PDA

View Full Version : sound system question

pjwalnuts
12-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I have a 2002 X7. It has the clarion stereo with an amp under the port side console. This past season it just stopped working. It seems as though the stereo still has power and all the usual lights are lit on the face. I don't know anything about stereos and especially amps. does anyone have an ideas as to what the problem may be? Any help is greatly appreciated.

JimN
12-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Go to the battery and look for a fuse holder or circuit breaker. Turn the volume down and reset the breaker if it's open, or replace the fuse with one that will handle the full draw of the amp + 25%. The fuse or breaker at the battery isn't for protecting the amp(s), it's to protect you and the boat in case the wires short together or the positive shorts to ground. It could be that a ring terminal failed or wasn't installed properly, the ring wasn't placed over the battery stud or the amp may have gotten wet/blew the fuse/speaker failed, etc. If the power cable terminals are green at the shortingbattery or amp, remove the battery - before doing anything, to keep the chance of problems at a minimum.

Gamble
12-15-2008, 11:29 PM
I'd also check the remote wire from the stereo. That gives the amp signal to turn on. If memory serves me it is a blue wire..........unless someone used another color of course. Check that wire for power. It will only have power when the radio is turned on. If the remote wire has power to the amp, it's either not getting 12V from the positive cable, the ground is not good, or the amp is bad. Hope this helps you.

pjwalnuts
12-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll check those out.

TX.X-30 fan
12-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Clarion Sucks, Replace as soon as possible!!

JimN
12-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Exactly why does Clarion suck? The one in my truck is over ten years old and has never needed any kind of service. It's the second vehicle and I have installed hundreds of them with very few problems. Far less than many of the "best" brands. Most problems with the sound are from improper installation and setup, or speakers that are being over-driven.