PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Fat Sacks or similar.......

rabooze
05-11-2005, 07:44 AM
things? I got an '02 ProStar 209 and I was thinking about getting a fat sack to boost the wake. Was curious what others experiences were with them? Where did you put them in the boat? DId it make a noticeable difference? I was thinking I would put in in the very back. possibly in the stroage area that open up by the platform. Any help you can give would be great. Thanks!

peason
05-11-2005, 07:45 AM
If anyone has them in a 209 it's Dan C. He should have an answer.

H2OGirl
05-11-2005, 08:44 AM
We use them in an '87 190 PS. We put an 800 lb sack in the rear (where the seat is supposed to be) and we put 2 275 lb sacks on either side of the engine box. It makes a huge difference in the wake size and shape. The key is make sure you don't over weight one area of the boat. You can't just weight down the rear. You really should weight it down 40% in the bow area and 60% in the rear. You might want to check out the thread about the 1500 lbs in 197 (I think). They had some issues with the swim platform being underwater with the added weight. I do think using fat sacks is a PITS thought, that is why we purchased an X-10 with ballast.

peason
05-11-2005, 11:10 AM
The X-9 which of course is the same hull as the 209, has the sacks under the rear seat and one in the bow storage locker - where the walk through is. It must help the wake since they make the x-9 for this purpose. For a beginner I really like the clean wake the 209 throws with out any weight and we have had some riders that have more experience and they really like the wake the way it is.
Dan C. - Where are you? I am sure Dan has weighed in on this subject previously, you may want to look through some prior posts.

u29460
05-11-2005, 11:10 AM
We got a 1500lb fat seat out of Overton’s.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=18259

It was under 100$ and tosses a huge wake.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=3191&stc=1

Like H2OG says we did have some problems with the platform shearing off the boat. It would seem the platform is not really intended to be underwater for long periods of time. And to be fair to MC once you are on the step the platform come up out of the water it’s just when you are tooling at really low speeds or making a u-turn to pickup the rider.

However, I am still using the sack. Just being more careful about u-turns and how much time I tool around at low speeds.

As far at functionality, the kids don’t seem to mind sitting on it cuz it’s like a big couch. There are some notable handling quirks. The backend is very heavy and wants to push around when turning around, kind of like having an elephant on your back. Also at higher speeds the front end wants to rock up and down as wind tries to make its way under the hull.

I guess the real thing deal is it makes my ski boat a good average wakeboard boat with out having to pay more than 100$. Oh yes, plus the 80$ to re-weld the platform….and the 3000$ tower…well I am sure I saved money some how. :rolleyes:

Ryno
05-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Fat sacs will also decrease your gas mileage considerably if you add a ton of weight.
But the bigger wake is definitely worth it.
If you do go for the fat sacs, I'd recommend not filling them up till you've reached your riding spot and emptying them before you head back toward the dock.
And the more sacs you have, the more pumps you'll want to have to save time. I've used a 500# sac and (2) 250# sacs in my old boat and it's a 20-30 process sometimes to get everything situated once you get out on the lake.

DanC
05-12-2005, 11:37 AM
In response to your question about the 209 specifically.

The 209 needs a full tank of gas and a hand full of people to make just a decent beginner wakeboard wake. Adding the Mastercraft X-9 fat sack under the back seat will add only about 375 lbs, just enough to compensate for having skinny people (You can put a standard 600 lb fat sack under the back seat but when you completely fill it, you will have to turn the back seat into a sun deck and lose the seating)

To move up from a beginner wake, add a standard 600 lb or custom fat sack in the rear ski locker. That will get you up to a medium intermediate level wakeboard wake. HOWEVER, you will need to balance that weight with some weight up front. Either you will need to put people in the bow or you will need to add a sack in the front ski locker or in the front walkway. The generic recommendation is a 60%/40% weight distribution back to front.

A sofa sack will not fit in a 209. The sofa sack will be too small for the 209 and problematic.

A front locker sack and a rear locker sack will add about 1,000 lbs, will not get in your way walking around in the boat, and will get you a good intermediate level wake.

For advanced intermediate wakes, add Side Sacs, Fat Buddies……..

For advanced wakes, drink more beer and every wake jump will feel like a double up.