PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing '95 Maristar

turkvu
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Trying to get my '95 Maristar ready for Winter (I'm in Texas) and have a couple quick questions.

I already added gas stabilizer. Now I want to drain the water from the cooling system, add winterizing anti-freeze and fog the engine. I tried downloading the owners manual from the mastercraft site, but it is conveniently missing the 2 pages that deal with how to winterize.

My questions are:

1) How do I drain the water from the cooling system? Where's the drain plug?
2) Where do I pour the anti-freeze?
3) To fog the engine, I'm guessing I just take the covers off the 2 sides and spray everything down w/ Wd-40. What sort of tool is necessary to take those covers off...looks like some weird sort of Torx screw. How necessary is fogging the engine?

Thanks for any help.

Skipper
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
First, I will give you the standard answer, go to this link from the FAQ section:

Eastie's Winterization Checklist (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=6)

You can buy a fogging spray at most boating supply stores and auto parts stores. One method is to spray it directly into the carb or throttle body while the engine is running. Keep spraying until the engine cuts out or starts to smoke. This protects the intake manifold.

Then, remove the spark plugs and spray fogging oil into each of the cylinders.

To drain the water from the block, you may have either a drain plug or valve on each side of the block. If your engine is EFI then there will be a knock sensor. Remove the plug or knock sensor and/or open the drain valve. Watch out for clogging from rust deposits. They can be cleared with a screwdriver. Also, at the end of each exhaust riser is a plug. Use a 1/2" drive ratchet to remove these plugs and drain the manifolds. Clear the rust deposits with a screwdriver.

These pictures are from Aquaskier.com (linked on Eastie's post). The one on the left is the drain valve, located on the passenger side of the boat. The next picture is of the knock sensor.

42939 42940

After you drain the block and replace the plug, close the valve and/or replace the knock sensor, I recommend that you pour the antifreeze directly into the block through the top of the water pump. There is a large plug that you can remove, then use a funnel to get up to three gallons of antifreeze into the block.

Muttley
12-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Do NOT take the valve covers off! Fog the motor the way Skipper said.

I just wanted to make sure...

turkvu
12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Found the draincock on one side and knock sensor on the other. The knock sensor came out and drained without any problems, the draincock on the other hand won't budge. I've never tried to undo a plug like this one before, is there anything special that needs to be done or do I just need to get a better grip and put some back into it? (The draincock looks to be the same as in the picture above.

One other question: Where are the exhaust risers?

Skipper
12-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Found the draincock on one side and knock sensor on the other. The knock sensor came out and drained without any problems, the draincock on the other hand won't budge. I've never tried to undo a plug like this one before, is there anything special that needs to be done or do I just need to get a better grip and put some back into it? (The draincock looks to be the same as in the picture above.

One other question: Where are the exhaust risers?

If the handle on the drain will not turn to open the valve, then you can just remove the entire drain valve with a large wrench. The larger the wrench, the easier it will be to turn.

In the above picture, the exhaust riser has "mastercraft" in raised silver letters. On the end of the riser nearest the back of the boat is the plug.

Muttley
12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
In the above picture, the exhaust riser has "mastercraft" in raised silver letters. On the end of the riser nearest the back of the boat is the plug.

A 1/2" socket wrench without the socket works excellent for getting the plug out.