PDA

View Full Version : OJ vs Acme Props

Springer
12-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Has anyone done any comparison between the ACME and the OJ props? ACME seems to offer more cup on there props and less pitch vs OJ more pitch and less cup.

ttu
12-10-2008, 02:13 PM
yes eastie did a write up.

hopefully he will chime in.

flipper
12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
I think he's talking about this one

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3462

flipper
12-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Looks like the main write up is gone, but eastie can probably still get it for you. Send him a PM

cmw
12-10-2008, 02:35 PM
This may be a dumb question. I have a 1990 boat with the original prop. It is in good shape. Would a newer prop be something I should look into. Maybe make it plain quicker, steer better or save me some gas. I am happy with the performance, mostly because I don't know any better. If I could enhance the performance by simply replacing the prop, I would. Any thoughts? :confused:

russlars
12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm sure others will chime in on this also, but I would say that myself and almost everyone else that I have talked to have noticed significant gains in hole shot and/or speed with the newer CNC props. :D

russlars
12-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Looks like the main write up is gone, but eastie can probably still get it for you. Send him a PM
I think this is the ACME vs OJ write up that you are looking for: http://www.easttxskier.com/proptest.html

BrianM
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
OJ and Acme both make great props. Comparisons of the two come out nearly a wash. There are differences but bottom line is that either is going to be a huge improvement over an old forged prop. Or if you need to dial for a particular characteristic each make a large variety of pitches, cups, diameters to meet your need. both are great companies. Eric with OJ is a fairly active member of this board and is a great guy to work with. Shoot him a PM or give him a call.

EJ OJPROP
12-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Pitch and cup are all relative. Relative to how you measure each. We all seem to measure them differently.

Pitch is measured along a radius line...which line you measure and where along that long will give you a pitch number. Is the propeller a constant pitch or variable pitch? Does the pitch change at all from the hub to the outer blade? Does the pitch change at all from the lead to the trail edge? Is the number on the prop a number plucked from a radius line or is it a median from the entire blade?

Cup too can be measured differently from builder to builder. Is the indicated .120 taken from a particular radius line or is it the average of the amount of cup across the balde tip?

Lots of variables that make it difficult to have an apples to apples comparison.

flipper
12-10-2008, 02:55 PM
I think this is the ACME vs OJ write up that you are looking for: http://www.easttxskier.com/proptest.html

That would be the one....thanks

BrianM
12-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Pitch and cup are all relative. Relative to how you measure each. We all seem to measure them differently.

Pitch is measured along a radius line...which line you measure and where along that long will give you a pitch number. Is the propeller a constant pitch or variable pitch? Does the pitch change at all from the hub to the outer blade? Does the pitch change at all from the lead to the trail edge? Is the number on the prop a number plucked from a radius line or is it a median from the entire blade?

Cup too can be measured differently from builder to builder. Is the indicated .120 taken from a particular radius line or is it the average of the amount of cup across the balde tip?

Lots of variables that make it difficult to have an apples to apples comparison.

Like I said. Eric is an active member here and a great guy to work with. Give him a shout and he will hook you up. Guaranteed.

Ole Miss Rebels
12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
1) a '99 205 V (old XStar) with LTR-330 hp

2) an '05 XStar with MCX-350 hp

3) an '08 XStar with L18-450 hp

I have had different props come standard on each one. All were OJ props, all were very good. However, I called/emailed Eric at OJ and he asked me several simple questions including, year and model, engine, tranny, altitude, original prop, primary and secondary uses of the boat, etc. He then made suggestions which I followed. All three times he made suggestions my boat performed entirely differently once i made the change he suggested. Getting the correct prop FOR YOUR APPLICATION is the single most important change you can make to your boat. You will be pleasantly shocked at how differently your boat will drive and handle with the propper prop. Good luck and post back if/when you make a change and let us know how you like it.

