PDA

View Full Version : Winter Haven Water

wakesport
12-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey, we are think about driving down to Winter Haven for a week of skiing since it's 10 below zero here right now. What's the water level like? We usually stay at Lake Roy Beach Inn. Are the channels open to get out of there? Thanks for any info.

Ski-A-Rees
12-21-2008, 11:36 PM
I was there a couple weeks ago and the water wasn't bad. I was on elosie and summit and they were fine. The Gardens is closed though!

SkiDog
12-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I was there a couple weeks ago and the water wasn't bad. I was on elosie and summit and they were fine. The Gardens is closed though!

You mean closed for good, or just for the season?:(

TMCNo1
12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Contact this guy, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=380883&postcount=1

trickskier
12-22-2008, 04:44 PM
You mean closed for good, or just for the season?:(

Here's your answer......................

November 10, 2008

Cypress Gardens to Close for Rebirth of Park in March - After months of exhaustive analysis by park officials and owners, Florida's first theme park, Cypress Gardens, will temporarily close on Monday, November 17th, for a major renovation. With a reopening scheduled for March of 2009, the plans include expanding the wildly popular water park, while preserving the history and nostalgia of the original park, with a focus on the original botanical gardens and their worldwide notoriety. The ski show shall continue as part of the original park experience. The existing animal area and the ride area will be permanently closed. "The operating expense of running 38 amusement rides, a zoo, the botanical gardens, a ski show, and a water park are considerable," said Cypress Gardens co-owner Rob Harper. "It is obvious the park cannot successfully function as four parks in one. We have some exciting new plans that everyone will be thrilled to see come March," Harper added.

To finish planning for the future of the park and renovate the grounds prior to the March 2009 reopening, Cypress Gardens will complete its last full day of operations on Sunday, November 16. "We are in the process of notifying our employees. The vast majority of them will be temporarily without work at the park during the renovations, and those eligible will be reinstated when renovations are complete," Harper said.

The renovation plans for the park are centered around the core elements that have made Cypress Gardens famous around the world, while simultaneously making it a sustainable long-term success. According to Brian Philpot, Harper's business partner, the key is ensuring that the integrity of the original Cypress Gardens is not compromised by non-original and non-essential elements. "The last thing we want to do is jeopardize the history and long-term future of this storied park with elements that do not promote what made Cypress Gardens what it is today - a beautiful botanical garden for enjoyment by all ages," said Harper. The goal is to add a modern flair to a timeless classic, Harper added. Planned changes include adding a parking area and moving the main entrance back to where it was when the gardens first opened. The new parking area will provide convenient access for visitors to the water park and gardens. Visitors had complained about the long 3/4 mile walk from the current parking lot through the ride area to the water park and botanical gardens. Among other changes come March 2009 are new cultural components showcasing the history of Cypress Gardens. These changes will make the visitor experience much more enjoyable. "Rob Harper and Brian Philpot are doing the right thing with these plans and we look forward to helping them along the way," said Polk County Tourism and Sports Marketing Director, Mark Jackson. "Polk County benefits greatly from the thousands of visitors that come to Cypress Gardens each year and this move will ensure the long-term sustainability of one of Polk County's largest tourism assets."

The renovations come during a normally slow time of year for tourism and with the park ready to reopen right before the peak of the busiest tourism season, the new Cypress Gardens will be poised to attract the many visitors that will be coming to Polk County. Harper stated that is has been a difficult decision to temporarily close for the renovations because the park didn't want to cause any inconvenience to its employees or guests, however, in the long term, this approach is best for all involved. "We regret any inconvenience this may bring to our employees and many guests, and ask for their patience and understanding as these changes are necessary for the sustained long-term success of the park. More information will be available for our pass holders in the weeks ahead and ask that they check our website in coming weeks. We are excited about the future of Cypress

SkiDog
12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Well, all thats good to hear! maybe Altfootr can get a job running the barefoot ski show!

atlfootr
12-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Contact this guy, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=380883&postcount=1

This guy, would be ME ... Yours Truly :rolleyes:
I live here year round obviously and can tell you anything about the town you need to know! :D

SkiDog
12-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Got any water in those lakes yet?

atlfootr
12-22-2008, 06:51 PM
After reading story, re: Cypress Garden Park; the part here where he says "The last thing we want to do is jeopardize the history and long-term future of this storied park with elements that do not promote what made Cypress Gardens what it is today - a beautiful botanical garden for enjoyment by all ages," said Harper. The goal is to add a modern flair to a timeless classic, Harper added.

I sure hope he meant to bring back past time Mastercraft Reunions :D
Chances are nill, they ever will :(

SkiDog
12-22-2008, 06:57 PM
After reading story, re: Cypress Garden Park; the part here where he says "The last thing we want to do is jeopardize the history and long-term future of this storied park with elements that do not promote what made Cypress Gardens what it is today - a beautiful botanical garden for enjoyment by all ages," said Harper. The goal is to add a modern flair to a timeless classic, Harper added.

Ain't gonna happen! Sadly, Those days are LONG gone. What about the water damnit?:confused:

atlfootr
12-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Yea, I know those days are long gone ... jus' wishful thinking.
Now regarding water ... we have plenty!

TMCNo1
12-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Plenty!

atlfootr
12-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Wakesport, haven't heard the latest so you either are on the road or cancelled ... drove over a few canals yesterday and they looked somewhat passable. I did not see anyone going through them so can't be certain of the depth.

We have 13 lakes that are connected via canals known as "The-Chain-Of-Lakes" so there's definite water access somewhere.
I live maybe 10 minutes from Lake Roy Beach Inn, call and we'll ski / foot if ya like.
http://www.le-ad.org/WH_Area_Lakes_&_Amenities_Map%28revised%29_11x17_%281%29.jpg

Jim@BAWS
12-24-2008, 10:36 AM

That will never happen, especially as long as the competition is being used there.

Speaking from experience I KNOW that the skiers prefer MC. But they do not
make the decision. All done by contract. MC entered the ring when the Gardens
reopened the first time. The Gardens would have been better off taking the MC offer but BU
offered more money up front. At this point it does not matter. MC will not go back in anymore and clean up the mess that BU left behind as always. MC offer was more longterm offered money for gate attendance. BU never even paid there final bill to the Gardens for money that they committed to.

A-typical for them...really to bad

Jim@BAWS

jbkriss
05-24-2010, 01:35 PM
ATL, how's the water level now? Can you get to Lakes Lulu and Eloise from Lake Roy this time of year?

Thanks.

atlfootr
05-24-2010, 09:38 PM
We just had a massive down pour a couple hrs ago, every drop helps :D
I'll look into it (your question) tomorrow.

atlfootr
05-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Worse case scenario, you can always put your boat in at the Ramp on Lk Summit and go through the canals over into Cypress Gardens. Summit ramp is less the 5 minutes from the hotel.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=58303&stc=1&d=1274786728

jbkriss
05-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info ATL. Gonna be with a lot of families at the LR Beach Inn and wanted to be able to drop off and pick up but still be able to go to one of the bigger lakes from there. I guess I'll have to test it out sloooooooooooowly... :cool:

atlfootr
05-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Just made a call for you to a local marina, GREAT NEWS!
Lake levels way up, ALL lakes are currently accessible expect one.
You should have NO PROBLEM getting through the channels, when were you planning to arrive?

Just curious :rolleyes:

jbkriss
05-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info that sounds great... Me and my college buddies and our families are meeting there Fathers' Day Weekend. Nothing serious, mostly tubing for the little kids and :toast: for the big kids... Thanks again for the info.