PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank pressure relief valve

BHT
12-08-2008, 11:42 PM
On my X1 when I remove the boat cover there is a slight gas odor that dissipates quickly. During my inspection of the fuel system I see that the gas tank venting hose is connected to the fill port. I think you would call the gas tank a closed system because the gas vent hose connects to the fill port and vents back in to the tank. Does anyone know if there is a pressure relief valve on or near the gas tank or does the plastic gas tank expand enough on those hot days?

coz
12-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know if there is a pressure relief valve on or near the gas tank or does the plastic gas tank expand enough on those hot days?

Just loosen your gas cap on hot days, when it's 120 degrees here in az that's what we do with the boat (depending on how much fuel is in the tank) dirtbikes & jetskis too and the jetskis were the worst. I remember when we moved here and I smelt some serious fumes and noticed one of the j-skis was leaking gas out the cap so I losened it to remove and litterally had gas blowing out because of the pressure. Just remember to tighten when you go out.

BHT
12-09-2008, 02:36 PM
The reason for the question is I’m trying to track down where the gas odor is coming from. Even with the cool weather here the gas odor is still present. On a previous boat I had the same problem and by pressurizing the gas tank we found a small air leak on a threaded fitting.

bigmac
12-09-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't think it's a closed system. I think the gas tank is vented to the air. While those vents on boats used to be separate external vents, these MasterCrafts just vent back to the filler neck. Still open to the air, though - there is no pressure relief valve since there is no pressure.

bkblaida
12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
We have a 97 PS205 and have the same problem. When covered, we develop a gas odor inside the boat. Making sure the external vent on the stern of the boat is not covered seems to help but does not eliminate the problem. Is there another vent inside?