PDA

View Full Version : Question about DirecTV

Kevin 89MC
12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Any DirecTV experts out there? We have a standard system from when it first came out ~9 years ago. Single dish, single pickup, standard receiver. Installed myself, easy enough, still works great. We're not quite ready to make the jump to HD, but we're looking at DVR's. What are some opinions of DVR's as opposed to DVD recorders? We have a VCR, but often want to record 2 shows at once, or record one and watch another. I do have a 2nd older VCR and a digital converter box, but that VCR is starting to eat tapes.
I can get a DVR receiver from DirecTV or Best Buy for ~$100, but I checked ebay and it looks like I could get one much cheaper, probably due to the arrival of HD components. There appear to be a lot of different makes & models out there. Will any unit work with my old dish, as long as it is compatible with DirecTV? Any manuf or models to steer clear of? I'm assuming I have to upgrade my dish to get 2 channels at once? I'm thinking of getting the DVR first, then if we like it, getting a newer dish if needed. There also looks to be an additional fee for having a DVR? Guess they get you any way they can!
Thanks in advance,
Kevin

D3skier
12-09-2008, 10:42 PM
from my horrific experience with that terrible company, to get a standard DVR you'll have to have two cables going to that specific box to start and if you upgrade to HD it will require a different dish all together along with two cables to the box. Also be very aware that if you upgrade no matter if you buy from eBay or Best Buy they will stick you in a new contract because you are upgrading equipment.

TX.X-30 fan
12-09-2008, 11:13 PM
from my horrific experience with that terrible company, to get a standard DVR you'll have to have two cables going to that specific box to start and if you upgrade to HD it will require a different dish all together along with two cables to the box. Also be very aware that if you upgrade no matter if you buy from eBay or Best Buy they will stick you in a new contract because you are upgrading equipment.

Not my experience at all, very good product and customer service for me has been great. I live in the sticks too.

Call them and tell them what you want and want to do, all the hardware is rented now so that sucks but when it breaks it doesn't suck. You can run splitter and not a separate feed as d3 should have done.

get the HD and don't look back.

TX.X-30 fan
12-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Sorry they give you all the new dish stuff so don't worry, and they install it now.

Andyg
12-09-2008, 11:55 PM
You can find a lot of good information on satellite systems from the Satellite Guys Forum (http://www.satelliteguys.us/index.php). Post your question over there nd I am sure you will get more activity then here.

Andyg

Gamble
12-10-2008, 01:32 AM
I'd look into dishnetwork as opposed to directv..........only reason I say this is b/c the folks at directv are notorious for stickin it to you after you subscribe and they'll raise your rate...........crappy service, and dishnetwork doesnt do that!

Jerseydave
12-10-2008, 05:07 AM
I use to have DirecTV, no complaints.

We now have Comcast cable with HD and a DVR............you won't regret getting a DVR, so nice. I went with the bundle pack (TV, phone, internet)

If you have Verizon Fios in your area you may want to look into that. Great HD picture as well, plus you can get Fuel TV which Comcast does not offer yet.

sdesmond
12-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Man that sucks you had a bad experience with them. I just got a plasma and figured I would call them to see what they could do before I drop 200 on an HD DVR. I called them to see what I could get and they hooked me up with a new HD DVR, new dish and installation all for free. This will be the first box I am leasing from them. I have never heard of them renewing your contract if you add new equipment that you have purchased on your own. I have 6 boxes that I own and never have not had a contract for the last 6 years. I have added on equipment many times. Also we have our boxes at our lake house and we have it all one bill. My bill is about $90.00 for 6 boxes, DVR service and HD.I have all channels except for the premium channels. For us it works out well because of haveing the equipment at two locations and not having to pay two bills. Either way I think it is a good company and you cannot go wrong with them.

JimN
12-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Unless you upgrade the dish, you won't get HD programming. You're aimed at one satellite and the HD dishes are picking up three, with a multi-switch. I have a DirecTV R-15 receiver that's going back soon because it locked up and now, I'll be losing everything that was recorded to the hard drive. I'll be looking into getting an external hard drive to dump shows to and for setting it up as a music server.

You have been with DirecTV for 9 years- call their customer retention department and make them upgrade your equipment at no charge, and ask "What else do you have?" when they tell you what they'll do for you. I did that when I forst signed up for the free equipment/install package and got a $10/mo discount, a free portable DVD player and free programming. Grind them like you have never ground anyone before.

mlay
12-10-2008, 01:40 PM

I agree 100%, the absolutely worst company I have ever had to deal with. Everytime I deal with them its something new. I already have a date with them to pick up all their crap the day my contract expires or gather it off the lawn.

If cable is still not available when my contract expires in a few months then I will no doubt go with a different company.

I called them and asked what I needed for HD. As told I went to Bestbuy and bought one. Would not work so they told me they had to come out and put in a new dish. After days of one thing after another, that is when they said, "oh by the way, your contract is now extended 2 years". Said that its on the small print on every statement you get monthly. Since we have direct pay I never even look at those.

