PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 05 X-2!

scramison
12-24-2008, 06:54 AM
So I found the boat I wanted. It is red and white with the MCX engine.

Its in good condition and Im pretty excited to get on the water.

Over the next couple of days the weather is going to be warm enough here in Texas to get on the water and actually get some riding in.

I have never launched a boat and was wondering how I should go about this?

I don't know anyone in my area that is into boats as I was introduced to them when I was younger and my buddy left the state.

Anyone in Dallas want to help a newbie out?

coz
12-24-2008, 07:47 AM
So I found the boat I wanted. It is red and white with the MCX engine.

Its in good condition and Im pretty excited to get on the water.

Over the next couple of days the weather is going to be warm enough here in Texas to get on the water and actually get some riding in.

I have never launched a boat and was wondering how I should go about this?

I don't know anyone in my area that is into boats as I was introduced to them when I was younger and my buddy left the state.

Anyone in Dallas want to help a newbie out?

First things first, is your plug in? if not put it in before you leave the house. Figuring how to back down will be the hardest part and it'll just take practice. Remove the rear straps before you back down and fire the boat up before you release the front pin, you don't want to float off the trailer and not have the boat fire, make sure it's running before you launch.
Retrieving is another animal and just take it slow and easy, no hurries. Good luck.

SteveO
12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Scramison, Welcome to the club. We need pics. What lake in Big D are you calling home? If you are Lewy or Grapevine, I'd be happy to help. Also know some storage spots in this part if you need one. If you have not been on DWB, guys are always looking for rides-riders. http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/

JohnE
12-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Congrats on the new boat. Post up some pic's when you have a chance.

ttu
12-24-2008, 10:04 AM
congrats on the boat. it's red and just in time for christmas.:toast:

if i were you i would get with steve and he can teach you the ropes.

CottagerGreg
12-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Congratulations! nice xmas gift to yourself!

ncsone
12-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Scramison - I am in DFW as well - on the NE side. PM me if you need some help. I will be around this Sat-Sun at least.

scramison
12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
First things first, is your plug in? if not put it in before you leave the house. Figuring how to back down will be the hardest part and it'll just take practice. Remove the rear straps before you back down and fire the boat up before you release the front pin, you don't want to float off the trailer and not have the boat fire, make sure it's running before you launch.
Retrieving is another animal and just take it slow and easy, no hurries. Good luck.

Both plugs are out, I will make sure they get in place. Good point about starting it. Hadn't thought of that at all. Retrieving :o

Scramison, Welcome to the club. We need pics. What lake in Big D are you calling home? If you are Lewy or Grapevine, I'd be happy to help. Also know some storage spots in this part if you need one. If you have not been on DWB, guys are always looking for rides-riders. http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/

Thanks. I was thinking lake Lewisville would be my home as that is where I use to wakeboard back in the day. I can go to Grapevine too though as I have a decent towing setup. It would be great to get some assistance as I will be pretty lost in the beginning but Im a fast learner. I will check out DWB.

Congrats on the new boat. Post up some pic's when you have a chance.

Yes, Sir.

congrats on the boat. it's red and just in time for christmas.:toast:

if i were you i would get with steve and he can teach you the ropes.

Gotcha.

Congratulations! nice xmas gift to yourself!

I know right!

Scramison - I am in DFW as well - on the NE side. PM me if you need some help. I will be around this Sat-Sun at least.

Will do.

Here is a photo of me in front of my friend's house just after we figured out how to get the tower down and see if it would fit in his garage, on day one. My garage has a bunch of junk I need to clean out. BTW it didn't fit.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo209/scramison/boatday.jpg

TallRedRider
12-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Beautiful Red boat! Welcome to the club! It is good to have friends that let you take up their garage space...I assume he is expecting a few pulls behind it. Keep friends like that happy.

CottagerGreg
12-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Looks sweet... heck from that pic I say it's in awesome shape! How many hours on that bad boy?

First investment should be a set of V-drive sacs and plumb them in like the stock hard tanks in the back lockers!

thijs
12-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Luckeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey........

