA supporters are coming from. Things can get out of control quickly, then your property values take a dump and you end up with some interesting neighbors. But, I imagine your lawyer friend may be able to show "acceptance" or "approval" by the HOA because there has not been a complaint for the last two years.

Aside from trying to conform, that would be my suggestion.

mitch
12-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm glad we don't have a HOA where I live. That is RIDICULOUS.

I agree, I hate rules

michael freeman
12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree, I hate rules

I don't mind playing by the rules, I just don't like being singled out.

Remember I was playing by the rules for 3 years before they changed their interpretation of the rules.

I have tried to offer to increase the hight of my fence and put in bushes to hide my boat 100 % from all public views and have been told I will not be allowed because they do not want any boats stored at homes.

I just called the management company asking to work out a win win solution and noted the bias I have seen in the enforcement of the rules. I did not file a complaint against anyone and I specifically noted that I wouldn't, I just asked to know which rules are going to be enforced and which ones are not so I can plan accordingly.

I'm trying to play nice and by the rules.

D3skier
12-31-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't mind playing by the rules, I just don't like being singled out.

Remember I was playing by the rules for 3 years before they changed their interpretation of the rules.

I have tried to offer to increase the hight of my fence and put in bushes to hide my boat 100 % from all public views and have been told I will not be allowed because they do not want any boats stored at homes.

I just called the management company asking to work out a win win solution and noted the bias I have seen in the enforcement of the rules. I did not file a complaint against anyone and I specifically noted that I wouldn't, I just asked to know which rules are going to be enforced and which ones are not so I can plan accordingly.

I'm trying to play nice and by the rules.

If the rules don't state anything about a boat specifically then you are playing by the rules and if they haven't done anything about it in the last two years then I say screw em you are giving viable solutions to the problem and they don't want to agree to anything so fight it all the way and stand your ground. I had an issue with our old subdivision where I had my boat hooked to my truck and had to park it in the front of the house because it was poring rain. I ended up getting a fine for $80 bucks and I told them to stick it beacuse I'm not paying it and wasn't in any violation of the rules. I was told by the developer that I was allowed to have my boat there for maintenence etc for less than 24 hours and it wasn't there for more than 5. It took me 9 months and alot of added interested added to the fine but held my ground and got them to remove it once they replaced the administrator at the HOA office.

mdthacker
01-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Sounds to me like you have a very borderline situation with the tower. We had a
similar incident in my neighborhood a few years ago. At that time, the owner of
the boat made it clear to the complainer that the situation could be easily handled.
If desired, the exposed portion of the boat would be "concealed" with the most ugly
cheap blue tarp that could be purchased. This would actually meet most HOA
covenants as they tend to be written. After this, nothing further was heard from
the complainer on the topic.

michael freeman
01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Sounds to me like you have a very borderline situation with the tower. We had a
similar incident in my neighborhood a few years ago. At that time, the owner of
the boat made it clear to the complainer that the situation could be easily handled.
If desired, the exposed portion of the boat would be "concealed" with the most ugly
cheap blue tarp that could be purchased. This would actually meet most HOA
covenants as they tend to be written. After this, nothing further was heard from
the complainer on the topic.

That is pretty funny and it would conceal the boat from public view. ;)

Yellow X9
01-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Put a taller fence up

Harvey
01-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Go with the blue tarp but check with the lawyer before you do it!!!

HOA's are a good idea in theory but they always seem to fail in practice!

captain planet
01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

These types of things I find interesting. Keep us updated!

uawaterskier
01-02-2009, 01:31 PM
how about telling them to piss off?

Yellow X9
01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I agree, I hate rules

Lets hear it fo HOA, telling you what U can and cannot do on your property that your paying for. Hell, I'd hand them my monthly house payment then they could tell me what and what I couldn't do

. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are well established with-out an HOA and property values there are great....I live in an area like this.

my .02

Best of luck to U

TX.X-30 fan
01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Lets hear it fo HOA, telling you what U can and cannot do on your property that your paying for. Hell, I'd hand them my monthly house payment then they could tell me what and what I couldn't do

. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are well established with-out an HOA and property values there are great....I live in an area like this. my .02

Best of luck to U

Rare exception, without guidelines you will live in a slum before long. I live in a place where boats are allowed on a hard surface, I knew this going in and was cool with it so I can leave my boat in the drive as long as I please. I do not do that because these damn boats cost too much and should be stored indoors.

