PDA

View Full Version : Video Camera Recommendation

JohnnyB
12-20-2008, 07:18 PM
So its just before Christmas and the battery on my 10 year old Sony Hi8 camera is dead....won't hold a charge. A new battery costs $60. I'm guessing with technology, even a couple year old technology is much better than my old Cam....maybe time to get a new one....any recommendations??

JohnnyB
12-20-2008, 07:21 PM
In looking on-line, the ones that burn direct to DVD are of interest......

bigmac
12-20-2008, 07:45 PM
If you're just into shooting snapshots, like the kids' birthdays and your cat playing with a ball of twine, any old modern video camera will do. If you have any interest whatsoever in editing your video, I'd stay away from the direct to DVD cameras and go with miniDV.

JimN
12-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Batteries Plus and google will probably get a new one soon enough. If you need it for a short time, find out which terminals are + and -, use a wire and a test light (the kind with a light bulb) and connect it to a fully charged battery of equal or higher voltage than the camera's battery, negative to negative and positive to positive. The bulb will limit the current and the voltage will zap the dendrites (as long as none of the cells are totally dead). Leave it connected for about a minute and put it in the charger for a full cycle. It should last fairly long. I just did this with a battery for my Milwaukee hammer drill/driver and it lasts quite a while now. It's also 4 years old and I haven't exactly babied it..

JohnnyB
12-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Jim,

Batteries Plus wanted $60 for a cheap new one. I see new cameras start at $150.

As far as trying to "zap the dendrites", If I understand you correctly, you're saying I should connect the bulb to the old battery and then put a fresh battery of equal or greater voltage in parallel???

JimN
12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Jim,

Batteries Plus wanted $60 for a cheap new one. I see new cameras start at $150.

As far as trying to "zap the dendrites", If I understand you correctly, you're saying I should connect the bulb to the old battery and then put a fresh battery of equal or greater voltage in parallel???

The bulb goes in series on one lead and will limit the current and yes, the batteries will be in parallel. Do this out of the camera and if you have a multi-meter, measure the voltage first- if it's 0VDC, measure the resistance using the meter's diode setting. If it's open, it won't work but if you can measure resistance, try it.

If the new camera is as good, it may be worth buying but will your old tapes be compatible (if you still have and want/need to watch them)?

JohnnyB
12-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Gotcha....

As far as the camera and viewing 'old movies'....it still has an AC adapter

russlars
12-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Since your original post stated that you were looking for a recommendation for a new video camera I would recommend the Canon HV10 found for a great deal here: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-HV10-High-Definition-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000H7MHFC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229884598&sr=8-12
I have owned this camera for over a year now and love it. Small, compact, convenient and incredible high definition video. I like the idea of mini DV tapes still. It is easy to capture the video on your computer if you want to edit and the tapes are great for keeping an archival copy.

Xstreamws
12-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Johnny go to http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Camcorders.75052_11002_7000000000000005702.

Panasonic has 3 ways to record. Its your choice. The newest and easiest to manage video is to SD card. Panasonic has been building cameras for 88 years, and still leads the way with technology.

Here’s my personal choice: The HDC-SD9-8GB is a NEW! Full-High Definition 3CCD Camcorder with 1920x1080-Pixel Recording, Advanced Optical Image Stabilizer, Leica Lens, 10x Optical Zoom, Face Detection and 5.1 Surround Sound, Records to SD Memory Card, Class 4 8GB SD Card Included + Free Battery and Carry Case.

You won’t go wrong with this camcorder.

With all the announcements from Sony lying off 8000 full time employees and 8000 temps 16000 jobs Dec 8th nice Christmas present, this doesn’t leave me with a comfortable feeling about the company.

Panasonic is NOT laying anyone off.

Jesus_Freak
09-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Has anyone tried the Canon VIXIA HG20 or HG21? Some reviews mentioned focusing/auto-focus issues on all HD cameras. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this and anything you can teach me.

stuartmcnair
09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
we have gone away from tape and dvd and moved to the cameras that use SDHC cards. We have a JVC Everio that we use for loading videos to YouTube. We did not get the HD version (because our best friends have that one) but it works great.

Here is a sample... (low res mode, not sure why she did not do this in high res)

Puppies (http://www.youtube.com/user/tmcn1993#play/all/uploads-all/1/2wmb14jNyOM)

Tomsinamerica
09-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I was in the market for one last year and looked at a LOT.