Chicago190
12-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Don't unhook the bow strap until you have the trailer in the water. Some people back down with the boat free, I just think its too risky to save 30 seconds. Also, be sure to read on the internet about proper boating etiquette and safety. You don't want to be one of the people who either gets laughed at or endangers people.

sand2snow22
12-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Congrats, sweet looking boat! :)

1boarder
12-24-2008, 05:29 PM
make sure you read some about slow speed manuevering. there are some threads on here and on wakeworld.com. it is not similar to outboards or inboard/outboard setups (I don't know your background, if you know this then disregaurd). Take some time out in open water to practice. when you dock, come in slowly at a 45 degree angle (on the drivers side) and tap it in reverse. this will bring the back around to the dock as they will pull slightly in reverse to the drivers side. One thing that will help keep control around a dock will be to bump the throttle for a second or two at a time while steering. This will allow for control while not gaining to much speed as they don't steer well without being in gear. good luck with the boat

TMCNo1
12-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Congratulations on the purchase!

scramison
12-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Beautiful Red boat! Welcome to the club! It is good to have friends that let you take up their garage space...I assume he is expecting a few pulls behind it. Keep friends like that happy.

Oh yea!

Looks sweet... heck from that pic I say it's in awesome shape! How many hours on that bad boy?

First investment should be a set of V-drive sacs and plumb them in like the stock hard tanks in the back lockers!

It has 370 hours but I didn't clean it before I took the pic and I drove her from California 1700 miles away. The guy that owned it before me was very anal. He replaced seat cushions because the seams didn't look straight from the factory. I bought it from the original owner.

I hear ya about the sacs but I probably need to catch up a little bit skill wise. Last time I rode was 5 years ago and it was behind a ski centrion with a pylon. I did ride behind a moomba one time and it was amazing. I know Im in for quite a suprise once I get behind it in the water because this thing is 10x a moomba.

Don't unhook the bow strap until you have the trailer in the water. Some people back down with the boat free, I just think its too risky to save 30 seconds. Also, be sure to read on the internet about proper boating etiquette and safety. You don't want to be one of the people who either gets laughed at or endangers people.

It came with a boat buddy. Like someone else said just pull the transom straps and leave the bow hooked up?

Do you have anywhere you can point me for a overall run down of boat etiquette and safety?

I can remeber driving my buddy's boat for him and him getting mad because I wasn't following all the rules to the T.

Congrats, sweet looking boat! :)

Thanks, I remeber you helping me on some advice on another boat. Im stooked!

Luckeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey........

:D

make sure you read some about slow speed manuevering. there are some threads on here and on wakeworld.com. it is not similar to outboards or inboard/outboard setups (I don't know your background, if you know this then disregaurd). Take some time out in open water to practice. when you dock, come in slowly at a 45 degree angle (on the drivers side) and tap it in reverse. this will bring the back around to the dock as they will pull slightly in reverse to the drivers side. One thing that will help keep control around a dock will be to bump the throttle for a second or two at a time while steering. This will allow for control while not gaining to much speed as they don't steer well without being in gear. good luck with the boat

ok so just search slow speed manuevering? My background is pretty limited so any help/suggestions are welcome. I would like to be as safe as I can be my first time solo.

Congratulations on the purchase!

Thanks for your help TMCNo1 I'm glad I held out and got what I wanted.

mclovin
12-24-2008, 09:43 PM
congrats on the new ride SCRAMINSON!!!!!!!!! :headbang: if you ever stroll over to lavon,give a holla, were still ridin over here (drysuits) not roughin it.

FrankSchwab
12-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Suggestion for your first launch, especially in cold water: Take three friends, and a long rope. The following assumes a launch with a dock next to it; if you have a wide-open launch with no dock, you can just power it off and go.
0. Turn on the blower when you get to the lake.
1. I would release and latch the boat buddy and remove the rear straps. Leave the winch attached at the bow.
2. Have buddy #1 back the boat into the water real slow (place his hands on the bottom of the steering wheel; if he wants the stern to go right, he should move his hands to the right).
3. When the boat is floating, make sure the throttle is in neutral and the lanyard is hooked up, then start the boat.
4. When it is running well and you're confident that it's not going to leave you stranded in the lake, have buddy #2 lean over the bow and release the winch strap. It helps if buddy #2 is cute and in a bikini.
5. Toss the rope to buddy #3, and have him walk onto the nearby dock. Push the boat off the trailer and have buddy #3 pull you to the dock with the bow facing the lake.
6. Wait for buddy #1 to park the truck and get in the boat, have buddy #3 push you off the dock while stepping into the boat.
7. Push the throttle forward until the transmission engages, and pull away from the dock.
8. While on the lake, practice backing up. Notice that the boat will back to starboard, but not straight or to port. You don't want to learn that lesson while launching on a busy ramp with an expensive boat to starboard.
9. Toss a float in the water - just about anything from a beach ball to a throwable PFD will work. Spend some time trying to touch the float with the bow, with the starboard stern, with the port stern. Try turning around it without touching it. Try backing into it. After half an hour of this, you'll be a lot more practiced for your first attempt at loading it back on the trailer.

