PDA

View Full Version : Engine Box Shocks

gene dobies
05-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I have a 2005 PS190 and am having trouble figuring out how these disconnect to facilitate opening the engine compartment all the way. Can anyone shed some light on this?

bcampbe7
05-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Probably not the same but on my 96 PS190 there is a plastic clip/cover that has to come off first. Then the shock just pops off using a straight screw driver for leverage.

Crash
05-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Mine are exactly the same as discribed by bcampbe7 and I just recieved replacement ones yesterday and they are also the same. Just be careful after removing the gas shocks that you don't over-extend the clam shell open and pull the screws out of the floorboard.

6ballsisall
05-11-2005, 12:42 PM
I as actually thinking about putting shocks on my 86' anyone have ideas on how and where to mount them?

east tx skier
05-11-2005, 06:43 PM
They have a bracket that mounts to the shock and bolts onto the bottom of the engine box (3 bolts per side with nylon lock nuts).

sfitzgerald351
05-11-2005, 11:00 PM
I as actually thinking about putting shocks on my 86' anyone have ideas on how and where to mount them?

I did this on my 84. Used 30lb shocks I think. Can't remember the length though... Basically I mounted them from the floor using the l-brackets with the little ball on them and the other end went to a flush piece with the ball on it mounted to the side of the motor box. The only issue is that when the box is closed the shocks basically push the motor box rearward towards the stern. If you're hinges are attached to the removable floor panel in the center rear like mine was you run into two problems. The whole panel moves rearward and the rear bottom portion of the motor box starts to deform from the pressure. I bolted on a piece of aluminum angle across the whole bottom length of the motor box and relocated the hinges to the outside corners so they mount in the floor and not the panel. Works pretty well. I'd post pictures but the boat is still wrapped up. The biggest pain is figuring out how where to mount the brackets so it closes and opens properly. Take your time to make sure the shock will do what you need it to.

MarkP
06-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Alright,

What are these things called if I wanted to Google them? Iím thinking about replacing mine but cant find them online..

MarkP
06-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Never mind.

A Google of "hatch strut" produces numerous results..

east tx skier
06-03-2005, 10:02 AM
I'd call them gas shocks. I got a replacement for my observer seat pretty cheap from MC. But if that isn't convenient, take yours off and try Pep Boys or the like.

MarkP
06-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I'd call them gas shocks. I got a replacement for my observer seat pretty cheap from MC. But if that isn't convenient, take yours off and try Pep Boys or the like.
Thanks,

I did a search on TT but didnít come up with much. When I googled ďhatch strutĒ I came up with a lot, including all of the TT threads that would help. Iím going to call my dealer but I donít think that will help. Iím going to give him one last chance though.

G-man
06-03-2005, 10:14 AM
in some parts of the world they call them Gas Assist Shocks or doohickeys

east tx skier
06-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks,

I did a search on TT but didnít come up with much. When I googled ďhatch strutĒ I came up with a lot, including all of the TT threads that would help. Iím going to call my dealer but I donít think that will help. Iím going to give him one last chance though.

Give Lex at Rambo Marine a call. The one for the o-seat cost me about $11. Couldn't get an exact match at any auto parts store for that one. Tell him you need a pair of doo-hickies. :D

AirJunky
06-03-2005, 11:16 AM
I picked up the 2 for the engine cover & the 1 for the o-seat at Napa for about $50.
The brackets & gas shocks are listed in Overton's catalog (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=33612) too.

Tom023
06-05-2005, 02:55 PM
It took me a while to find this link or I would have replied sooner. I had to replace one that was a strange size, and what was convenient about this site is that there is a link that cross references the NAPA part number. So you just find the size you need, get the NAPA number and go pick it up at the store!

http://www.spdhardware.com/gs1.htm

rasmithaz
06-08-2005, 07:29 PM
So you just find the size you need, get the NAPA number and go pick it up at the store!

http://www.spdhardware.com/gs1.htm[/QUOTE]

I read the tag on the doohickey matched it up with napa number and picked it up and installed it about 45 minutes. thanks for the info