PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire Mount for Trailer

Tom Wortham
08-12-2004, 06:50 PM
I have a 1986 MC. I have a spare, but have not figured the best way to mount it. The Trailer is the matching decal trailer that came with the boat. I was trying to find a "tire mount" to fit around the trailer frame and bolt the tire to it... However, the tire was sitting too high and would hit the bow of the boat. Anyone had any luck with mounting a spare tire to a 1986 or earlier trailer? :cool:

Cousin_Jeff
08-17-2004, 03:03 PM
I had an '84 and I believe they are the same trailer as your '86. I bought an aftermarket spare tire holder from either Overton's or West Marine and just mounted it to the frame on the opposite side of the hand crank (so it didn't get in the way if I need to use the wench). Worked fine. I will admit that it looked like I was going to hit it every time I loaded the boat on the trailer but in actuality there was plenty of room. I looked to see if I had a picture and unfortunately I do not.

Tom Wortham
08-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks Cousin Jeff...
I have the crank for the boat strap on one side and the crank for the front wheel on the other... I'll try and switch the crank for the front wheel so I will have some room. Thanks for the note.

captkidd
08-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Can't tell how much room there is, but you might be able to mount your spare on top of the trailer frame, between the winch support and the v-bunk support. If it will fit it will be easy to mount and out of the way. Northerntool.com also has spare tire mounting brackets.