PDA

View Full Version : X-Star Ballast Question (pic included)

Willytown
12-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Ive got a quick question on how the xstar rear ballast tanks work. In the pic below, the red line runs directly into the tank and the blue line runs directly out the port side. That would make the blue line the overflow? How does this work? Im thinking of running the overflow off the rear tanks into v drive sacs and then then vent the sacs out the original overflow. I took a quick look today and just want to make sure im on the right track.

Willytown
12-14-2008, 10:10 AM
bump, can anybody who has installed v drive sacs using the tank overflow comment on how its done?

1boarder
12-14-2008, 11:25 AM
does it discharge out the sides when you dump the ballast. If it does, then it is like my old 06 x1. There is a check valve where the water comes in to the boat and goes to the manifold. It then goes to the pumps and into the tanks. When you discharge, the check valve system will only allow the water to go out of the sides and not through the bottom of the boat (the intake). This is not the overflow for the tank. This system has several check valves that can fail and MC changed it either in 07 or 08. The new boats just fill and discharge through the bottom of the boat.

I don't know what year you have, but from the pics I would guess that it fills from the bottom and discharges out of the sides. you need to find the overflow of the tank and those are not it. Fill the tanks to they overflow and follow the fitting that it overflows from out of the side of the boat and go from there. I think you are on the wrong track and you are looking at the discharge.

Willytown
12-14-2008, 12:06 PM
after taking a more detailed look at it i agree. its an 06, the intake comes from the hull into the manifold, then to the pumps, this boat is new to me so still figuring it out. its winterized and dry so i dont want to run water through the tanks, can anybody tell me where hte overflow is? il l go out and take a better look this week. it has to be pretty obvious

Justjoe
12-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Hey, The way I plumbed mine is by removing the overflow FROM the hard tank (its the one that vents out the side of the boat from the top of the Vdrive locker. I added a new hose to go from the top of the hard tank (the old overflow) to the bottom plug of the sac using that as the fill line for the v-drive sac. The top hole in the sac is then tied to the old overflow tube which is your new overflow for the whole shebang.

Justjoe
12-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Of course this is in an 07 x2, so...

Willytown
12-14-2008, 12:15 PM
thats exactly what i am planning, where exactly does the overflow exit the top of the tank in an xstar? i had an 08 x2, the overflow on that was obvious, i just didnt see where it was in the xstar at a quick glance.

wakeX2wake
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
i'm thinking its behind the boards at the rear of the locker... skeeler posted up a pretty dang good thread showing his install i believe... if not it was his shower install...

correction... skeeler did it on an 08 where they used new pumps... still might look at how his is pout together to tell you what you need to know...

if i'm not mistaken the new pumps started being used in 07

Willytown
12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
i found his install pics but he did it with add'l pumps. im just looking to tap the overflows off hte tanks. ill take a mroe in depth look today to locate the overflows.

the legend
12-15-2008, 08:22 PM
You should really clean and reoil that K&N flame arrestor.

Jerseydave
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Willytown,

Yours should be the same as my '05 X-star. Lift both front seats in the bow area, the discharge for each tank should come out of the boat near the sides of the windshield just below the rubrail. Your ballast tanks should have black hoses connected to the front of those tanks, remove that hose from tank and connect a long hose from there to your rear ballast bags at their bottom fittings. Now take a hose from your top fitting of your bag and run it forward to the black hose that you removed previously.

Your stock tanks will fill first, then water will overflow into your rear sacs filling them. To empty the system, the rear sacs will empty first, then the stock tanks will empty.

I ran mine this way all last year, worked perfect. The only downside is you cannot chose to fill the rear sacs by themselves as the hard tanks have to be full first.

I think I used about 50-60 feet of hose to plumb mine but it was worth it. I used (2) 400# Flyhigh sacs in the rear. You will need more ballast up front now, at least 500+ lbs. to help level-out the boat. Next year I'm going to try 700-750# up front on mine.

Good luck!

Willytown
12-16-2008, 09:32 AM
thanks nj! so you removed the overflow from the tank, replaced it with a hose goign directly to the sac and then ran the sac vent all the way back up to the front of the boat? did you just leave hte old vent hose where it was or pull it out?

is there an access hole to get to the tank overflow hose leaving the tank?

it seems like if you ran the vent all hte way back to the sac, then a new vent all the way to the front it would put alot of extra stress on the pumps? am i thinking about this correctly?

Jerseydave
12-16-2008, 07:30 PM
For the vent hose I connected the new hose to the old one with a male-to-male barbed fitting. I could have vented the sac near the back of the boat, but that would mean drilling and installing 2 new thru-hull fittings near the rear of the boat. It was just easier to run vent hoses up to the front of the boat since the thru-hull fittings are there already.

No extra strain on the pumps, I usually just turn them off when I see that the sacs are full anyway. No reason to run the pumps until water spits out, just fill the sacs and thats it. No one sees that there are 2 hoses on each side running toward the front of the boat anyway.

Willytown
12-18-2008, 09:12 PM
this is the port side vent leaving the tank going to the thru hull. so i unhook this hose and run a new hose from the tank to the bottom of the sac in the ski locker, then run a vent hose from the top of the sac back up and tie into this existing hose going to the thru hull?

Jerseydave
12-18-2008, 10:28 PM
this is the port side vent leaving the tank going to the thru hull. so i unhook this hose and run a new hose from the tank to the bottom of the sac in the ski locker, then run a vent hose from the top of the sac back up and tie into this existing hose going to the thru hull?

BINGO! YOU GOT IT! The cost of the hoses is well worth it. Simplicity at its finest.

Willytown
12-19-2008, 07:34 PM
thanks nj! now for the bow........

1) can I run the overflow from the kgb directly to port side sac, a hose from the port to stbd side sac, then vent the stbd at the original kgb vent location?

2) or should I run a T off the overflow to each front side sac has they have there own supply/drain, then vent each side sac individually. I could vent the stbd at the kgb existing location then vent the port into the port back sac vent line and use check valves on each one before they T into each other and out the thru hull.

the flyhigh kit calls for scenario one? (see pic)

does anybody have experience with doing it either way?

sand2snow22
12-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Sorry to hi-jack, anybody hear MC starting to go to the pure vert ballast system? Here is the system on a MB. Filling is much the same. I think Calabria has the patent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYhawR_IU-E

Willytown
12-22-2008, 12:20 PM
just to confirm my rear install, this is the stbd rear overlfow under the dash, correct?

Jerseydave
12-22-2008, 01:34 PM
^^ yes, that's it.

As far as your front sac install, I think idea (2) would work best. (the sacs will empty better that way, or so I've read) Keep in mind I think the under-seat sacs are only good for about 200# each. When I ran 500# of lead in the bow on mine the boat really wanted more weight than that. That's why this year I'm trying a 750# sac in the walkway.