PDA

View Full Version : Bildge pump plug

TOO-TALL
12-13-2008, 08:47 PM
My auto bildge pump quit working the pump works but, the float won't work to turn the pump on.Took the pump out no debris in it.Then I noticed there are three wires going into the plug but, only two prongs inside the plug.

My question is---are there suspose to be three prongs? See pic.
I'm thinking the missing prong powers the auto float.
Anyone know??

j2nh
12-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Typically 3 wires. One for pump on, one for pump on auto, and a ground (usually black).
What does the sticker say in the photo? I see "do not ground this...."

dsoby
12-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I can't tell from your picture what kind of pump you have. I have an '02 boat with a Johnson pump. It has a separate plug/wiring for the pump vs the float switch. If you have the same pump as me, the float switch plug has tow prongs. The newer float switches have three wires on them. The two brown wires go through the plug and are hot. The black wire is a ground. Try grounding this one and see if it fixes your problem.

TOO-TALL
12-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Typically 3 wires. One for pump on, one for pump on auto, and a ground (usually black).
What does the sticker say in the photo? I see "do not ground this...."

The sticker is on another wire.Not the wire that is missing the prong.

TOO-TALL
12-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I can't tell from your picture what kind of pump you have. I have an '02 boat with a Johnson pump. It has a separate plug/wiring for the pump vs the float switch. If you have the same pump as me, the float switch plug has tow prongs. The newer float switches have three wires on them. The two brown wires go through the plug and are hot. The black wire is a ground. Try grounding this one and see if it fixes your problem.

its a Rule-Mate 750.
Tommorow I'm gonna plug it back in a bypass the wires that the missing prong is on .If the float then kicks the pump on. I know then I'm missing a prong.

T-T