PDA

View Full Version : Beware Of Thiefs!!!!! Change Your Passwords!

Andyg
12-19-2008, 01:18 AM
I just happened to check my email tonight before going to bed to see that I had three notifications from PayPal that my three transfers were complete. Someone hacked my paypal account and transferred a total of $1000 out of my checking account. Lucky for me paypal realized something fishy was going on and froze my account. I caught it in time so Paypal was able to stop the transfer of money to the people I supposedly sent it to. Before I get it back though they have to go through the formal dispute process to make sure that I didn't actually send the money.

The thing that really amazes me is I have no idea how someone hacked my PayPal account. I never give out my password or send any information to questionable people. The only thing I can think of is they found a different way into my account through the security questions.

Needless to say I just spent the last hour changing all of my passwords on all of my accounts. Here is your reality check that it might be time to change your passwords. I hope that I can at least prevent someone from having the same problem that I do.

Andyg

coz
12-19-2008, 07:41 AM
I just happened to check my email tonight before going to bed to see that I had three notifications from PayPal that my three transfers were complete. Someone hacked my paypal account and transferred a total of $1000 out of my checking account. Lucky for me paypal realized something fishy was going on and froze my account. I caught it in time so Paypal was able to stop the transfer of money to the people I supposedly sent it to. Before I get it back though they have to go through the formal dispute process to make sure that I didn't actually send the money.

The thing that really amazes me is I have no idea how someone hacked my PayPal account. I never give out my password or send any information to questionable people. The only thing I can think of is they found a different way into my account through the security questions.

Needless to say I just spent the last hour changing all of my passwords on all of my accounts. Here is your reality check that it might be time to change your passwords. I hope that I can at least prevent someone from having the same problem that I do.

Andyg

Happened to me too Andy :mad: they got into my paypal, ebay and email and I was locked out for 2 days until paypal & ebay corrected it. No money lost but a real big pain in the a$$.

I can happen to anyone and there's nothing you can do, there are actually people who's job it is to break codes/passwords and access accounts for fraud, they're called thiefs :mad:

bbymgr
12-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Do you use Internet Explorer? There was a big alert earlier this week about hackers coming in through saved passwords using IE. The solution right now is to use Firefox until a patch is created.

bigmac
12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
For years now, PayPal has been after me to become "verified". This entails giving them access to my bank account, or at least providing them with my bank account numbers. I have elected to remain "unverified", giving them only the Amex credit card that I use for online purchases. The problem I have with being "verified" is demonstrated here. Fortunately, in this case, PayPal resolved this for AndyG, but sites like Paypalsucks.com have many, many similar horror stories where the end result wasn't so happy for the customer. At least this way, my liability and potential loss is managed through American Express, which in my experience is much more likely to aggressively protect me than PayPal is.

I recommend that anyone contemplating putting their financial data in the hands of PayPal cruise this website for awhile.

http://paypalsucks.com/

JimN
12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Also, if an e-mail comes in asking for account info of any kind, it's bogus. They never ask for this.

Andyg
12-19-2008, 10:14 AM
For years now, PayPal has been after me to become "verified". This entails giving them access to my bank account, or at least providing them with my bank account numbers. I have elected to remain "unverified", giving them only the Amex credit card that I use for online purchases. The problem I have with being "verified" is demonstrated here. Fortunately, in this case, PayPal resolved this for AndyG, but sites like Paypalsucks.com have many, many similar horror stories where the end result wasn't so happy for the customer. At least this way, my liability and potential loss is managed through American Express, which in my experience is much more likely to aggressively protect me than PayPal is.

I recommend that anyone contemplating putting their financial data in the hands of PayPal cruise this website for awhile.

I also refused to become verified for a couple of years for the same reason. I chose to get verified about a yeat ago due to the fact one of the eBay sellers I made a purchase from required you to be verified.

I did hear about the IE problem and I had downloaded Google's Chrome as my fix. It is way better than IE. I don't think I will ever go back to IE now.

vision
12-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Have to second Bigmac on this one. Paypal has a terrible track record on data security. If you list information with them, you will have a theft eventually.

I no longer will purchase anything online from a vendor when the only accepted form of payment is paypal.

flipper
12-19-2008, 11:50 AM

That's exactly what I did. I was afraid of something like this happening to me, and bouncing a check because of somebody getting my info. I don't see the need for paypal to have my bank account info, when I can buy with a credit card (sorry dave ramsey) and if I sell, they can mail me a check. If somebody doesn't want to deal with me because I'm not verified, oh well

Dball
12-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hear this guys. I hate ordering stuff online sometimes. I use my credit card for paypal and when the transaction is complete I go back in and delete my card info.

captain planet
12-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Yea, I received 2 notifications that 356.99 was charged to my Paypal account over the last couple weeks for a cell phone. I was asked to verify my information. I went to my paypal account and there was nothing on my account so I ignored it. I guess I'm unverified as well.

PS.205
12-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Do you use Internet Explorer? There was a big alert earlier this week about hackers coming in through saved passwords using IE. The solution right now is to use Firefox until a patch is created.

Here is the link to the patch. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-078.mspx

Andyg
12-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Things ended up turning out better than I had expected. I was able to call my bank this morning and close my account prior to PayPal deducting the funds from my checking account. The checking account I used only for ebay so it wasn't that big of a deal to close it down. Paypal notified me later in the day that all three claims had been resolved and determined to be fraudulent use of my account so the money would have been refunded anyway. I think they closed them as soon as they realized they couldn't withdraw the funds from my checking account since it was closed.