PDA

View Full Version : exhaust risers leak

SPLIFF
12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
i noticed water coming out of both exhaust risers in the same place i was going to change the seals on them is there anything i need to know or is it as easy as it looks unbolt the risers and clean the old seals out and replace them. also is there more than one seal on each riser? prostar 350 195. thanks for the help.

TMCNo1
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Any MC dealer or, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1068 carry the gaskets and can advise you as to what needs to be done. I replaced mine with a set years ago that I got from MC that were silicone coated and self sealing and all I had to do was clean the surfaces of the manifold and riser. They have now lasted longer than the original set from the factory.

mayo93prostar
12-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I put a new set from skidim last summer. i do not think they were self sealing like No. 1 had. my new ones are leaking a little and I think it is because I did not put any gasket cement on them, and/or the surfaces are not perfectly flat. I need to replace, polish/mill surface and use some gasket sealer. not very hard. a little tricky to get some of the bolts out top of riser.

east tx skier
12-26-2008, 01:37 AM
a little tricky to get some of the bolts out top of riser.

The older the boat, the trickier it is to get those allen bolts out of there. Big PITA when I did it. I think JimN recommended airplane gasket sealant or something like that from NAPA.

But like you said, if the surfaces aren't smooth, it's not going to seal too good.