PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter / Water Seperator

jsonova99
05-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Does anybody know how to remove the canister on the fueld filter for a '91 Prostar with the 351 in it? It's the filter that is mounted down in the side of the bilge, tannish color. Right after ths filter, the fuel line goes into the actual fuel pump. The filter has a drain plug on the bottom of the cannister, and a few white nylon screws, I'm wondering if they are what hold it together. I don't want to play aorund with it anymore though because it leak a lot of gas when I pulled the drain plug from the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jsonova99
05-10-2005, 09:35 PM
sorry if my last post was a bit jumbled on this thread, I was high as a kite on gas fumes when I wrote it. That thing dumps a lot of gs. Anyway, i still haven't figured out how to get it off, I guess I'll give skidim a call in the morning

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Remove the large screw in the middle of the top and pull on the bottom
It is initially held in by the screw but there is a pretty good suction on the canister that holds it in place after you remove the screw. I think is is about a 1 inch bolt

jsonova99
05-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Remove the large screw in the middle of the top and pull on the bottom
It is initially held in by the screw but there is a pretty good suction on the canister that holds it in place after you remove the screw. I think is is about a 1 inch bolt

Excellent, thanks a lot lakepirate!! :banana:

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 09:45 PM
No Problem, I just went through it the other night
You don't know how to get the cam and stop plate off the distributor shaft do you?

jsonova99
05-10-2005, 10:35 PM
No Problem, I just went through it the other night
You don't know how to get the cam and stop plate off the distributor shaft do you?

No idea, I haven't had to tackle that job yet. Here's my next question, I pulled the canister, replaced the element, and the old one was filthy, but hte package came with a 2 o-rings, no idea where they go, none came off with the old assembly, and I rushed to get it put back together becasue it made a huge mess. This leads me to my next question which is how much damage did I just do to my inner hull around the drain plug with the half gallon of gas I just dumped in there? I'm not kidding either, every bit of a quarter to half gallon. I just tried to clean everything out with simple green and buckets and buckets of water, but around all of the bolts for the fins is all gummy now like the gas ate away whatever was sealing them. I'm more worried if I ate away at the fiberglass at all. What a f%$#*@g disaster :mad: Any thoughts on this? I tried a pan to catch it but it over flowed and when i was trying to remove it it caught the engine and dumped. I also don't feel really well right now form the fumes and whatever I just absorbed through my skin. That is the single wrost job I have ever undertaken on anything! :rant:

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 10:38 PM
sorry to hear about the mess...that sucks...one o ring goes on the bottom of the filter the larger of the two goes on the top of the canister. Make sure you remove the old one. It is probably still in the lid of the canister

jsonova99
05-10-2005, 10:41 PM
sorry to hear about the mess...that sucks...one o ring goes on the bottom of the filter the larger of the two goes on the top of the canister. Make sure you remove the old one.

I figured out the one on the bottom of the filter, although the old filter did not have this one. I didn't use the new one for the cannister, and I'm afraid to take it apart again. Do you think i can get away with the old one there instead? Any tips on how to make this process go smoother if I do need to take it apart again?

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 10:45 PM
it should be fine, as long as the seal is good. I didn't have any problem because my gas tank was dry. Possibly a clorox bottle with the top cut off to catch the overflow?

jsonova99
05-10-2005, 10:47 PM
it should be fine, as long as the seal is good. I didn't have any problem because my gas tank was dry. Possibly a clorox bottle with the top cut off to catch the overflow?

I have to run it in the drive way this weekend anyway to adjust the idle on my carb, so I'll monitor for leaks

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
good luck
I hope it works out

jsonova99
05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
good luck
I hope it works out

Thanks for your help

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 10:57 PM
no problem, I wish that I had thought about it being full of gas

jsonova99
05-11-2005, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=LakePirate]no problem, I wish that I had thought about it being full of gas[/QUOT
note to self for next time, do not do with full tank of gas, HUGE mess!

T-Rager
05-11-2005, 01:30 AM
I have a 1990 ProStar 190 with the Racor water separator/fuel filter. I service the unit each spring. I find it easier to disconnect the fuel hoses (plug them after they are removed), unfasten the two bolts that connect the unit to its mounting bracket, and remove the entire assembly from the boat. The fuel contained in the cannistor can then be easily removed without spilling into the bilge, and the filter and gaskets/o-rings can be easily changed.

