PDA

View Full Version : Window tinting???

X2M
05-10-2005, 07:30 PM
We are thinking about getting the windows tinted on the boat. Because we usually go out either first thing in the morning or in the late afternoon/evening. Between the sun and the glare off the water, it hurts the eyes. So guys, what do you think? Anybody out there done this? Waste of money? Will doing this void the warranty?

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 08:01 PM
i dont see why i would void the warranty. some boats look good and some bad with it. lets see a pic of your boat. i think my boat would look bad . my buddy's air warrior looks good.

rem_pss308
05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Its going to be like in a vehicle. If you ride at night, It will be hard to see out of.

X2M
05-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Rod - Here is a picture. I also posted 2 in x-series gallery.

Rem - We have thought about the driving at night thing. That is a con on the pros and cons list.

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 08:38 PM
should look good!

Cloaked
05-10-2005, 09:30 PM
I don't see a personal preference of tinting but if it floats yEr boat??? :D

Here's a pic for the look see.

Tom023
05-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Personally I've never understood nor liked window tinting on a boat. I would prefer not to have anything interfere with my ability to see other boats or something in the water. Just my .02.

JEREMY79
05-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Rod, how did you do that??

Do it with this one.

Leroy
05-10-2005, 10:14 PM
I think maybe a 20% would be nice. I have helped my son do this to his car and we're getting pretty good at it! It's really pretty easy.

André
05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Good sunglasses will help much more with the glare than window tinting in my opinion.
If you want the "Look" ,20% would be the most.

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 11:00 PM

Do it with this one.

i just used photoshop. im at home now, no photoshop.

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 11:30 PM
I don't think it would look good on the older boat.

X2M
05-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Thank guys for all of input so far. :) If we do decide to tint, we were thinking of only doing 20%, 30% max. Just enough to take the edge of the sun off.
Andre - We both wear polarized sunglasses. Me Maui Jim. (Best sunglasses I have ever owned!) They help.
Rod - Thanks for the photo shopping of the pic. It was good to see the what if.
Leroy - We would be paranoid I think to attempt to do this on our own.
Better to let the professionals handle it...well maybe not...they could screw it up too!

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 12:00 AM
I forgot, after you spent all that $$$ on the paint job, I would leave the windows alone and let the paint be the focus.

Leroy
05-11-2005, 12:11 AM
If the curve isn't too bad it's easier than wallpaper. I had never done until couple of months ago and now my son's friends are asking us to do their cars:eek: About $30 to tint a car and $150 at the shop. I mostly want my son to do some things with his car and learn some stuff.

Leroy - We would be paranoid I think to attempt to do this on our own.
Better to let the professionals handle it...well maybe not...they could screw it up too!

Leroy
05-11-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm with Andre, few boats look good with tint and there is very little practicle about it. Who looks throught the window?

X2M
05-11-2005, 12:17 AM
If the curve isn't too bad it's easier than wallpaper. I had never done until couple of months ago and now my son's friends are asking us to do their cars:eek: About $30 to tint a car and $150 at the shop. I mostly want my son to do some things with his car and learn some stuff.

Now you will be a cool Dad. :cool: I think that's great!
The curves on the window have us worried. We are wondering if the guys at the shop would be able to do a good job on it. When I went to get a quote they told me they had to see the boat to measure everything (I guess that meant the curves too). So, I have no idea how much it is even going to cost. I just don't know. Probably won't even happen.

X2M
05-11-2005, 01:43 AM
So now to "jack my own thread". :) What do you guys think about tower lights. What are the pros and cons? Waste of money? Useful? We can get a good deal on some PIAA (sp?) lights. A set of two for 19.99. Thinking about putting 4 of them on the tower. They would be helpful on those nights when we stay out and get that last run in before the light is gone. Then have to head back in the dark. And also for loading in the dark. (Our ramp only has one small security light after dark). What do you think?

AirJunky
05-11-2005, 03:07 AM

Do it with this one.
Hows this Jeremy?

Hey momma, sounds tough to bring it in at night. Lights glaring off the black windshield. :dance:

André
05-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Andre - We both wear polarized sunglasses. Me Maui Jim. (Best sunglasses I have ever owned!) They help.

Nathalie got some Maui Jim too.Amazing sunglasses,what a difference with my Oakleys

jsonova99
05-11-2005, 07:04 AM
I'm usually on one knee looking over the windshield anyway, I hate sitting down, I feel like a little old lady that can't see over the sterring wheel. I do need to get a good pair of sunglasses though, I keep breaking my Oakley's

X2M
05-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Hows this Jeremy?

