PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass work/gel coat

scramison
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I have been looking for the deal of my lifetime and feel I might have found it. This boat is in excellent shape with under 150 hours. However, when I called the guy he said it was in the shop till mid january getting a repair done to the hull. He said he didn't know when the incident happened but noticed the damage one day. He thinks it happened when loading the boat into the trailer and that something was in the way on the trailer.

Anyways my question is would you buy a boat that has been repaired in the front of the hull? He said his insurance covered it and thought the repair would total around $2k. It is the size of an egg and it turned the hull surface a grey color (boat is white). It went through the gel coat according to him. Everything else on the boat is top notch and very clean. He says when its done I wont be able to notice anything and that his local boat shop is doing the repair (reputable shop he says but doesn't deal mastercraft only sanger and centurion). So what is the general opinion on this?

flipper
12-08-2008, 04:02 PM
What kind of warranty on the repair? If the shop will stand behind their work for a decent length of time, and it was only gel coat damage, no fiberglass, I'd go for it if it's what you want for the price you want.

loeweb
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Only an egg shape, no structural damage. As previously mentioned if the price is what you want and it's the deal of your lifetime don't hesitate, get it!

scramison
12-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I asked him how deep and he said past the gel coat with some fiberglass work needed to be done. Good point about the warranty flipper I will ask.

I guess fiberglass work would be structural damage?

flipper
12-08-2008, 04:21 PM
I would think it could be, but I also think if repaired by a good shop, that stands behind their work, you should be fine. i don't think a good shop would fix it, if the fix wasn't going to be a good one.

Skipper
12-08-2008, 04:32 PM
I would be all over that deal. In fact, if you don't take it, let me know where to buy it (if it is a Prostar 197). The boat can be fixed and it will be just fine.

My first inboard had been crashed into the rocks at speed and the bottom of the hull from the strut to the rudder was broken apart. The repair was solid. I later rebuilt the entire boat: my boat rebuild (http://freewebs.com/billsboatworks)

A little fiberglass damage near the bow is a walk in the park. The shop just needs to expose the fiberglass to get enough coverage before doing the repair. Then it is just some gelcote work.

I would not let that get in the way of "the deal of a lifetime":twocents:

TX.X-30 fan
12-08-2008, 04:34 PM
If it went through the hull completely it still would not pose a structural issue. As long as they do a good job go for it. You will not notice the spot from behind the wheel or at the end of a rope.

wilhelmwake
12-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Fiberglass & gelcoat repairs are easy, Basically a repaired hull is actually stronger than the original one since you have more fiberglass after the repair --> go for it :)

scramison
12-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Thats a pretty cool web page skip. Im sure you have saved a lot of people some time and money. So basically expose the area around the damage so its fiberglass on top of fiberglass. Then gelcoat over it after you lay the fiberglass and your done?

Seems simple enough. I wont be doing the work but like to know whats involved and how reliable it is. Thanks

TMCNo1
12-08-2008, 05:59 PM
What would scare me is this statement from him, " He thinks it happened when loading the boat into the trailer and that something was in the way on the trailer", I'm just sayin!.

scramison
12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
What would scare me is this statement from him, " He thinks it happened when loading the boat into the trailer and that something was in the way on the trailer", I'm just sayin!.

Well he said he didn't know what happened and when he took it to the dealer, they mentioned something in the way on the trailer that needed to be shaved down. Not sure what your saying though? That maybe it could get damaged again or something?

TMCNo1
12-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Well he said he didn't know what happened and when he took it to the dealer, they mentioned something in the way on the trailer that needed to be shaved down. Not sure what your saying though? That maybe it could get damaged again or something?

I can't imagine what would be in/on the trailer to get in the way, unless he just got all crooked trying to load. I would clarify what is needed to be ground off, by asking the dealer what it was. Don't want it happening again, right?

scramison
12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Yea something to do with missing the front roller so he must have been off with the boat. Thanks for bringing this up as I will want to know what was going on with the trailer as well as the boat. I was thinking mainly about the boat but your right both need to be in correct order.

Skipper
12-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Thats a pretty cool web page skip. Im sure you have saved a lot of people some time and money. So basically expose the area around the damage so its fiberglass on top of fiberglass. Then gelcoat over it after you lay the fiberglass and your done?

Seems simple enough. I wont be doing the work but like to know whats involved and how reliable it is. Thanks

I recommend extending the repair 40% over the damaged area. But yes, grind off the gel cote, cut away the damaged glass. Shape the repair area. Make the repair with the new glass. Fair and sand to blend. Then apply the new gel, sand, polish, and buff.

Just take a good look at the trailer. If a roller is missing that could explain the problem. Not sure why somebody wouldn't spend twenty bucks to replace it? Sounds like the previous owner may not have given the boat the best possible care, but if it means you will save a substantial amount of money....?