It is obvious that I am endorsing OJ over ACME. I have never owned an Acme but I have driven boats that do have them. They are fine props BUT my opinion is that IF all other aspects of the two props are equal then I believe that since OJ is the OEM supplier for MC we need to do our small part and keep them economically healthy by continuing to do business with them. Plus, Eric is as helpful of a person as i have dealt with in the boating industry.

cmw
12-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm sold. I am at the beginning of restoration, but when the time is right, I will make the call to Eric. I am looking forward to seeing the difference. Thanks!

JMann
12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
I just e-mailed OJ to see what they recommend for my 1991 prostar.

cbryan70
12-10-2008, 07:39 PM
13 x 11.5 is my guess

spanielman50
12-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I Have A 88 Prostar 190 Power Slot,,,,if I Had To Run The Stock Prop I'd Sell My Boat,,,,,,the Acme Prop Acme Recomended Changed Drastically My Boats Performance,,,,,,,we're Slalom And Barefoot Fanatics,,,,,,,,,i'm Super Impressed With Acme

FrankSchwab
12-10-2008, 10:04 PM
I gotta agree with Ole Miss Rebels.

Everything I've heard says both make fine props, but I gotta give the nod to OJ simply because of the great response they have on this board. I've learned more about props from Eric's answers to peoples questions than I would have imagined.

Eagle Lake Rebel
12-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Can't go wrong either way, but I switched over to Acme and couldn't be more pleased with the result. In my case it was a night and day difference between the two. Both companies are very professional and don't talk down the others product. They both take the approach of try it at no risk to the buyer so why not check them both out. The boy's in motor city could learn a thing or two from this type of customer satisfaction.

JohnE
12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd bet that either company can give you what you need if you tell them what you have. To say a new acme made a huge difference if you were running a 15 year old OJ doesn't really make a fair comparison. And vice versa.

Personally I'd go with OJ because I assume they know the nuances of each mc boat a little better. For example, since I bought my 214 this past February, OJ has designed an all new prop for it. And the boat ran phenomenal with the one they had on it. I can't imagine Acme could offer a better solution when OJ put all that time into the development of it. And if we were talking CC, I'd go with Acme for the same reason.

flipper
12-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Do either of them offer cash rewards or customer appreciation money?

east tx skier
12-11-2008, 10:43 PM
yes eastie did a write up.

hopefully he will chime in.

A little late with the response. Will need to find a new spot to host this soon when I let the site lapse next month.

www.easttxskier.com/proptest.html

brucemac
12-11-2008, 11:17 PM
+1 OJ. Eric is the man.

daverbeck
12-13-2008, 07:47 PM
I installed an ACME 541 on my '94 Prosport 205 TBI 1:1 trans. Big improvement in hole shot vs. the stock prop. Can't speak to top speed.

Really helped since one of my skiing partners is plus size (I would guess well over 250 lbs).

daverbeck
12-13-2008, 07:50 PM
One thing I did notice with the CNC prop is that there is a "ringing" noise (harmonics?) when it is first put into gear. Stops after a few seconds or as soon as you increase the RPM's.

André
12-14-2008, 09:31 AM
I installed an ACME 541 on my '94 Prosport 205 TBI 1:1 trans. Big improvement in hole shot vs. the stock prop. Can't speak to top speed.

Really helped since one of my skiing partners is plus size (I would guess well over 250 lbs).

Same prop on my 94 190,TBI 1:1.Excellent holeshot,in fact my partner 06 197 with MCX is noticebly slower...Couldn't tell you about top speed as i never exceed 34.2 mph...:D
No funny noise though...

JohnnyB
12-14-2008, 10:10 AM
One thing I did notice with the CNC prop is that there is a "ringing" noise (harmonics?) when it is first put into gear. Stops after a few seconds or as soon as you increase the RPM's.

Funny, I could hear that ring on my 92 ProStar.....I had an ACME 541 on that boat.....was worth every penny over the stock prop!!

russlars
12-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I have the ACME 541 on my '99 205 also. Definitely improved my hole shot and top end speed over the stock 4 blade OJ. It is also much easier to hold a constant speed, especially at wakeboarding speeds. Only complaint I have is the wake seems slightly taller at slalom speeds. Difficult thing to prove, but I can feel it skiing. The only noise I hear from the prop is when I take off the throttle and the boat is slowing down.