This is pretty conservative, but I'm sure you'd really rather remember your first time out on the boat with fondness rather than regret.

The main etiquette points for your first time out are:
- Pay attention to the "No Wake" buoys.
- The boat on the right has the right-of-way.
- Stay away from other boats on the lake. At this time of year, if you could throw a baseball and hit another boat, you're probably too close. This is especially true for anchored fishermen.
- On our lakes, the law requires that boats go counter-clockwise - always stay to the right of the centerline of the bay, channel, etc., that you find yourself in. The law may be different where you are.
- Find the website for whoever patrols your lakes, and find the legally required list of equipment you must have aboard. Appropriately sized Life vests for everyone aboard, a Type-IV PFD, fire extinguisher, distress signals, whatever it is. Make sure you have it.

Have a good time!

/frank

scramison
12-25-2008, 04:12 AM
congrats on the new ride SCRAMINSON!!!!!!!!! :headbang: if you ever stroll over to lavon,give a holla, were still ridin over here (drysuits) not roughin it.

will do!

It helps if buddy #2 is cute and in a bikini.

funny guy....thanks for the suggestions frank.

Chicago190
12-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Other general etiquette:

-If you are just cruising and you see a skier/boarder, immediately go to idle until they pass.

-Do not follow someone pulling a boarder/skier/tuber, you don't want the other driver to have to worry about their person falling and getting hit by you.

-When you start pulling people, if they fall DO NOT make your turn back to them at speed unless they are in danger. Take the time and idle back because it will save the lake from being ruined by rollers everywhere and it gives your rider a breather.

mccobmd
12-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Congrat's on the boat, it's the same hull as my 2006 X1, you'll love it, I know we do. And remember the only thing better than a Mastercraft boat is a paid for Mastercraft boat.

1boarder
12-26-2008, 12:31 PM
One other tip my dad taught me was if your rider falls and boats are around always put your boat between the rider and their boat. If they fall and someone was too close, powerturn and line the boat up with the downed skier and the oncoming boat. It sounds sad, but people do not pay attention and assume they never will see a skier in the water. They will see the boat.

I had this happen this summer. a boat got behind me and just when I was going to tell the wakeboarder, he fell. I powerturned the boat around and headed straight back to the rider and then the boat finally saw my boat and turned way too close to the rider.

My point is always assume that the ones around you are not paying attention and be ready to react to those situations. My dealer had a damaged prop in his shop that I asked about and turns out it got damaged by ripping open a guys skull and killing him.

I don't want to paint a gloom and doom picture, but just watch others around you.

scramison
12-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Other general etiquette:

-If you are just cruising and you see a skier/boarder, immediately go to idle until they pass.

-Do not follow someone pulling a boarder/skier/tuber, you don't want the other driver to have to worry about their person falling and getting hit by you.

-When you start pulling people, if they fall DO NOT make your turn back to them at speed unless they are in danger. Take the time and idle back because it will save the lake from being ruined by rollers everywhere and it gives your rider a breather.

Good to know.

One other tip my dad taught me was if your rider falls and boats are around always put your boat between the rider and their boat. If they fall and someone was too close, powerturn and line the boat up with the downed skier and the oncoming boat. It sounds sad, but people do not pay attention and assume they never will see a skier in the water. They will see the boat.

I had this happen this summer. a boat got behind me and just when I was going to tell the wakeboarder, he fell. I powerturned the boat around and headed straight back to the rider and then the boat finally saw my boat and turned way too close to the rider.

My point is always assume that the ones around you are not paying attention and be ready to react to those situations. My dealer had a damaged prop in his shop that I asked about and turns out it got damaged by ripping open a guys skull and killing him.

I don't want to paint a gloom and doom picture, but just watch others around you.

I will keep it in mind. Im used to thinking this way on my motorcycle so it should come as second nature.