The large threaded fastener that you removed to separate the cannistor from the body also has several o-rings.

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 06:37 AM
be prepared to run out of gas within the next 15 minutes of run time. I would keep a can of starter fluid with you. If your boat stalls & won't start, you just hit the air pocket created by changing the filter. The best way I found around it was to either squirt gas down the carb, or JimN (or, was it someone else - I can't remember that far back) had suggested starting fluid.

jsonova99
05-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Well, the job is done for now, I am going to test run it this weekend, and if it doesn't leak, I'm leaving it as is until next season. If it does leak, then I will probably remove the whole thing as suggested. I still wnt to know though if all of that gas in the bilge could have damaged anything. I know gas can eat away certain things really quick. I did a good job of getting it all out, but it was there for a good 5 minutes while I played with the fuel filter.

Jimmer, if I run it until it dies, couldn't I just turn it over a few times to re-prime the line? Maybe I will just stand by with some gas to pur into the carb. I hate using starting fluid, that s$%t scares me, I don't want to blow a head gasket or something.

scott88prostar
05-11-2005, 07:45 AM
removing the entire filter then plugging the fuel hoses is easy and you'll barely spill a drop....I use nylon rope splicer to gently plug the hoses.

jsonova99
05-11-2005, 07:47 AM
reomoving the entire filter then plugging the fuel hoses is easy and you'll barely spill a drop....I use nylon rope splicer to gently plug the hoses.

I'll remember that for next time :( I definitely did not do this the best way. I'm not sure what you mean by nylon rope splicer, atleast I can't picture it.

H20skeefreek
05-11-2005, 07:54 AM
removing the entire filter then plugging the fuel hoses is easy and you'll barely spill a drop....I use nylon rope splicer to gently plug the hoses.
agreed, that's the way to do it. I bought brass fitting to put on the fuel line at West Marine (any plumbing place would have them) Not a bad thing to have, I took the carb off last winter for rebuilding, and used them to cap off the fuel line so the garage didn't fill with fumes.

as far as damaging anything.....yes you could have. I think they just use silicone on the through hull bolts and yes it could have eaten away at that. also, check your bilge pump, could damage that too if gas gets to it/goes through it.

I'd fill the bilge with water in the driveway and let is set for a few hours and see if anything leaks around those thru-bolts, if not, it probably didn't get to the stuff that is actually sealing the bolts, just the excess that squeezes out the top when they seal them.

don't worry, you didn't damage any fiberglass. How long did you let it set there?

jsonova99
05-11-2005, 08:04 AM
agreed, that's the way to do it. I bought brass fitting to put on the fuel line at West Marine (any plumbing place would have them) Not a bad thing to have, I took the carb off last winter for rebuilding, and used them to cap off the fuel line so the garage didn't fill with fumes.

as far as damaging anything.....yes you could have. I think they just use silicone on the through hull bolts and yes it could have eaten away at that. also, check your bilge pump, could damage that too if gas gets to it/goes through it.

I'd fill the bilge with water in the driveway and let is set for a few hours and see if anything leaks around those thru-bolts, if not, it probably didn't get to the stuff that is actually sealing the bolts, just the excess that squeezes out the top when they seal them.

don't worry, you didn't damage any fiberglass. How long did you let it set there?

a few minutes, maybe 5 at most before I started flushing everything heavily. I haven't tried my bilge pump since doing this, I will test everything out before I get back on the water though. By the way, what size are the fittings that you are talking about, I'm assuming our fuel lines are probably the same size.

H20skeefreek
05-11-2005, 08:10 AM
don't remember 1/4 pipe thread maybe......don't know I'll have to check.

jsonova99
05-11-2005, 08:17 AM
I can't stress enough how much I hate working with gasoline. I don;t mind oil or any other engine fluids, but gasoline is just bad news. I am probably going to give my bilge a really good scrubbing again to make sure that I don't have any residue left in thre at all. I'm just hoping that the filter went back together correctly. I didn't get that one gasket changed, but I have found that those rubbery gaskets that they use for gasoline are pretty robust and don't seem to deteriorate, alteast the ones that I hvae pulled for the fuel pump filter gasket and the one or two that were in the carb. In fact I actually had to re-use one in the carb because the one that came in my kit was cut wrong. No signs of leaks and the engine runs fine. Like I said, if everything comes out okay and there are no signs of leaks, I'll probably just leave the old gasket in until next season when I change the filter again. I'm going to give it a good run in the driveway this weekend, so I figure if no fuel is leaking then, it should be fine.

