PDA

View Full Version : I need lots of ideas, please!!!

airdrew99
12-16-2008, 07:02 PM
My wife and I are needing ideas on how to make some money here in the near future. I'm going to be quitting my job so I can go to school full time. My wife doesn't work because we have a 5 month old son that she takes care of. We are wanting to do something from home that will bring in some extra money (even if it's just a few extra dollars a week). I thought about ebaying stuff, but what? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (legal ideas). Oh, I do plan on working a side job but I want to focus most of my attention on my schooling.

Drew

coz
12-16-2008, 07:14 PM
My wife and I are needing ideas on how to make some money here in the near future. I'm going to be quitting my job so I can go to school full time. My wife doesn't work because we have a 5 month old son that she takes care of. We are wanting to do something from home that will bring in some extra money (even if it's just a few extra dollars a week). I thought about ebaying stuff, but what? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (legal ideas). Oh, I do plan on working a side job but I want to focus most of my attention on my schooling.

Drew

If you want to sell on ebay you have to find something unique or a big demand for. Thousands of people are trying to dropship and that's a scam so if you're going ebay buy wholesale in bulk from liquidators.

flipper
12-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Get the free stuff of craigslist, and sell it on ebay

coz
12-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Get the free stuff of craigslist, and sell it on ebay

That works I've done it :D

Ubugme2
12-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Give plazma, or visit a sperm bank lol.

TX.X-30 fan
12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Why I don't come here often

Good luck airdrew99

Ubugme2
12-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Why I don't come here often

Good luck airdrew99

Ignore the negative Nancy, no matter what anyone says everyone has needed money at some point in there life. If you know how to do simple mechanical tasks or repair stuff around the house you could solicit your services to family or friends that need brakes changed on there car or even oil changes. There are many things that require patience that someone would rather pay to have it done instead of doing it themselves.

Monte
12-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Just go sell some AMWAY! Seriously... There is no such thing as (legal) easy money from home. My suggestion is keep the job you have until your wife can go back to work or you simply take night classes. What do you plan to go to school for? With a child at home quitting a job is the last thing I would do unless there was a better option. Just because you have a piece of paper to hang on the wall it doesn't automatically mean you will make more money with it in the future. Yes it will help, but no current source of reliable income is insane. What do you plan to do for health insurance, rent or house payment, Transportation expenses, food, lights etc. If you quit now you might as well sell the boat. That will equal about half a years diaper money. I hate to rant, but unless I have missed something, quitting work to go to school with a five month old at home is NOT a good idea.

pq2
12-16-2008, 09:57 PM
airdrew99, sent you a pm.

Slinkyredfoot
12-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Since you are not my son and your wife is not my daughter, and I guess this means I have no relation to your offspring...well I guess I will withhold any advise and just keep my mouth shut for a change....:D

Skipper
12-17-2008, 10:05 AM
It's a hard way to go, my friend. An army buddy of mine got out and went to college full time. He had a wife with a baby and a toddler. He worked two part time jobs and went to school. It was rough.

Yeah, long term having the education will be of great benefit...but, life goes by quick, your son will value the time you spend with him during those crucial developmental years of his life...

Good luck,

JohnE
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
What do you do for work now, Drew?

flipper
12-17-2008, 11:12 AM
airdrew99, sent you a pm.

Send me one too if you have a good money making scheme!!!:D

TX.X-30 fan
12-17-2008, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Ubugme2;563812]Ignore the negative Nancy,

I meant you.

Hollywood
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
This can't be real.

Make money -> quit job ?

russlars
12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I was in your exact same position 20 years ago. What we opted to do was to have me go to school full time during the daytime and she got a pretty good job working a swing shift. This allowed us to avoid paying for child care and gave us both quality time with our daughter. I would put her to bed at 7:00 pm and then I would have peace and quiet to study until 12:00 pm. My wife and I didn't see each other much during those 4 years, but my education allowed me to get a good career and my wife has not had to work since.:twocents:

jbfootin
12-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Good friend of mine did the same thing. Had a great job as head of finance at a $80M fab shop, making very good money. Had a kid and decided it was now or never to go back and get his doctrate and become a professor. 1-because it is what he wanted to do and 2- Profs make great money. Sold everything. New child or not, wife went back to work. Lined up a job as prof assistant to get break on tuition. Down graded to very small house with interest only loan on 3 yr arm (figured he would be out making big $ in 3). He is now a prof in Georgia, but it was 3 yrs of living very lean, but it worked for him.

Good luck

uncleboo
12-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Do not quit your job! You can work and go to school at the same time--thousands of people have done it(including myself). It's no picnic, but self sacrifice will make the rewards that much better. The quickest way to financial ruin is to stop the steady income. I just finished up a masters in finance while working 50+ hours a week. Sleep when you are dead!

Ubugme2
12-17-2008, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=Ubugme2;563812]Ignore the negative Nancy,

I meant you.

O you must have a problem with people donating plasma? I donít care. You must have a problem with making money at a sperm bank? I donít care. Your opinion about ether one will hold no weight with people that utilize these services and how they can affect someoneís life in a positive way. Go be negative some where else please.

airdrew99
12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
To answer some of the questions: I'm currently employed as an aircraft mechanic. I will be getting school paid for by my vocational rehab program (through the military) and the GI bill after that. Also, I receive a disability check each month from the military for injuries I sustained while on active duty. My sister and her husband both went through the six year program to become pharmacists (which is what I'm doing). They were able to do it with neither one of them working (not a single day of work in the entire 6 years) while raising a child. Yeah, they did live on student loans at the time, but now they have paid off more than half of their $200,000 debt in the first year of working as pharmacists. I wouldn't even consider doing this if my sister had not just finished doing it. (My sister, her husband, her brother-in-law and her father-in-law are all pharmacists). I do plan on working a part-time job. I can always reduce my school load and work full-time if it came down to it.

