PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Gauges

STAR
12-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I have a 87 TriStar that I have been restoring and about half of the gauges work. All gauges but the speedo are vdo gauges. If I purchase these replacement gauges from Overton's what do you think the chances are of them working? Any advice or guidance, especially from someone that has done this job would be appreciated.
Thanks

Skipper
12-10-2008, 07:32 AM
I replaced all of the guages on my 87 SN with Faria guages. I actually built a new wiring harness for the dash. No problems.

One consideration is what effect will replacing the guages with non-original equipment have on resale value. It is great to have working guages that look good. But many of the hard core keep it original crowd frown on such activity.

It is possible, not really easy (in my opinion) to find original guages in working condition. There are some other tricks like having a sign shop make new faces for the replacement guages so they look like the original.

But all that aside, sometimes the problem with your guages that aren't working is not that the guage themselves don't work. Grab an ohm meter and do some checking.

Good luck.