PDA

View Full Version : True Hero

bbymgr
12-14-2008, 10:59 PM
An old LRS buddy sent this to me and I thought I would share.

I'd bet none of us knew Ed Freeman and it is little for us to do now, but give a little tribute for his life and those like him today are serving for our country.

'Ed Freeman... A True Hero'

You're an 18 or 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded, and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley, 11-14-1965. LZ Xray , Vietnam . Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses.

And, he kept coming back...... 13 more times..... and took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise, ID ......May God rest his soul.....

(Oh yeah, Paul Newman died that day too. I guess you knew that --
Newman got a lot more press than Ed Freeman.)

shepherd
12-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Yes. It's a shame that "American Idols" get more attention than American heroes. RIP Mr. Freeman.

JimN
12-14-2008, 11:28 PM
And if anyone asked why he kept going in, he'd probably just say, "Well, someone had to".

-1 for the rest of the world.

jaysus
12-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Yes. It's a shame that "American Idols" get more attention than American heroes. RIP Mr. Freeman.

I understand your feeling Shep, many of our countries heroes are not given the honor they earned in their time.

However, in regards to Paul Newman, some may find the death of a philanthropist that donated $250 million to charity over the past 20 years along with giving 13,000 sick kids (every year) the opportunity to attend summer camp free of charge, newsworthy.

mlay
12-15-2008, 11:59 AM
RIP Mr. Freeman, true American hero. Prayers for our servicemen and women everywhere.

bbymgr
12-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I understand your feeling Shep, many of our countries heroes are not given the honor they earned in their time.

However, in regards to Paul Newman, some may find the death of a philanthropist that donated $250 million to charity over the past 20 years along with giving 13,000 sick kids (every year) the opportunity to attend summer camp free of charge, newsworthy.

Just wanted to let you know that I had no intention to slight Paul Newman. I agree he has given a lot back society through the Newman's Own Line. I would like to say that I have even more respect for the man for serving in WWII as a tail gunner in an Avenger. My viewpoint is a little one sided as I have never had his $, but to me it seems easier to give $250 million when you have that much for yourself, than offering up your life when you only have 1 to give. Either way both men should be honored.

shepherd
12-15-2008, 01:02 PM

True, but did the news reports of Newman's death focus on his charitable work and military service, or did they mostly show pics and clips of his films? Also, "hero" is a word that is overused these days, IMO. Mr. Freeman was a hero. Paul Newman? It seems he did a lot of great stuff, but I'm not sure I'd call him a "hero."

TMCNo1
12-15-2008, 01:31 PM

I couldn't agree more.

Mr. freeman, you did your country proud, may God be with you.

jbfootin
12-15-2008, 03:18 PM
This country was and still is great because true heros such as this! In a society that lacks many of the values of past generations, such as Mr Freeman's, it is good...no...Great to remember, admire, and strive to live up to those standards!!!

mlay
12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
If you have never read it ( I did in 1985 or 86 ) I recommend the book "Chicken Hawk" by Robert Mason.

If anyone knows of one that is comparable for todays conflicts please let me know. But this book by far is the best I have read on actual helicopter pilots accounts of the Vietnam war.

Read this and the true appreciation of pilots such as Ed Freeman is extrodinary. Soldiers thinking of other soldiers well being and safety above their own.

mlay
12-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Although I do have to say it recounts more of the day to day lives, and tours (good and bad) of the soldiers/pilots and not the "all heroic" actions.

Skipper
12-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Mr. Freeman was a great man.

I submit that in almost every battle, there is always that guy who does something extraordinary, usually incredibly dangerous, and always selfless. His actions either directly save the lives of his comrades, or inspire them to fight even harder themselves.

Heros are not a thing of the past. They are among us even today.