scott88prostar
05-11-2005, 09:21 AM
The rope splicer is just the diameter to fit inside the fuel hose....anything could work... Ive used old spark plugs... I wouldnt want to distort the hose too much.....First time I spilled the separator...was trying to hold the fuel line gas, gas everywhere...I remove the separator with the lines attached....then remove the line from the tank .... plug it....then plug the one to carb....put a dish of some sort under the separator pour the gas in to look for water....I do it about once a month....Ive found bugs and my old fuel cap chain....I can really notice a top end when the gas is slowing down.

jsonova99
05-11-2005, 09:28 AM
The rope splicer is just the diameter to fit inside the fuel hose....anything could work... Ive used old spark plarks... I wouldnt want to distort the hose too much.....First time I spilled the separator...was trying to hold the fuel line gas, gas everywhere...I remove the separator with the lines attached....then remove the line from the tank .... plug it....then plug the one to carb....put a dish of some sort under the separator pour the gas in to look for water....I do it about once a month....Ive found bugs and my old fuel cap chain....I can really notice a top end when the gas is slowing down.

You can actually just drain them once a month, tight? They do have a drain plug on the bottom instead of removing it.

scott88prostar
05-11-2005, 09:34 AM
They do... but I want to look at it.... and it seems just easy to me a 1/2 socket 2 bolts ....and its off in 5 minutes....you can just drain it.

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Well, the job is done for now, I am going to test run it this weekend, and if it doesn't leak, I'm leaving it as is until next season. If it does leak, then I will probably remove the whole thing as suggested. I still wnt to know though if all of that gas in the bilge could have damaged anything. I know gas can eat away certain things really quick. I did a good job of getting it all out, but it was there for a good 5 minutes while I played with the fuel filter.

Jimmer, if I run it until it dies, couldn't I just turn it over a few times to re-prime the line? Maybe I will just stand by with some gas to pur into the carb. I hate using starting fluid, that s$%t scares me, I don't want to blow a head gasket or something.

The problem is if you get an air-pocket in your line - your pump isn't as effecient.

I'm with you on the ether stuff. I swore that stuff off many years ago and would just drip some gas into the carb. I've heard of using a mustard bottle to control the flow a bit better. But - still, some swear by the starting fluid. whatever works for you. I didn't want you to be stuck in the middle of the water (like me) with a dead battery and a hot starter due to an air bubble in your gas line.

jsonova99
05-11-2005, 01:14 PM
The problem is if you get an air-pocket in your line - your pump isn't as effecient.

I'm with you on the ether stuff. I swore that stuff off many years ago and would just drip some gas into the carb. I've heard of using a mustard bottle to control the flow a bit better. But - still, some swear by the starting fluid. whatever works for you. I didn't want you to be stuck in the middle of the water (like me) with a dead battery and a hot starter due to an air bubble in your gas line.

I'll hook the hose up and deal with it in the driveway, I had my "dead in the water" experience for the year already.

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I'll hook the hose up and deal with it in the driveway, I had my "dead in the water" experience for the year already.

funny thing is - I did that on mine (much older boat, many years ago). Ran it for like 15 minutes. Figured it was ok, so I put it in the river. Just as soon as my driver got out of site, puttttttt.... it went. Had to get towed about 100 yards to my dock after killing my battery. DOH!

web
03-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Arghhhhh.
Just changed the filter in my water/fuel separator and should have read this thread first. I got the bowl off okay, but didn't realize that I still had gas drip, drip, dripping. Fast forward 48 hours and my garage smelled like a refinery, my wife was about the call the fire department, and I knew I'd better get this finished soon.
It went okay, and the job definitely needed to be done. There was a lot of gunk in there, and I had to destroy the old filter to get it out. Also, when putting the bowl and gaskets back on I wasn't able to get the center bolt to start threading until after I swore a lot. But it's done now and I can head into work (late).
Most of the dripping gas was caught by a rag that I had left in the bilge, but the silicon around the thru-bolts isn't looking very good any more. I'll have to check for leaks when things warm up around here.