Drew

airdrew99
12-17-2008, 08:40 PM
I really don't want to work full time and go to school full time because I know I will miss so much time with my son.

russlars
12-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I really don't want to work full time and go to school full time because I know I will miss so much time with my son.
I don't know of anyone who really wants to, but some times you have to!:)
With all of the other stuff you have going for you, you could probably both get by with some kind of part time work. Anything you can do to reduce your debt load will be appreciated later on.

6ballsisall
12-17-2008, 11:30 PM
To answer some of the questions: I'm currently employed as an aircraft mechanic. I will be getting school paid for by my vocational rehab program (through the military) and the GI bill after that. Also, I receive a disability check each month from the military for injuries I sustained while on active duty. My sister and her husband both went through the six year program to become pharmacists (which is what I'm doing). They were able to do it with neither one of them working (not a single day of work in the entire 6 years) while raising a child. Yeah, they did live on student loans at the time, but now they have paid off more than half of their $200,000 debt in the first year of working as pharmacists. I wouldn't even consider doing this if my sister had not just finished doing it. (My sister, her husband, her brother-in-law and her father-in-law are all pharmacists). I do plan on working a part-time job. I can always reduce my school load and work full-time if it came down to it.

Drew

Dang! Thats what my first house cost!!
In business they say Revenue fixes all things. For a family it's close, money coming in won't fix all things, but it sure makes a lot of things much less stressful.

Food for thought

88 PS190
12-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Depending you might have trouble getting a loan to live off in the current climate.

Particularly if you quit your job and your wife isn't working. NINJA style.

coz
12-18-2008, 08:03 AM

I just have to say a 6 year void on your resume wont look good even if you were in school.

I'd atleast have a part time job, what if something happens to one of you? then what?

I don't wanna work either but until they say I have the winning #'s in the powerball I have to work to provide for my family.

Thrall
12-19-2008, 02:18 PM
If you're an aircraft mechanic, surely you are mechanically inclined. Do you have a garage? There's good $ in auto repair (basic stuff, maint, brakes, shocks, drivelines, etc) even undercutting what the shops charge. You'd be at home and able to do it on odd hours, evenings, etc. I made a fair amt of $ in college just fixing cars for the kids I knew.

airdrew99
12-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Thrall,
I think that is excellent advice. I was just talking to my dad earlier today and he was suggesting the same thing. I may try to buy "old beaters" and fix them up and sell them in running condition. We have restored quite a few mustangs growing up. Thank you for the advice.

Drew

canadianskier
12-19-2008, 11:17 PM
I made just under $100,000 in nine months selling plants a few years ago, but selling plants isn`t for everybody.

Willski
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Do you have health benefits? Just asking. Could be important if you quit working. Good luck to you.

justinglow
12-20-2008, 09:43 AM
What kind of plants did you sell???;)

I made just under $100,000 in nine months selling plants a few years ago, but selling plants isn`t for everybody.

Farmer Ted
12-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Drew

what kind of aircraft mechanic are you? Do you have your A&P? Do you not like working on planes? Do you do line maintenance or mods?

L-3 is always hiring people, especially qualified people. If you need qualifications L-3 is also a good place to build a resume. I don't work for L-3 but I do work at one of their facilities and see a ton of folks fresh out of A&P school come there and typically spend 2-3 years building their resume and then punch out and go work for other aviation companies. The work you do at L-3 will be like no other......

here's a picture of a project I have going on right now.....

TMCNo1
12-20-2008, 11:24 AM

I'd be afraid to ask!

airdrew99
12-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Farmer Ted,
I have my A&P license. I currently work 757 Passenger-to-Freighter mods. I worked F-117a in the air force, CRJ-200 and CRJ-700 c-checks in Hot Springs, AR, A319, A320, and A321 in Mobile, Al and now the 757 PTF (FedEx). I have about 8 1/2 years total aircraft experience.

Drew

justinglow
12-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Nice hangers at L-3 Tim. I wonder who painted those??:rolleyes:

Farmer Ted
12-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Nice hangers at L-3 Tim. I wonder who painted those??:rolleyes:

Drew, are you not happy with aviation?

Justin, that's bay 4 the only bay you guys haven't done..........don't expect to get it anytime soon......

TX.X-30 fan
12-21-2008, 03:32 AM

No sh!t.................................... Duh!! :D:D

airdrew99
12-21-2008, 06:59 AM
I enjoy working aviation, but it has really been hard on me (physically). I have a shoulder problem and a lower back problem that affect my ability on the job. Plus, I have always been interested in the medical field. If this pharmacy thing doesn't work out, I really wouldn't mind working aviation as a career. I just want to work for FedEx and not a "third world carrier".

coz
12-21-2008, 07:34 AM
I'd be afraid to ask!

For a 100K in 9 months? I'm not afraid to ask ;) you would have to be moving it in truck loads for that kind of return.

http://media.independent.com/img/photos/2007/09/25/Pot_Bust_Truck_Load_web.jpg