PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV 52” Help

RexDog1
12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
My DLP took a chit, the chip went out :( it is 4 years old so I am going to get a LDC to replace it:rolleyes:

OK I have read everything on LCD TV’s and I have looked at them in the stores, I am leaning to the Sony Bravia KLD 52XBR3 my problem is the room that it will be in is very bright, the room gets a lot of sun, what is the best way to go when you have a sunny room for your TV?:o

JimN
12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Ideally, use shades, blinds or drapes to decrease the brightness. Turning the brightness and contrast up on the TV will decrease it's life span.

Monte
12-10-2008, 11:12 AM
blinds;)... Sorry, that's all I got:o

mbeach
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
look at the samsung ln46a650 on sale at best buy for $1599. i currently have a sony 40" xbr and really like the 650 chasis which has a very bright display. it also comes in a 52 inch version for ~2K but the trick (not gator tricks) is to stay in the 650 chasis or better. remember also that best buy has a 30 day full return policy.

RexDog1
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Ideally, use shades, blinds or drapes to decrease the brightness. Turning the brightness and contrast up on the TV will decrease it's life span.

Thanks Jim I have heard that about the contrast and the life span,:o the room has 17' tall walls with very high windows my wife will never let me put shads on them she would say “it would look funny” do you know of a LDC that works well in a bright room?:(

RexDog1
12-10-2008, 11:28 AM
blinds;)... Sorry, that's all I got:o

You’re a big help :wavey:...................:D

JimN
12-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks Jim I have heard that about the contrast and the life span,:o the room has 17' tall walls with very high windows my wife will never let me put shads on them she would say “it would look funny” do you know of a LDC that works well in a bright room?:(

Most LCD TVs work well in a bright room- that's one of the strong points. One of the weak points is the need to have a fast refresh rate when you watch motion, like sports. On a smaller size, it's not as apparent but when you're in the 52" range, it's very obvious.

russlars
12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I will second the recommendation on the Samsung LCD for your situation. I own both a 46" and a 52" Samsung. Sorry, don't know the model numbers, but both are less than 1 year old. Both of these are located in brightly lit rooms and perform excellent. I chose LCD over plasma for the brightness of the picture and have not been disappointed. The viewing angle is good and I have not noticed any issues with fast moving sports or scenes in movies. One of the other nice things is being able to watch movies in a dark room with no ambient light. These put off so much light that when you do have a completely dark room you can move about in the room and not trip over things.:twocents:

RexDog1
12-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Most LCD TVs work well in a bright room- that's one of the strong points. One of the weak points is the need to have a fast refresh rate when you watch motion, like sports. On a smaller size, it's not as apparent but when you're in the 52" range, it's very obvious.

Thanks Jim
I am happy you chimed in on this; you have always been a plethora of information on this forum

I will second the recommendation on the Samsung LCD for your situation. I own both a 46" and a 52" Samsung. Sorry, don't know the model numbers, but both are less than 1 year old. Both of these are located in brightly lit rooms and perform excellent. I chose LCD over plasma for the brightness of the picture and have not been disappointed. The viewing angle is good and I have not noticed any issues with fast moving sports or scenes in movies. One of the other nice things is being able to watch movies in a dark room with no ambient light. These put off so much light that when you do have a completely dark room you can move about in the room and not trip over things.:twocents:

Thanks for the Samsung info!! I will look into it!!!!!:D

A friend told me to buy the TV at cosco, and try it out if you don’t like it you can take it back easily:confused: but I would like to get the right one the first time……….. I would feel bad just trying out TV’s and returning them, cosco takes a hit on an open box product :(

wakeX2wake
12-10-2008, 12:28 PM
ok i know this is a bit overkill but i've got 3 sony products over 40" and i have to say my bravia is definitely my second favorite (it's the 42"... and the only reason its my second favorite is b/c my 60" Grand Wega is the big cahuna and dominates all others... 1080p capability etc etc... i have the bravia in my bedroom hooked up to my ps3 and its grrrreat at 1080p and blu-ray movies look like you're looking out the window... ok better than that)... the bravia is a great tv and the only other tv IMHO that comes close is the pioneer elite which is up there in the price category as well... go for the sony... you won't be disappointed

russlars
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the Samsung info!! I will look into it!!!!!:D

My 52" Samsung came from Best Buy. The 46" came from Costco. Costco does have a very good return policy, I think 1 year and if I remember correctly they extend the warranty beyond the manufacturer. Also, don't forget, if you purchase with a credit card, many cards will double the manufacturer warranty. (Unless you buy at Costco online, the credit card extension doesn't apply since you can't use most of them in the warehouse). Just another thing to consider.

RexDog1
12-10-2008, 12:57 PM
I have bought my DLP from Best Buy with a 3 year warranty through Best Buy $300.00 and they have replaced blubs the chip 2 times all under warranty, I personally are very happy with Best Buy extend warranty serves,:D I know some people have some issues with them but not me
But will BestBuy doors be open in 3 years?:rolleyes: But I think I am going with them

flipper
12-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I have a sharp aquos, and love it. I'm not sure what model it is, but go it from costco. The numbers as far as reaction times and all that were close to the same as the $5000 tv's, but paid around $1300. The picture quality isn't as good, but it doesn't blur in fast moving scenes like many of them do in that price range.

D3skier
12-10-2008, 01:25 PM
I'd have to agree with the Samsung as well. We have the 52" 1080p model and have not had a single problem with it in a very well lit room.

hos505
12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I have the Sharp Aqous as well in a room that gets alot of sun and it works great. There are 3 types of Aquos, one has 64 in the model #, one has 84 & one has 92. These numbers have to do with clarity of picture and refresh rate, if you get the 84 or 92 in a 52" screen you will have very very nice LCD TV.

