PDA

View Full Version : Do you pull the saftey button and lock out for neutral?

scott88prostar
05-11-2005, 11:00 AM
I never used to do this....started skiing with a bud a few years ago and hes over the top concerning saftey ( or so I thought...he s mountain climber!)....well a few days ago while putting on his dry suit he stumbled and landed on throttle...motor howled.....we were all standing...later I thought how terrible it could have been....so my fellow mastercrafters please either turn off your boat or at least pull the neutral pin out and bring pull the throtle back so you dont go flying out and have to duck under the water as your pride and joy runs a ground or comes back to kill you! :eek: ..be safe!

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 11:04 AM
You are lucky my friend.

bcampbe7
05-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Good advice...

I always turn the boat off when getting ready to ski, letting someone in the water or picking someone up.

tex
05-11-2005, 12:25 PM
I almost always pull the pin.

k2mc
05-11-2005, 12:35 PM
My 3 year old and 2 year old have taught me the same lesson. The just love to put the hammer down.

Tom023
05-11-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't have a pin, mine locks in neutral. I also turn the engine off when getting ready to ski and picking up a skier. You cannot be too safety conscious in my mind.

AirJunky
05-11-2005, 12:49 PM
I don't have a pin, mine locks in neutral. I also turn the engine off when getting ready to ski and picking up a skier. You cannot be too safety conscious in my mind.
Are you sure about this, Tom? So how do you put the trans in nuetral to rev the motor? I thought all Morse controls had the nuetral switch. I guess it could be like most I/Os & have a throttle lever you pull out to allow you to rev the motor while in nuetral.

Tom023
05-11-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm quite sure. I have a ring that I have to lift to switch from neutral to forward or reverse. When I put the throttle back in neutral it locks back in place. To run the engine at fast RPM in neutral, I have to push in on a button, lift the locking ring and move the trottle forward. Here is shot of what I have...

AirJunky
05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm quite sure. I have a ring that I have to lift to switch from neutral to forward or reverse. When I put the throttle back in neutral it locks back in place. To run the engine at fast RPM in neutral, I have to push in on a button, lift the locking ring and move the trottle forward. Here is shot of what I have...
OK, the confusing part is that when you say your in nuetral, your actually not in gear at all, more like Park. When you push the button down, that is your nuetral safety switch, like being in nuetral in your car.

Tom023
05-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Right. When the lever is straight up it's like Park. I really never even use neutral with the EFI, it just doesn't need it. I actually had the boat 2 years before I discovered the button to move it into "neutral."

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
my '95 is slightly different, in that I need to pull a button out to be in neutral. Not only do I ALWAYS pull the button out, but I also move the trottle to the "in gear" position, in neutral. This locks the button in the neutral position, so that if someone falls and pushes the button in and moves the throttle, the boat will still be in neutral.

Not to mention that my button has an attendancy to get sucked back in on it's own anyway unless I stay on top of keeping it cleaned.

phecksel
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I never used to do this....started skiing with a bud a few years ago and hes over the top concerning saftey ( or so I thought...he s mountain climber!)....well a few days ago while putting on his dry suit he stumbled and landed on throttle...motor howled.....we were all standing...later I thought how terrible it could have been....so my fellow mastercrafters please either turn off your boat or at least pull the neutral pin out and bring pull the throtle back so you dont go flying out and have to duck under the water as your pride and joy runs a ground or comes back to kill you! :eek: ..be safe!

Even with a locking throttle, it can nver hurt to also pull the pin

Crash
05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
We always turn her off when not pulling. One of the things we enjoy about being out on the boat is talking and hearing the waves, which ususally get drowned out by the motor running.

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Plus, with gas prices so high, turn it off and save as much as possible! I have one buddy that takes FOREVER to get off the platform. There is always something, sunglasses, watch, wallet, cell phone, oh my gloves, etc!

tex
05-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Plus, with gas prices so high, turn it off and save as much as possible! I have one buddy that takes FOREVER to get off the platform. There is always something, sunglasses, watch, wallet, cell phone, oh my gloves, etc!

I hate that. Put him in the drink when he is standing on the platform!

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 01:13 PM
I hate that. Put him in the drink when he is standing on the platform!

Oh, we have left him floating in the water for some long stints. He is just another buoy sometimes!