PDA

View Full Version : Need Replacement Starter...

ski6at41off
05-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Hello all,

I have a 1994 PS190 with an Indmar 310hp Chevy 350. Does anyone have any idea what Year and model car starter would be equivalent to the starter that came out of this boat ?? I know i can get one at skidim for alot of money, but you can get rebuilt starters at the Auto parts stores for $29 ( I know my Old 1979 Mastercraft with a Ford 351 would take a 1979 Ford Ranchero starter as a direct replacement... cost $25 with a LIFETIME warranty...)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated !!

Thanks again !!

oxmach
05-11-2005, 02:14 PM
From what I understand, the starter on the Indmar engines has been designed to be spark proof, to prevent a potential explosion in the bilge. I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace with a non spark arrested starter.

AirJunky
05-11-2005, 02:15 PM
The starter is definitely not an item you can replace with an automotive replacement. They are marinized so any sparks from inside the starter cannot ignite fuel vapors inside the engine compartment.

Ski-A-Rees
05-11-2005, 03:34 PM
My friend has a (Cough Malibu Cough) and when his died, He got a starter for a 350 Chevy Surburban/Tahoe and it worked great! I wouldn't reccomend it for long term use because the first time it gets wet it will freeze up unlike a marine starter. I have done it for temporary situations though!

André
05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Hello all,

I have a 1994 PS190 with an Indmar 310hp Chevy 350. Does anyone have any idea what Year and model car starter would be equivalent to the starter that came out of this boat ?? I know i can get one at skidim for alot of money, but you can get rebuilt starters at the Auto parts stores for $29 ( I know my Old 1979 Mastercraft with a Ford 351 would take a 1979 Ford Ranchero starter as a direct replacement... cost $25 with a LIFETIME warranty...)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated !!

Thanks again !!
Have the original rebuilt.You have a 18000 $ (roughly) boat and you want to save a couples of bucks putting a car starter that could injure you and your family.It makes no sense to me!

oxmach
05-11-2005, 04:11 PM
There was a comment from Engine Nut on the fact that Indmar uses as many auto parts as they can to keep costs down. The starter was one that was specifically noted as being an exception. They wouldn't go throught the expense and trouble if it was not required. Andre's point is good, which got me thinking to liability for others, insurance etc. I'd rebuild or buy an OEM...maybe pick up the difference by teaching co-eds to ski ;)

bcampbe7
05-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I bought mine last year from these guys.
DB Electrical (http://www.dbelectrical.com/marine/inboard.shtml)
Great company and great product thus far. Call them up and tell them what you have. They should know what starter you will need.

ski6at41off
05-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Thank you to those of you who offered suggestions !!

I was able to fix it this afternoon, and now works fine...

I considered $200 a substantial savings for those of us on limited budgets...

Anyway, thanks again !!!!

Ric
05-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Have the original rebuilt.You have a 18000 $ (roughly) boat and you want to save a couples of bucks putting a car starter that could injure you and your family.It makes no sense to me!
andre how much is that in dollars?