Hey momma, sounds tough to bring it in at night. Lights glaring off the black windshield. :dance:

Airjunky - Didn't think about that. I drive a Yukon and put the back hatch up while loading and unloading. And yes, that means I am the one that backs the trailer. :D

BrianM
05-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Jeremy, I'm not Rod but here you go man........

Just noticed that someone already posted this. Oh well just consider it Version 2.0

JEREMY79
05-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Version 2.0 is lighter than 1.0. I think it looks better. I may do that

BrianM
05-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Version 3.0. Lighter still.

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Airjunky - Didn't think about that. I drive a Yukon and put the back hatch up while loading and unloading. And yes, that means I am the one that backs the trailer. :D

That's awsome. But, why are you turning your head? That's what the side mirror's are for.:D

JEREMY79
05-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Sweet. I love it. See the boat in the back ground? see what you can do with that. I will try to post onother pic of it. We are both thinking of tinting our windshields.

Crash
05-11-2005, 12:31 PM
I have to say, when this thread started I looked away, but the more I see the more I like. I'm going to have to photoshop my boat and see how it looks too. These are looking sweet, could be the next look on the waterways!

BrianM
05-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Sweet. I love it. See the boat in the back ground? see what you can do with that. I will try to post onother pic of it. We are both thinking of tinting our windshields.

Here you go. I don't feel much like working today. Photoshopping is much more fun.:o

X2M
05-11-2005, 12:36 PM
That's awsome. But, why are you turning your head? That's what the side mirror's are for.:D

Jimmer - I tried the mirrors when we got our first boat. That ordeal almost ended in divorce. :D So, I stick with what works. By turning my head I can back that thing up anywhere.

BrianM - Could you do your magic on mine too? A little lighter on the tint would be really nice. :)

BrianM
05-11-2005, 12:41 PM
X2momma,

How about doing a wicked red tint on that windshield? Now here is some bling.......................

X2M
05-11-2005, 12:44 PM
X2momma,

How about doing a wicked red tint on that windshield? Now here is some bling.......................

Thats funny!! :D :D Can they even do that? I don't know not really feeling it...what else do you have?

BrianM
05-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I have seen a couple of cars done in red and a couple in blue. Here is just a normal one a bit lighter.

X2M
05-11-2005, 12:49 PM
I like that one. :) What do you think? Is it to much?

BrianM
05-11-2005, 12:52 PM
If it were mine I would do it. I think it looks great. I am planning on doing mine this spring. Our course is directly east and west so evening sets as the sun is going down is tough. I never drive the boat at night so I don't care about that issue.

What do y'all think.....

X2M
05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
I like it. :) Let us know how it goes (with the window curves). Post some pictures too. We are still thinking about tinting ours. I think the main con on the the pros and cons list is the night thing. We come in after dark about once a week in the summer. Thanks for the photo shop. :)

BrianM
05-11-2005, 01:05 PM
:) Let us know how it goes (with the window curves).

The windshield on my boat is nearly flat. The large piece in the front has a very slight curve to it but the side pieces are perfectly flat. I have a good tint shop that has done my truck and my wifes car. They can tint anything but the large curve just takes a little more time.

Thrall
05-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know, can you get a mirrored window tint (for lack of a better term) that has no tint, just like a one sided mirror?
Chrome windshield, completely transparent looking out.

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 08:06 PM
You might have to change the glass for that???

bsimpson
05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
I had mine tinted before I picked it up from the dealer. They ordered the boat without the windshield on so that they could get the tinting inside the frame. I love it. When it's dark you just use the booster seat and watch over the top. :D

rem_pss308
05-11-2005, 09:20 PM
So now to "jack my own thread". :) What do you guys think about tower lights. What are the pros and cons? Waste of money? Useful? We can get a good deal on some PIAA (sp?) lights. A set of two for 19.99. Thinking about putting 4 of them on the tower. They would be helpful on those nights when we stay out and get that last run in before the light is gone. Then have to head back in the dark. And also for loading in the dark. (Our ramp only has one small security light after dark). What do you think?

I have lights on my tower.

They are not much good for driving fast. But they are great for docking, and loading the boat after dark. We have used them a couple of times in a lake to wake board, and wake surf with, but Florida law keeps us from doing it much.

If I had it to do over, I would only put two lights forward. on the tower. or just install the bow docking lights, like the nautiques have.

X2M
05-11-2005, 10:31 PM
If I had it to do over, I would only put two lights forward. on the tower.

Rem - So on a 6 light bar you would only put two facing front and 4 facing back? Why? What is the wattage (sp?) of your lights. We passed on the cheap PIAA's. Were thinking about building a light bar ourselves, but thought it wouldn't look good. Found a website that we can get a 6 light bar set with everything we need for around the same price we would have spent to build it. These lights are 35 watt. To small?