Do you really want your neighbor to park his goose-neck with a d5 dozer on it next to you everyday?? Some might I do not, so I would prefer not to live by you.

Yellow X9
01-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Rare exception,You live in fantasy land, COLOR] without guidelines you will live in a slum before long.[COLOR="Blue"]In 17years same Neighborhood, doubt it. I live in a place where boats are allowed on a hard surface, I knew this going in and was cool with it so I can leave my boat in the drive as long as I please. I do not do that because these damn boats cost too much and should be stored indoors. Agreed, the Escalade sits outside here,9 is in the garage

Do you really want your neighbor to park his goose-neck with a d5 dozer on it next to you everyday?? Some might I do not, so I would prefer not to live by you. Trying to remember the last time I saw this in a nice residentual area-NOT

Personally, if it stored respectfully / tasefully at your residence, there should be no one telling you you can't.

TX.X-30 fan
01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
We may have different ideas as to what is respectfully? I don't want farm equipment, dozers, semi's and that sh!t next to my house. You want to do as you please and park all kinds of crap in your yard buy out in the country on land.

PendO
01-03-2009, 01:14 AM
We may have different ideas as to what is respectfully? I don't want farm equipment, dozers, semi's and that sh!t next to my house. You want to do as you please and park all kinds of crap in your yard buy out in the country on land.

Damn Stu - you are so much smarter since you returned from being banned ... if you can't store your boat in your garage, pay for storage ... if your other neighbors are breaking the covenants, enforce the covenants ...

michael freeman
01-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Put a taller fence up

I offered to do this and they said they would block me from doing that, via not approving a taller fence.

Please note I already have approval for a taller fence from the old HOA and the city, but they say that since I didn't build it that high when I got the approval, it is void now.

There is more at work here then just seeing my boat, just don't know what that is.

michael freeman
01-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Rare exception, without guidelines you will live in a slum before long. I live in a place where boats are allowed on a hard surface, I knew this going in and was cool with it so I can leave my boat in the drive as long as I please. I do not do that because these damn boats cost too much and should be stored indoors.

Do you really want your neighbor to park his goose-neck with a d5 dozer on it next to you everyday?? Some might I do not, so I would prefer not to live by you.

Just to give you a reference, I moved my boat behind my house where it could not be seen from the front yard, BUT you can see the top 4 inches of the tower through an opening between houses behind me and their high fences and trees. i.e., you would never even know it was there or what it was, that is a piece of pipe with a light in the center, unless you stopped in a spot about 2-3 foot in length and looked between the houses. Oh and even then it is over 250ft back from that street.

Anyway, I missed a call yesterday and will have to wait until Monday to call them back.

SaltwaterMC
01-03-2009, 10:00 AM

. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are well established with-out an HOA and property values there are great....I live in an area like this.

my .02

Best of luck to U

I agree with Yellow X9 here. Where I live, and other surrounding neighborhoods near me there is no HOA, property values are very high, beautiful homes, and everyone seems to be alright with it. My X-Star sits next to my house, with no fence or bushes blocking it from public view. If that is an example of things getting out of control resulting in lowering property value I have yet to see/feel the effects.

h2oskifreak
01-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I offered to do this and they said they would block me from doing that, via not approving a taller fence.

Please note I already have approval for a taller fence from the old HOA and the city, but they say that since I didn't build it that high when I got the approval, it is void now.

There is more at work here then just seeing my boat, just don't know what that is.

Freeman, Why do they say you approval for the higher fence in "expired"? I would try this: go to City first and see if there approvals have expiration built into the approval process. Then if not, go to HOA and search into why they take that position. Is it in the Bylaws, or where? If it's just some guy taking a position, maybe you can get them there.

