PDA

View Full Version : Car comparison

Jerseydave
12-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Thinking of getting a "fun" car to use instead of taking my gas-guzzling suburban so that the truck can just be used for towing the boat.

Anyone have any experience/opinion on these:

2004-2006 BMW M3
2008-2009 Mini Cooper S Clubman

I know, 2 totally different animals but both around the same $$. Obviously the Mini has better mpg and the M3 would be more fun to drive. What about ride, comfort, attention to detail, resale value, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Iman
12-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Have you seen the new BMW 135? 1addicts.com is a great website for enthusiasts. Since the 1 series just to the U.S. in 2008 you probably won't find one quite as inexpensive as your two choices but they have incredible performance in a basically fairly economical car. Stock the car is quick, 300hp and torque. The stock twin turbos also can be easily tuned for much more performance, in effect $1000 in mods will make the car Corvette fast. A few more $thous will make the car Ferrari fast. I just bought one at 0.9% financing but I think that is over December 31st. Good luck!

The M would have better resale value of your choices. Some M's such as the late 90's M coupe really retain value well.

fletch_n_me
12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Well both made by BMW and I am a hardcore bimmer fan. The E46 M3 only comes in a coupe which may or may not be a problem for you. The jury is still out insofar as the Clubman resale value goes but I can't imagine it would be that poor.

I say go M3 but I am biased. When you see that low-slung meaty car flying along it is just awesome. Post some pics when you get something.

CottagerGreg
12-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Hands down the M3 for "fun", handling, posh appeal, fit and finish, resale value etc.

Mini's rattle after two years...

dapicatti
12-24-2008, 11:59 AM
M3...M3..M3.. only choice.

Jerseydave
12-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Well both made by BMW and I am a hardcore bimmer fan. The E46 M3 only comes in a coupe which may or may not be a problem for you. The jury is still out insofar as the Clubman resale value goes but I can't imagine it would be that poor.

I say go M3 but I am biased. When you see that low-slung meaty car flying along it is just awesome. Post some pics when you get something.

Is the E46 a performance option? I'd lean more toward a ragtop, so the standard M3 would suit me just fine I'm sure. Is there a good BMW forum online? Trying to learn all I can.

My Brother-in-law has a new 3-series with the twin turbo engine. I drove it.............the car just wants to run! His is an auto, but I would think most drivers would prefer a stick in an M3.........am I right?

sand2snow22
12-24-2008, 04:36 PM
No brainer......M3...., if the clubman is that long looking thing, it's fugly.....Why not between an M3 and a Copper S?

Jerseydave
12-24-2008, 04:52 PM
No brainer......M3...., if the clubman is that long looking thing, it's fugly.....Why not between an M3 and a Copper S?

I figured the clubman would have more leg space in the rear seat area, plus with rear seat folded I could carry a few wakeboards.:D

I answered my E46 question...........M3 from 2001-2006.
www.M3forum.net looks like a good place for me to start learning about M3's.

fskof
12-25-2008, 12:52 PM
It depends on what budget you are in. I love both the BMW M3 and the Mini Cooper S but I would also test drive the Porsche Boxster S, 911, and a M-B SL 500.

This is a great time to buy a car since the prices are dropping. Not so good if you are planning on trading in a car.

Jerseydave
12-27-2008, 08:45 AM
It depends on what budget you are in. I love both the BMW M3 and the Mini Cooper S but I would also test drive the Porsche Boxster S, 911, and a M-B SL 500.

This is a great time to buy a car since the prices are dropping. Not so good if you are planning on trading in a car.

Love all 3 you mentioned, but would like a back seat for the kids on occasion.
I'm pleasantly surprised that a 2004-2005 M3 ragtop can cost less than a Cooper S. Found a few on autotrader in my area for around $30K +or-.

No trade-in, so hopefully I can haggle on a purchase.

fskof
12-27-2008, 11:28 AM
If you need a back seat then the BMW M3 is the way to go. Due to the struggling economy you can pick up a used M3 for very little $$$.

For a good BMW forum online Try:
http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/
http://www.m3forum.net/

You should also join the BMW Car Club of America http://www.bmwcca.org/
When you join you will receive a monthly magazine called the Roundel. It's a magazine about all BMW's and Mini's.

I had a 2004 M3 so if you have any questions about the car just ask

Its a buyers market right now. Good luck with your search.

Jerseydave
12-29-2008, 07:28 PM
fskof,

2004-2005 M3 would be the year (s) I'd be interested in. I read about checking the rear body mounts, making sure they aren't getting ripped away from the body (track cars mostly have this problem)

What's your opinion about a convert vs. coupe? Why is the coupe about .5 seconds quicker? (not that it matters much to me) Do you favor the 6-speed or auto?

I joined M3forum.net, really good info there. (and some nice cars for sale too)

Thanks in advance

sand2snow22
12-29-2008, 10:27 PM
fskof,

Why is the coupe about .5 seconds quicker?

B/C the convertible always has 4 hot girls in it :D

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2009, 01:22 AM
2004-2006
2008-2009
resale value?
The resale value of the '09 will drop more rapidly than the '04.

Itsme
01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
If you need a back seat then the BMW M3 is the way to go. Due to the struggling economy you can pick up a used M3 for very little $$$.

For a good BMW forum online Try:
http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/
http://www.m3forum.net/

You should also join the BMW Car Club of America http://www.bmwcca.org/
When you join you will receive a monthly magazine called the Roundel. It's a magazine about all BMW's and Mini's.

I had a 2004 M3 so if you have any questions about the car just ask

Its a buyers market right now. Good luck with your search.

We picked up a 2001 M3 Conv - 6 speed from Arizona a couple of years ago. Mama uses it for a summer car. It has quite a bit of room and the full-size car seat fits in the rear very nicely. Great to have a decent size trunk and the safety of a BMW as well-

Definitely some great deals on 333hp, low milage M3's for certain right now. Beware of the SMG tranny and go for the 6 speed.

Jerseydave
01-05-2009, 07:37 PM
We picked up a 2001 M3 Conv - 6 speed from Arizona a couple of years ago. Mama uses it for a summer car. It has quite a bit of room and the full-size car seat fits in the rear very nicely. Great to have a decent size trunk and the safety of a BMW as well-

Definitely some great deals on 333hp, low milage M3's for certain right now. Beware of the SMG tranny and go for the 6 speed.

Thanks for the advise on the 6-speed, my preference too.
I think the 2001-2002's had a recall on engine bearings, did you know about that?

Crazy question for you, a have a 138 cm wakeboard.......will it fit in the trunk of the convertible? Maybe 2 boards? Sometimes I go wakeboarding on my friends X-1, nice to know I can take my gear with me without putting it in the back seat.

sand2snow22
01-05-2009, 11:59 PM
I saw a clubman S last night, I'll retract my previous post. It looked pretty good.