PDA

View Full Version : DBW with Perfect pass in 2005

scramison
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I have been looking at X-2s from 2003-2005. From what I understand in 2005 the MCX was upgraded to drive by wire. Where things get blurry is whether or not that was a benefit from a tow boat stand point. What I have read is that perfect pass took some time to perfect with DBW. So anyone with experience involving a 05 MCX w/ DBW and how the perfect pass worked please speak up. From what I have read the perfect pass in 05 with DBW didn't hold the speed that constant. Please explain any remedies you know of, Vdig or what have you.

sand2snow22
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Scramison, I have 2 05 X2's. One has MC cruise, the other has PP. IMO the PP is much better. Engages quicker and holds speed better.

scramison
12-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Do they both have the MCX?

Have you ever used gps to see how accurately PP holds speed?

I found an 06 X-1 that was lightly used but it was so stripped down I decided to pass (MC Cruise). I wish MC had kept all of the standard options of the older X-2 on the X-1. X-1 has 600 lbs of stock balast vs 1000 lbs on the X-2. Alot of the X-1s have MC Cruise etc.

On a side note sand have you ever looked into what it would cost to get PP installed on your other boat?

Willytown
12-11-2008, 03:48 PM
05 and newer boats have DBW which makes it about a 1 hour project to install pp so dont let that deter you from buying a boat with mc cruise as pp is an easy upgrade if your willing to front the cost of the system.

Ole Miss Rebels
12-11-2008, 03:56 PM
i used to have an 05 xstar with mcx. the PP worked perfectly after i got PP so send me a new upgraded chip for it. it held the speed perfectly and locked in perfectly once PP got me that chip and told me how to set up the NN, CS and the other adjustable characteristic that I can not think of the acronym for. BUt, if you have the newer chip in your PP it works as well as my 08 Xstar with L18 does. They both held speed very good.

scramison
12-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Good to know. Just talk to PP customer service and they will send it out? How hard was it to install the chip?

scramison
12-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Has anyone rode behind a 03-04 and a 05 that can compare the tower differences? From what I understand the 03-04 is taller? How does that affect wakeboarding Vs the 05?

sand2snow22
12-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Scram, both have MCX. We carry gps with us. PP is better. From what I hear, easy install, but you have to have a dealer reflash the computer. somewhere north of $1000.

imo, the 05 tower is better, plus you get the spinner board racks!

scramison
12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
What is better about the 05 tower in your opinion? Just the cosmetics and spinner board racks or?

With how many MPH points on the GPS does PP hold VS MC Cruise?

Thanks

Ole Miss Rebels
12-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Good to know. Just talk to PP customer service and they will send it out? How hard was it to install the chip?

Find your PP module. it is usually underneath the steering wheel either at your knees or in the storage compartment in the bow below the steering wheel. get the numbers off of it. you may want to remove the cover from the module and get the number off of the little black chip inside the module. it is a pop-out/pop-in chip around 3/4 of an inch square and only about 1/32 of an inch deep. call PP and tell them what engine, year, pp module #, etc and they will send you a new chip if the one you have isn't working correctly or if it was one in the first batch that was giving them trouble. then be sure to ask them how to set up the adjustable characteristics dpending upon how you are going to use the boat and how much weight you will have in it, altitude, etc. I did not have to have my ecm re-flashed. it was a simple pulg in chip using a little chip puller they sent me along with the new chip. settin up the characteristics throught the PP menu is very important. if you don't have the PP manual that goes with your system ask them if they can send you one. it will tell you how to scroll through the menu and adjust the settings to what PP technical support suggests. good luck and let us knopw how it turns out.

fact is you may have a pefectly good system and chip. it may just need tweaking by adjusting the pull characteristics. i have adjusted all three of my PP systems and it completely changed the way the systems responds. callibrating the speed using a gps on smooth water is seperate from adjusting the pull characteristics but is critical, also.

Diesel
12-11-2008, 05:23 PM
i used to have an 05 xstar with mcx. the PP worked perfectly after i got PP so send me a new upgraded chip for it.

I have an 05 with PP and MCX. I went through about 3 different chips before my dealer just scrapped the whole thing and replaced the complete PP with the 06 multi-line model. PP and my dealer were great with their customer service but neither could get it to work properly. Since they swapped out to the 06 display and module I have had zero problems.

scramison
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
^this was a 05 Xstar?