TX.X-30 fan
01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Just to give you a reference, I moved my boat behind my house where it could not be seen from the front yard, BUT you can see the top 4 inches of the tower through an opening between houses behind me and their high fences and trees. i.e., you would never even know it was there or what it was, that is a piece of pipe with a light in the center, unless you stopped in a spot about 2-3 foot in length and looked between the houses. Oh and even then it is over 250ft back from that street.

Anyway, I missed a call yesterday and will have to wait until Monday to call them back.

I can't see why anyone would say a word really. Don't take my support for deed restrictions to mean hoa's don't do some stupid sh!t. Had the head guy in my last place ***** because I failed to get an ok to replace a fence, just stupid falling rotten fence and I replace with beautiful new and they *****. I add a natural stone retaining wall to my steep drop-off in front, he *****es no architectural committee approval. Good luck sounds like power run amok.

Yellow X9
01-03-2009, 12:53 PM

I guess in the Austin area, if thats the area u live in-Lake Travis, they park they park Heavy equipment in residential neiborhoods. However in N. Texas, Arlinton, TX. to be exact. I DON'T see that. One should research the area prior to moving there.

I had caught a news clips on Fox news about a month ago, in the Plano area, where a resident of an HOA was given Sh*t for putting status in his front yard, 3 to be exact,
Tasefully / Respectfully- Dam, there those two words again, done. Was asked to remove them. Guess property values were in jepordy with these in the front yard. B/S

HOA's I guess have there place and for those needing security for there purchase more power to U. Not for me and like I said before, if someones going to tell me what I can an can't do on MY land, I'd hand them the next Mortgage payment.

Just for the record, there is 1 house in my HOOD with a 5th wheel trailor, 40ft. He keeps it along the side of his house and in no fashion taking away from property values.

michael freeman
01-11-2009, 08:56 AM
HOA management company "lost" my permit for my fence, so I found mine and verified with management company that it authorized me to have up to an 8' fence. Agent said that it did but that she would need me to have a copy of it for her records. I added a note confirming what she had said, signed and dated the note and faxed it to her. I asked her about my other "approval" forms, and she said she had none.

I bought most of the materials after she confirmed I had approval and will increase it to 8' as soon as my brother can come down with the welder. (steel frame gate frame needs higher supports) this should block the view of my boat tower assuming a 6' eye point from the street over the 8' fence.

JohnE
01-11-2009, 09:14 AM
I'll bet you could have a lot of eyesores in your yard that meet the HOA regulations. Maybe you ought to use some to make a point.

shepherd
01-11-2009, 10:21 AM
HOA's are f'd up. Anybody who agrees to buy a house in a neighborhood whose neighbors have that much control over you... well, you get what you deserve. I've owned houses in three different neighborhoods and everyone kept their yards and houses in nice shape. Sure, some people would park a boat (oh no!) or a mobile home in his driveway. But I never had a neighbor with a dozer parked in his front yard. Of course, I never lived in Texas...

TX.X-30 fan
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
HOA's are f'd up. Anybody who agrees to buy a house in a neighborhood whose neighbors have that much control over you... well, you get what you deserve. I've owned houses in three different neighborhoods and everyone kept their yards and houses in nice shape. Sure, some people would park a boat (oh no!) or a mobile home in his driveway. But I never had a neighbor with a dozer parked in his front yard. Of course, I never lived in Texas...

What kinda wise crack is that???? LOL

No I do not have backhoes in my area, I do have a 63mile long, 270 miles of shore average 62' depth...................lake out my back yard.

shepherd
01-11-2009, 01:14 PM
What kinda wise crack is that???? LOL

No I do not have backhoes in my area, I do have a 63mile long, 270 miles of shore average 62' depth...................lake out my back yard.

Yeah, that was an unfair crack about TX. Sorry.
You can't beat waterfront (at least waterfront without a HOA). I spend most of my time looking at the water out behind my house (saltwater bay leading to Gulf, unlimited shoreline), so I really wouldn't care too much if my neighbor had a mobile home in his yard.