X2M
12-10-2008, 06:57 PM

I agree about the Samsung. We have a 52 inch LCD. The room it sits in has basically floor to ceiling windows... 12 w/ a glass door. When the TV is off it is like a mirror. When it is on there is no glare at all and the picture if very bright. We love it! Hope this helps.:)

dapicatti
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
We just bought the 52" Sony Bravia from Costco- it's in a really bright room and we haven't had any issues. It's only been a week, but so far its fantastic.

TX.X-30 fan
12-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Its all in the specs, not necessarily the name. Hey do you guys with samsungs get any cash from the settlement??. What a bunch of crooks, them and the panel makers.

trickskier
12-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I am leaning to the Sony Bravia KLD 52XBR3

I have been looking at this TV too. If you get one, please let me know how you like it.

TX.X-30 fan
12-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree about the Samsung. We have a 52 inch LCD. The room it sits in has basically floor to ceiling windows... 12 w/ a glass door. When the TV is off it is like a mirror. When it is on there is no glare at all and the picture if very bright. We love it! Hope this helps.:)

That's sweet but really your just going to get a headache with all this technical stuff. :D

georgea0731
12-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I was checking out LCDs for Christmas. One of the new models at Sam's Club, don't reminder the brand had something about automatic adjustments for lighting.
We have a 42 inch Sharp, 1080p about 2 years old and it works well in our big grand room with lots of windows. The issue I've noticed is the dark pictures and images are HARD at night with minimum lights. A friend who works as a TV repair guy, says no new changes for the next year or so and can't go wrong with a Sony.
I just heard Samsung is offering $400 rebate, good luck!

D3skier
12-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Its all in the specs, not necessarily the name. Hey do you guys with samsungs get any cash from the settlement??. What a bunch of crooks, them and the panel makers.

what settlement are you referring to? I'd like to check in to this one...

FrankSchwab
12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
We went through this last year; the Bravias had "great reviews", but got the Samsung LN-T4661 46"er which only had "really good reviews" because it was significantly cheaper. Ours faces a large window, and we get plenty of light in the summer. We have no complaints about it at all.

I don't think you can go wrong with either line. One suggestion I have - don't get the glossy screen. They look great in dark, home-theater setups, but they really suck in bright environments with all of the reflections you'll see. The Samsung came in several slightly different models; the 4661 was the matte finish screen, where the 4665 was the gloss finish screen.

Just my $0.02

/frank

RexDog1
12-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for all the feedback!!!!! :D

Last night I pulled the trigger on the Sony Bravia 52XBR3 I agree with most of you the Samsung has a better pitcher quality :twocents: but the Gloss screen would not work well in my TV room; it was cool one of the BestBuys I went to yesterday had the Sony 52” and the Samsung 52” right next to each other so I just sat and watched TV for about 15 minutes and you could see the Samsung had deeper Blues and Reds it could have been the set up on the TV I was watching? But you could see the Gloss screen would not work for me, like you all said ;)

Trick I will give you some more feedback after a week or so? I have only had it up and running for about an hour, but it was hard to find? I had to drive to Irvine about 25 miles to get it, and they only had one in stock in Sol Cal? Even the warehouse was out of stock?

Thanks again for the help!! :)

JimN
12-11-2008, 11:15 AM
FYI- BB was just nailed for tweaking the colors on the TVs they did and didn't want to sell. If it looks great, they want ot sell them and if it looks dull or just wrong, it's not what they "prefer" to sell, for one reason or another.

All TVs need to be adjusted for best picture quality. Period. They're never set up correctly out of the box. BB charges about $200 for setup- from what I have heard, they don't do what I know to be needed. Better to find an ISL certified tech and have them do it right.

The Bravia is a good one- some tweaking makes it look great. Test discs exist for this and they're available on the open market. AVS forum and Audioholics are a couple of good places to look for calibration info.

east tx skier
12-11-2008, 10:46 PM

Not on mine! :)

I highly recommend that LN55A950 or LN46A950 from Samsung. Friggin' amazing TV.

JimN
12-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Not on mine!

Are you watching that test pattern again?:wavey:

atlfootr
12-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Ideally, use shades, blinds or drapes to decrease the brightness.
Turning the brightness and contrast up on the TV will decrease it's life span.There's always window tint.

RexDog1
12-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Not on mine!

I highly recommend that LN55A950 or LN46A950 from Samsung. Friggin' amazing TV.

And where were you before I pulled the trigger?......LOL :D

Last night I sat like Jim says “tweaking the colors” for about 2 hours OMG it was driving me crazy :rolleyes: short drive..............

Brightness, white level, sharpness, tint, oh and color levels?? And then screen size which changes everything you did before?? I think I have it?? I put in a Blue Ray NICE!!!!! :D I am very happy with it, but the setup was more than I thought, the only problem I am thinking about? I did the setup at night in the dark? Now how will it look with this setup in the day time??? :confused: I will play with it more this weekend!!!!

JimN
12-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Next time you watch in daylight, try adjusting ONLY the contrast. If this takes care of any issues, your colors and everything else should be OK. Just bump it up a couple of steps. You may need to adjust the color level a bit.

X2M
12-12-2008, 10:44 AM
That's sweet but really your just going to get a headache with all this technical stuff. :D

Wow. You're really a sexist pig. :D Huh... and I didn't even get a headache. :D