PDA

View Full Version : Telluride, CO - Any tips

Willski
12-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I am booked to go to Telluride. Any TTers been there? My wife is in Beaver Creek right now. They just got a boatload of snow. Shep are you still in Breck?

shepherd
12-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Just got back today. It was snowing while we were driving to Denver airport this morning. Our takeoff was delayed for 1.5 hours for de-icing. I haven't been in the mountains since Friday, but I'm sure they got a ton of snow! We drove up to Fort Collins (and visited the New Belgium brewery) yesterday and I saw the huge cloudbank up in the mountains to the west during our drive up I25.

Let us know how it goes in Telluride. I'd like to check it out some day.

wakeX2wake
12-15-2008, 10:58 AM
so isn't this one of the lowest snow levels summit county has seen in a while?... from looking at the resorts' snow reports they've got a lot closed and pretty low bases

chudson
12-15-2008, 12:24 PM
They just got 14" last weekend on a 42" base with a total of 82" for the year, looks like they're off to a good start!!!

http://tellurideskiresort.com/TellSki/snow-report.aspx

Jorski
12-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Ooooooh, Telluride (To Hell You Ride)!

It is my favourite place to ski on the planet!

Fantastic Colorado snow, tons of steep and a unique aversion to (over) grooming.:D

Best advice is to hook up with a local...there is an incredible amount of unmarked stuff that is (for lack of a more descriptive word) GNARLY!

Some names of hills that stood out were Mine Shaft, North chute, Spiral Stairs and the Gold Hill Chutes. If you like moguls, then get onto Kant-Mak-M!

Like I said, there are a number of unmarked chutes and glades that take your breath away, chat up a local and they will take you to them !

Have agreat trip!!!

corey
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Telluride is awesome, bring a camera cause its gorgeous. We rode about three days there and it was great everyday. I went with one other snowboarder and a couple of skiers, we ended up ditching the skiers and rode the stuff we liked and they did the same.

If you plan on making your own meals I'd buy some groceries before you get into town, I seem to remember the market was a little on the expenzive side, though I was dirt poor when I went in so it was a budget trip for me.

Ski-me
12-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Supose to get another 12" tomorrow in the mountains and then another storm moving in on Saturday. Perfect timing on your trip!:D

8 degrees in Colo Springs right now.....at 4:07pm. It was -5 this morning driving in.

The good thing about the cold.....great, light, fluffy powder!

Just got this email today....

http://www.powpowplatter.com/?crmcontact=$contact_id$&crmpas=CRM_SB_PAS_04_E1_081215

SPLIFF
12-16-2008, 02:01 PM
eat at the jack danniel's bar and grill it is a good place to check out.telluride is by far my favorite ski resort so far you should have a great time.

MriDude
12-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Outstanding. Great Chinese food downtown across from hotel made famous in Chevy Avalanche commercial. Skiing is awesome with some great bowls to get lost in. Have a great trip!

wakeX2wake
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
keep 'em pointed downhill... either way you'll see more of the mountain that way

h2oskifreak
12-16-2008, 08:52 PM
I love Telluride. I live about 110 Mi. from it and go several times a year. Bar scene is a good one if you like that sort of thing. Not a big pick up type scene, just people having fun and the season is just getting going so they will be rowdy. Fly me to the moon saloon is fun. Loads of new snow and still snowing. Have fun.

Willski
12-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks everybody for the tips. Wife just got back from Beaver Creek last on Tues. Snow was a little lacking until the weekend when they got dumped on. Should be good for us at the end of Jan.

sand2snow22
12-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Late start to the season, but our local mountain got 43" snow in the last 48 hours!

Willski
01-30-2009, 02:56 PM
I posted back in Dec. but I leave tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I get back.

flipper
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Have fun!!!!!!!!

Sodar
01-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I posted back in Dec. but I leave tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Enjoy! Be sure to report back on everything. I would love to go sometime!

D3skier
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
the best tip you could get would be don't eat the yellow snow and don't hit a tree.