PDA

View Full Version : lakes in north or south carolina

eswolfgang
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Looking to move...getting tired of NJ winters and short lake seasons...what nice lakes are in the North or South Carolina area.....

thanks much

JohnE
12-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Tons of lakes there from what I understand. Wylie and Norman are the 2 biggest I believe. Wylie spans both states. Norman is a little north of Wylie in NC.

TMCNo1
12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
What career do you have and maybe I can assist in giving you some info and lakes that will assist in your search. I'm in the Piedmont (Central) area, Winston Salem, Greensboro, High Point area, with several lakes within a 45 minute drive or less. I'm only 7 miles from Belews Lake, NE of Winston and NW of Greensboro.
You can also check here, www.dukepower.com/lakes, (http://www.dukepower.com/lakes) Belews Lake is not shown on that map, but do a search and it will come up.

(http://www.dukepower.com/lakes)

kdr
12-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Also depends on what area you are looking at. I'm near Raleigh. We have Falls Lake, Jordan Lake, and Harris Lake all very close to the Triangle Area. There are no homes on these lake, but that adds to their appeal in my opinion. If your looking for a place on the lake and a little more of a drive, then you have Hyco (which is heated) and Mayo near VA north of Durham, of Kerr and Gaston. These are all very nice lakes.

If your looking at Charlotte, then the the main lakes are Norman and Wylie. There are a lot of smaller lakes there as well, I'm just not familiar with them. In the upstate of SC, there is Lake Hartwell and Jocasse. Hartwell is a decent lake, and I've heard that Jocasse is beautiful. Plus that whole area (Greenville/Spartanburg) is very nice. You are very close to the mountains, and not too far from Asheville, which can make for a good weekend trip.

Columbia, has Lake Murray. I spent a good bit of time on this lake and never really got to like it. It seems like sheltered coves are hard to come by, although I am sure that many people will disagree. If you choose this area I would recommend living in one of the towns outside Columbia. I personally hated living there. I was there 5 years and I'll never go back.

Charleston. You've trophy lakes (lessons, etc.), Bushy Park near the naval base in North Charleston and Lake Marion about an hour away. Bushy Park has some great water, but it also has Gators. It takes a while to get used to seeing them. Lake Marion is big with alot of stumps, but I always had good riding and good times there. Plus, I have heard that there are gators in Marion, but I never saw one.

My personal advice: come to North Carolina. Really just about anywhere you choose in the NC, you can find good water in a reasonable distance.

Jerseydave
12-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Looking to move...getting tired of NJ winters and short lake seasons...what nice lakes are in the North or South Carolina area.....

thanks much

I agree with you about those cold NJ winters..............10 degrees last night!
Have you tried Smith Mt lake, VA? Near Roanoake, beautiful lake with clean water and lots of fingers and coves for skiing/riding. Season may be shorter than the Carolinas, but still better than NJ.

BTW, where do you run your boat here in NJ? We're on the Delaware river near Florence.

cmw
12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=njskier;564667]I agree with you about those cold NJ winters..............10 degrees last night!

16 degrees in Atlanta at 6:30 am. Currently 29.:rolleyes:

Tap
12-22-2008, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=kdr;564642]
Charleston. You've trophy lakes (lessons, etc.), Bushy Park near the naval base in North Charleston and Lake Marion about an hour away. Bushy Park has some great water, but it also has Gators. It takes a while to get used to seeing them. Lake Marion is big with alot of stumps, but I always had good riding and good times there. Plus, I have heard that there are gators in Marion, but I never saw one.
QUOTE]

Living in Charleston: The gators are not an issue, past the first pull, the course at Bushy park is in good shape. We have only seen one gator on multiple weekends out. I would worry more for stumps in Lake Marion than gators. Bushy Park has a local bass tournament on Thursday afternoons but otherwise the water is glassy. Trophy Lakes can be a good deal. THe cost of sessions on the water can be less than monthly boat payments and you are more or less guaranteed perfect ski conditions.

TMCNo1
12-22-2008, 02:10 PM
16 degrees in Piedmont NC last night too, with wind gusts to 50 mph. Coldest Christmas time we've had here in 60 to 8 years, but highs in the mid 60's by Christmas day into the weekend. Finally car washing time!

kdr
12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Tap,

I really like Bushy Park. I don't believe the gators are an issue, but I wasn't exactly volunteering to go first after I saw one there. It's a mental trip to see those eyes just above the water when it's all glassy. Makes you just hang back a minute before trying that next trick. I haven't been there in probably 8 years, but I saw a gator everytime I went there.

Tap
12-22-2008, 02:59 PM
We make a first pass through the course and get the boat timing right. That's about the only time you see them around the course. About twice a summer, we stay late and shine'em with a q-beam. You make a mental note that "I saw one around the bend here" and you just don't fall or drop at that location. You just make sure that those last 'twilight' runs are in big water and not so close to shore.

