PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a newer Impala SS?

damaged442
12-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Looking to buy an 06 Impala, either an LTZ with the 3.9 L V6 or the SS with the 5.3 L V8 with "Displacement on Demand". Do any of you have any experience with the 06-08 SS? What do you think about it? So far, the price is right on it. Both cars are the same price, $13,995. Both have 25,000 miles. I test drove them both last night and got 24 mpg with the SS at 70 mph. I don't think that's too bad for 303 hp. The 3.9 L was only 1 mpg better. Thanks in advance.

x-10ron
12-24-2008, 09:15 AM
My mom's ss only gets 13mpg city, that with a 54 year old lady driving, i don't know how you got 24mpg, that must have been on instant fuel economy, DOD seem to only come on during decel's.
Highway milage may be better, I would op for the v6, it's got plenty of power, plus resale should be higher due to the fact no one want a v8 anymore. Although the ss does have a awesome sounding exhaust!!!

damaged442
12-24-2008, 09:23 AM
The 24 mpg was just highway, at about 70 mph. It was lower around town for sure. The DOD on this car seemed to kick on as soon as I got up to speed. It spent quite a bit of time on the 4 cyl mode. I was surprised, wasn't sure if it was normal. I definitely agree about the exhaust. It sounds pretty good! How long has your mom had the car?

MIMC
12-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey There Damaged 442 -

As a Service Engineer for GM, you can't go wrong with either package. V8 is nice, MPG will take a hit, torque steer can be a little harsh at times, that much HP in a front wheel drive. DOD will increase MPG, it is engineered to be in 4 cyl mode as much as possible without the customer even knowing. I will tell you the tire package with the V8 will be a challenge in the winter. Really depends if you need the SS performance, I love my GM, but I was never really sold on a SS on a front wheel drive vehicle. Also, the FE3 suspension on the SS might get old after a while. I drove a Grand Prix w/ the V8 and the stiff ride got to me after a while. The V6 with LTZ is a GREAT package. If you buy new let me know, I can try and get you my discount! I believe we have GM employee discount for family and friends through 1/5/09. Send me an email at MIMastercraft@AOL.com if interested. Regardless, Merry Christmas!

MIMC

JimN
12-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Hey There Damaged 442 -

As a Service Engineer for GM, you can't go wrong with either package. V8 is nice, MPG will take a hit, torque steer can be a little harsh at times, that much HP in a front wheel drive. DOD will increase MPG, it is engineered to be in 4 cyl mode as much as possible without the customer even knowing. I will tell you the tire package with the V8 will be a challenge in the winter. Really depends if you need the SS performance, I love my GM, but I was never really sold on a SS on a front wheel drive vehicle. Also, the FE3 suspension on the SS might get old after a while. I drove a Grand Prix w/ the V8 and the stiff ride got to me after a while. The V6 with LTZ is a GREAT package. If you buy new let me know, I can try and get you my discount! I believe we have GM employee discount for family and friends through 1/5/09. Send me an email at MIMastercraft@AOL.com if interested. Regardless, Merry Christmas!

MIMC

What is your opinion of the smaller engines? I know the 3.8L but what about the 3.5L? Is it worth getting or avoiding?

So, they're doing the 8-6-4 cylinder thing again, eh? My uncle had to work on the original and never thought it would work successfully.

zberger
12-24-2008, 11:38 AM
What is your opinion of the smaller engines? I know the 3.8L but what about the 3.5L? Is it worth getting or avoiding?

So, they're doing the 8-6-4 cylinder thing again, eh? My uncle had to work on the original and never thought it would work successfully.

computers are ingenious things these days 8p

JimN
12-24-2008, 12:23 PM
computers are ingenious things these days 8p

They are but both have mechanical components that may/may not cause problems later. The original had some kind of processor, but I can't imagine that it was very powerful. IIRC, the first version used a lot of relays.

damaged442
12-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Hey There Damaged 442 -

MIMC

Thank you very much all around, for both the information and the discount offer!! I really appreciate it. A new car is definitely out the question at this point. I'm looking to replace my 01 Impala LS which has served me well for the last 5 years. It was a great car that definitely didn't owe me anything.

As far as the 3.9 L goes, when did GM introduce the DOD/AFM on this engine? I'm not sure this 06 LTZ has it, but I do know it was available on the 07. Is there much of a difference mileage-wise with or without it on the 3.9 L? I'm still trying to figure out which car I want to go with. Thanks again!!

dog paw
12-24-2008, 05:17 PM

Boy this aint your pappys 8-6-4 :D Its a 8 or a 4 They drop #'s 1-7-4-6 These use lifters thet "unlock" and drop valvetrain action and fuel/ingnition when activated. Its quite a setup and has worked very well. Seamless transition, prolly fooling yourself if you think you feel them switch....

I could kick myself in the butt for not getting a Grand Prix with the 5.3AFM Those suckers rock... Like MIMC said you better be holding on to the wheel or it will pull it out of your hands. I'm surprised they did not catch on better.

x-10ron
12-26-2008, 09:56 AM
The 24 mpg was just highway, at about 70 mph. It was lower around town for sure. The DOD on this car seemed to kick on as soon as I got up to speed. It spent quite a bit of time on the 4 cyl mode. I was surprised, wasn't sure if it was normal. I definitely agree about the exhaust. It sounds pretty good! How long has your mom had the car?

My mom has had the car since new, dec 2005, I've been working at a GM dealer as a shop foreman/tech for the last 15 years. She also came out of a 2002 impala with 3.8, I try to talk her out of the v8, but my dad wasn't havin it. (midlife crisis, guess he wanted to feel 18 again) She loves the car, interior is great, lots of room, but hates the fuel economy. car does has alot of torque steer as menationed before. You will be happy with either car.