Terrible company...go elsewhere if at all possible.

Jesus_Freak
12-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Bummer to hear about everyone's trouble. I have to put up with the same garbage from dishnetwork. There is always some hidden fee, perfectly good reason something doesnt work as advertised, etc. I guess our only hope is to continue to do what JimN suggests, which is to play them against one another in the name of free trade. :)

flipper
12-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I've been with direct tv for about 8 or 9 years, and have had some problems, but nothing major. No matter where you go, there's going to be problems of some kind. Cell phone companies are the same way. Just have to learn to play their game. I mess with direct tv all the time, and if I don't get what I want, hang up, call back, and talk to another person until you get what you want.

OhioX14
12-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I had cable for years, then Dish Network for 4 - 5 years, and finally switched to DirecTV about 6 years ago and never looked back. If you want the latest TV has to offer it's hands down the best choice. I grew VERY tired of Dish's claims of having issues negotiating with various channels and other endless excuses of why they couldn't, or wouldn't, carry this or carry that. DirecTV just plain gets every new channel that's offered whether you ask for it or not and their rates don't go up any more often than cable or Dish. And it you have any interest in sports it's the ONLY choice.

D3skier
12-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I agree 100%, the absolutely worst company I have ever had to deal with. Everytime I deal with them its something new. I already have a date with them to pick up all their crap the day my contract expires or gather it off the lawn.

If cable is still not available when my contract expires in a few months then I will no doubt go with a different company.

I called them and asked what I needed for HD. As told I went to Bestbuy and bought one. Would not work so they told me they had to come out and put in a new dish. After days of one thing after another, that is when they said, "oh by the way, your contract is now extended 2 years". Said that its on the small print on every statement you get monthly. Since we have direct pay I never even look at those.

Terrible company...go elsewhere if at all possible.

Do a google search for DirecTV complaints and see how much BS pops up you'd be amazed. We cancelled our service early and told them to take their cancellation fees and shove it. We were promised all these upgrades and free services and never got them. After 1 month of being on the phone almost on a daily basis for a MINIMUM of 45 minutes I told them to get this garbage out of my house. I even went to the extent of pulling separate RG-6 just for my satelite drops so they couldn't interfere with my cable drops at all and mess with my high speed internet connection. I use to do installs for the local cable company and have seen many a messed up connections due to what Dish and DirecTV has installed.

JimN
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Do a google search for DirecTV complaints and see how much BS pops up you'd be amazed. We cancelled our service early and told them to take their cancellation fees and shove it. We were promised all these upgrades and free services and never got them. After 1 month of being on the phone almost on a daily basis for a MINIMUM of 45 minutes I told them to get this garbage out of my house. I even went to the extent of pulling separate RG-6 just for my satelite drops so they couldn't interfere with my cable drops at all and mess with my high speed internet connection. I use to do installs for the local cable company and have seen many a messed up connections due to what Dish and DirecTV has installed.

I got three words for all of the satellite Co complaints- Time Warner Cable. They suck worse than any other provider I have dealt with. They could tell installers/integrators how to do certain things (make changes to the configuration or see signal strength on the box) but they won't unless you're one of their contractors. I won't be one, because I would have to do their installs, for an amount that isn't worth my time. Their signal usually is weak, distorted and usually has voltage on the shield (mostly leaky amplifiers and bad grounding). The installers almost always do the fastest/worst job possible and then I have to deal with the cleanup, because they won't pay me, just credit the customer (maybe). They raise their rates at the drop of a hat and once my bill hit $80 with no pay channels, I switched. They tried to jack my RoadRunner to $50/month and only backed off when I told them I would go to satellite if they didn't. Customer service isn't and the tech people don't have a clue. Only the tech department that deals with the contractors is any help and it's usually not possible to talk to them unless you're a contractor.

D3skier
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I got three words for all of the satellite Co complaints- Time Warner Cable. They suck worse than any other provider I have dealt with. They could tell installers/integrators how to do certain things (make changes to the configuration or see signal strength on the box) but they won't unless you're one of their contractors. I won't be one, because I would have to do their installs, for an amount that isn't worth my time. Their signal usually is weak, distorted and usually has voltage on the shield (mostly leaky amplifiers and bad grounding). The installers almost always do the fastest/worst job possible and then I have to deal with the cleanup, because they won't pay me, just credit the customer (maybe). They raise their rates at the drop of a hat and once my bill hit $80 with no pay channels, I switched. They tried to jack my RoadRunner to $50/month and only backed off when I told them I would go to satellite if they didn't. Customer service isn't and the tech people don't have a clue. Only the tech department that deals with the contractors is any help and it's usually not possible to talk to them unless you're a contractor.

hit the nail square on the head for that one Jim

corey
12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
This is pretty interesting, I was just looking at DirectTV today and currently have Time Warner Cable.

We have problems with our digital cable everytime it gets cold and/or windy. Can't seem to explain why it happens but when it gets bad I have to disconnet the cable box and go directly to the TV which means I don't get any of the premium channels I pay for!