Dawg
12-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Western NC is a waterskiers Paradise. Multiple TVA lakes also close in north ga. Fontana Lake and lake Appalachia have no homes, only crystal clear glass. We ski year round. We are the only ones out from Oct.-May. Your career would be the only factor. Small communities, not much in regard to employment, but getting better.

Wake190
12-22-2008, 09:42 PM
I live in Raleigh and enjoy Falls Lake a couple times a week during the season. I agree with KDR the lack of homes makes the lakes in the triangle great. My family rents a house for a week each summer at Smith Mountain Lake, VA. We can't say enough about it.

Gonzo
12-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Dont forget Gaston, lots of homes for sale there you can live very close to I 85 for access to durham etc... if you choose. Its also the northern part of NC so depending on your choice and state tax issues, you can live in Va or NC.

Gonzo
12-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Actually --- come to CSM make a week + vacation out of it and put in at all of them drive around on the water and see which one suits you best.

djhuff
12-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Also depends on what area you are looking at. I'm near Raleigh. We have Falls Lake, Jordan Lake, and Harris Lake all very close to the Triangle Area. There are no homes on these lake, but that adds to their appeal in my opinion. If your looking for a place on the lake and a little more of a drive, then you have Hyco (which is heated) and Mayo near VA north of Durham, of Kerr and Gaston. These are all very nice lakes.

Shhhhh, Hyco doesn't offer anything that someone would be looking at in a lake to live on. Stay away, it's bad for your boat to be in warm water all year. :D

kdr
12-23-2008, 01:46 PM
djhuff,

Did you notice what lake I accidently forgot to include on that list?

BriEOD
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I lived in the Charleston area from 01-06 and loved it! Their is a plethora of water combined with a reasonable cost of living, friendly people and plenty to do.

We frequented Bushy Park occasionally, but regularly went further up on the Tail Race canal. The Tail Race canal is the very top of the Cooper River where the water exits the lock on Lake Moultrie. It was very clean, not to wide open and a great place to be. Yes, it has gators--but no big deal. In addition, Gilligans (formerly The Dock) is right on the river. You can tie up and eat.

I liked the course on Bushy, but the parking and free space on the community pier made it a challenge and I quickly got sick of it. Despite being closer to Bushy, we would go up to the Tail Race.

Alternatively, you could use the upper part of the Ashley River--fresh to brackish. I had some friends I skied with frequently on the river. Additionally, it is closer to Charleston/N.Charleston than Bushy or the Tail Race.

Trophy Lakes is great--but expensive. Plus, depending on where you live, a bit of a commute.

FWIW

GreenSpirit Hydro
12-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately, at Bushy Park people are feeding the Gators from the Pier and now they big boys are starting to come out. We chased off a 12' monster at the end of the season. We ride the Ashley River & Stono River. Just make sure to get a Salt Water Series boat.

abwx2
12-24-2008, 09:46 PM
white lake in north carolina is very nice smooth water from 5a.m. to 9a.m. and smooth water from 6-9p.m.

H20skeefreek
12-25-2008, 11:05 PM
I live in Columbia, SC and love it. I've lived here for 8 years. Are you interested in boarding or skiing, I don't think you ever said. There are lots of places, depends on what you are looking for. There are at least 8 private slalom lakes in the state and plenty of other sites to slalom for free.

H20skeefreek
12-26-2008, 01:03 AM
I just saw you have an X-Series boat. All of the lakes in central SC would be great for you.

Gonzo
12-26-2008, 03:01 AM
Hey Ski Freek do they still hold tournaments at the airport?

jdl xstar
12-30-2008, 11:28 AM

Check out Lake Santeetlah in SW corner of NC. In the Smokey Mountain area. Gorgeous lake surrounded by mountains and right near the Appalachian Trail. Very close to even larger Lake Fontana which is a huge but not really residential like Lake Santeetlah. I rented a house on the lake for a week last August and hauled my '07 X2 up there from Orlando and it was amazing. Problem is that it is not near any big cities so its slightly remote. Also a dry county so getting beer was a pain!

[ATTACH][ATTACH]

Jesus_Freak
12-30-2008, 01:44 PM

Gonzie, have you skied there? If so, what do you think? I have a few times, but it has been a few years. Man, it was nasty! I constantly fell, so I constantly got tangled up in those overgrown swamp weeds. Also, I remember the setup was very short on the side opposite the island.

mcmx2
12-30-2008, 02:30 PM

I believe they took the lake away from the club after 9/11. The lake is still present but they used that area around it to build the parking lots out away from the airport.

H20skeefreek
12-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Nope.......