PDA

View Full Version : winterizing 2000 Mari Star

RTURRINI
12-16-2008, 11:12 AM
I brought a 2000 Mari Star at the end of the summer and was told that there is no separate cooling system and so no water is retained in the block that needs to be drained in the winter. The engine is a Northstar 5.7. I am beginning to think that isn't correct.Can anyone either confirm this or help me how to drain any water in the block for the winter. Thanks

JimN
12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
It's not an outboard, it does need to be drained. Look in the FAQ section.

Skipper
12-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I brought a 2000 Mari Star at the end of the summer and was told that there is no separate cooling system and so no water is retained in the block that needs to be drained in the winter. The engine is a Northstar 5.7. I am beginning to think that isn't correct.Can anyone either confirm this or help me how to drain any water in the block for the winter. Thanks

Here is a link to the FAQ section that discusses winterization. Within this thread is another link to Aquaskier.com that contains an article, with photographs, of winterization by the Mastercraft manual.

Eastie's Winterization Checklist (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=6)

I don't know if there is something special about the way the Northstar is cooled. But, most EFI engines have a knock sensor (screwed into the drain) on the driver side and a drain valve on the passenger side of the engine. These allow you to drain water out of the block. You might just take a look?

Here are some pics from the Aquaskier.com article:

dummy
12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Just to bump in - the 5.7L LTR says "Northstar Ignition" on the plenum, so maybe he's mistaking the distributorless LTR for the Northstar? LRT is more common than a DOHC Northstar in the MariStars from my limited experience.

TMCNo1
12-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Knowledge Center, top of each page, Owners Manuals, 2000 is not listed, but a 1999 will do, http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/1999_OwnersManual-MariStar.pdf. Page 70, 2 Northstar LSI Multi-Coil 5.7 engines are listed for this year model too and starting page 62, "Storage and Winterization", says otherwise.
Someone apparently has blown smoke up your exhaust pipes by telling you that, cause these engines are not self draining! With either the raw water cooling or the closed cooling system (Heat Exchanger), water has to be drained from portions or all of the cooling system depending on the system.

Skipper
12-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Knowledge Center, top of each page, Owners Manuals, 2000 is not listed, but a 1999 will do, http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/1999_OwnersManual-MariStar.pdf. Page 70, 2 Northstar LSI Multi-Coil 5.7 engines are listed for this year model too and starting page 62, "Storage and Winterization", says otherwise.
Someone apparently has blown smoke up your exhaust pipes by telling you that, cause these engines are not self draining!

I thought you just had to hold the boat upside down and shake the water out?

TMCNo1
12-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I thought you just had to hold the boat upside down and shake the water out?

Only in the South! Gotta get the condensation out of the drink holders!:rolleyes::D

JimN
12-16-2008, 12:35 PM
TTIUWP. If it's actually the Cadillac engine, it's closed cooling. If it's one of the others, it could be closed cooling. Either way, at least the oil cooler needs to be drained.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade but....

If I had bought a boat from someone who said that nothing needs to be drained, I would get a bright light and go in to look for any signs of cracks on the block and exhaust manifolds. If the block has a crack, it'll be about 3" above the drain holes, usually between the front and back cylinders on that side. Any horizontal line, straight or jagged, in the middle of a semi-rough casting should be inspected. While I have seen engines crack and live for a long time, it's not a good sign if one exists.

The fact that the motor is positioned with the rear higher than the front should make it clear that water does remain in the water jacket. I suspect that the previous owner didn't want to pay someone to winterize the boat and after trying to get in there to do it the first time, he decided not to, in the future. I admit that it's not a particularly easy job on a V Drive, especially if the deck is left attached to the lift, but there are easy ways to keep the deck from flopping back and damaging the hinges and fiberglass.

I used a rope with a snap hook on one end that attaches to the bracket for the lift and either a slip knot or Trucker's Hitch at the ball on the pylon. The Trucker's hitch allows for adjustment but once the rope is set up, it doesn't need to change if it's only used for this boat. I would let the deck swing open past vertical by about 30 degrees, so the wind can't easily blow it over.

Trucker's Hitch:
http://www.netknots.com/html/truckers_hitch.html

Once that's open, the lift cylinder and side panels can be removed and it's much easier to work on this model. Removing the center rear seat cushion makes some things easier to get to.

etakk7
12-16-2008, 01:20 PM
You probably have the LTR engine like I do in my 2000 with the "Northstar Ignition." It probably is water cooled like mine in which case you need to drain both the engine block, manifold, and some of the related tubing.