I ended up with one of the Sanyo Xacti. I couldn't get along with the ones shaped like Coke cans and the Sanyo is awesome. Lower price point, exceptionally easy to use and just all around great little video camera.

silverblueBP
09-22-2009, 11:04 AM
I picked up a Samsung SC-HMX10C a few months ago to use in my open track Mustang. Got it for $250 and it shoots great HD video. Here's some video from last week, it's in the standard HD mode, it has 2 HD modes that are better than this, but really hogs up the memory for a 20 min session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYrHlahFJjM

russlars
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I picked up a Samsung SC-HMX10C a few months ago to use in my open track Mustang. Got it for $250 and it shoots great HD video. Here's some video from last week, it's in the standard HD mode, it has 2 HD modes that are better than this, but really hogs up the memory for a 20 min session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYrHlahFJjM
Most video formats look pretty good on youtube. How does it look on a 65" HD television?

silverblueBP
09-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Most video formats look pretty good on youtube. How does it look on a 65" HD television?

Looks great on my 52" LCD!

Jesus_Freak
09-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Has anyone tried the Canon VIXIA HG20 or HG21? Some reviews mentioned focusing/auto-focus issues on all HD cameras. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this and anything you can teach me.

Again....bumping to ask about this particular camera. :o

MIMC
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Had Sony's for years - wish I still had one! We do a bunch of taping and buying tapes, DVD's, mini's, etc - started to get costly. Bought a JVC Everio w/ 60 gig hard drive. Thought I would give them a try and good price at Costco. I've had it for 2 years and for the most part it has worked fine. The resolution can be questionable when zooming along with auto focus, stabilization is so-so, and forget about recording in low light. The little light on the front is pretty much useless, up close it washes out the color. If I had to do it over again I wish I bought the Sony for $50 more. Just my two cents!

MIMC

flyingskibiker
09-23-2009, 08:18 PM
looking at consumerreports.org, their ratings of both non-HD and HD camcorders have Canons cameras all at the top of the reviews in any type they offer: miniDV, flash, etc. they are usually followed by a Sony or two.

for non-HD:
- MiniDV:
- - ZR900
- - ZR950
- DVD:
- - DC410
- - DC330
- Flash:
- - FS21
- - FS11

for HD:
- MiniDV:
- - Vixia HV40
- - Vixia HV30
- Flash:
- - Vixia HF S10
- - Vixia HF S100

many other listings for Canon and the other brands. but those are tops in those catagories...

Jesus_Freak
09-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Thank you flying!

Still thread-jacking looking for any feedback on any known problems with HD camcorders and auto-focus.

russlars
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Thank you flying!

Still thread-jacking looking for any feedback on any known problems with HD camcorders and auto-focus.
I own the Canon HV10 which is a HD mini-DV Camcorder. Crystal clear, sharp focus in all conditions. Video is stunning and I like having the tape as a back archive of my video. Not sure if that helps, but that is what I have to contribute.

bigmac
09-24-2009, 01:29 PM
In a somewhat different category, I've been a big fan of the Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD (I have both. Simple and easy. Probably wont' replace an expensive video camera, but their advantage is they're about the size of a candy bar, so dead simple to have with you.

http://www.theflip.com/products_flip_ultra_specs.II.shtml

FYI, some video I uploaded can be found here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSyer5PgHU4). The quality is impaired by youtube.

The best video camera in the world doesn't do you any good if it's too big to be immediately available (like, in your shirt pocket).

macattack
09-24-2009, 01:38 PM
If you plan on mounting the camera in your boat to record skiing, etc, Trakker Video highly recommends buying a camera w/flash memory and optical stabilization...there are no moving parts (DVDs and hard drives tend to skip/error out), the battery life is much better and it is also easy to play on the computer or give the flash card to a friend to take home and view...mac

http://www.wakevideo.com/Trakker/VideoCamera_choices.pdf

Jesus_Freak
09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I own the Canon HV10 which is a HD mini-DV Camcorder. Crystal clear, sharp focus in all conditions. Video is stunning and I like having the tape as a back archive of my video. Not sure if that helps, but that is what I have to contribute.

Yes, helps me! Thank you.