PDA

View Full Version : water leak

SPLIFF
12-08-2008, 02:17 PM
i know i need pics for this but i installed a water impellor this weekend and i guess it works b/c i have 2 waterleaks. the water is coming behind both threaded pipe looking things in the front sides of the engine exhaust. i do not know the name of it sorry.

russlars
12-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Hard to diagnose with the information given. However I am curious, did your old impeller wear out during use and if so did the engine overheat at all?

SPLIFF
12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Hard to diagnose with the information given. However I am curious, did your old impeller wear out during use and if so did the engine overheat at all?
the old impeller had nothing left on it was just the round middle part left,i cleaned out the blades out of the water intake hose. this was the first time the boat was on the water in about 4 yrs it is a 95 prostar 350hp. sorry about the diagnose i'll have to post pics. tommorow.

Andyg
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Here is a picture of the engine.

It sounds like you have a leak from the fitting that attaches the water hose to the exhaust riser. The fittings might not be tight, but don't just tighten them. I would get some silicone pipe sealent first. Then disconnect the rubber hose from the fitting. Remove the fitting from the exhuast riser, I think it is a 3/4 inch wrench. Clean the internal threads on the exhaust riser with a small wire brush. Apply some silicone pipe sealant to the threads on the fitting. Tighten the fitting back into the exhaust riser, careful not to cross thread it as the cast iron exhuast risers have a tendancy to do that. Make sure not to overtighten the fitting and strip the threads.

SPLIFF
12-08-2008, 02:54 PM
the water is leaking where the threaded pipe on each side goes in to the exaust. the threaded pipe is located on the front sides of the engine they are connected to a elbow looking part then the small water intake hose are connected to them.

SPLIFF
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
the water is leaking where the threaded pipe on each side goes in to the exaust. the threaded pipe is located on the front sides of the engine they are connected to a elbow looking part then the small water intake hose are connected to them.
thanks Andyg thats it.

flipper
12-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Here is a picture of the engine.

It sounds like you have a leak from the fitting that attaches the water hose to the exhaust riser. The fittings might not be tight, but don't just tighten them. I would get some silicone pipe sealent first. Then disconnect the rubber hose from the fitting. Remove the fitting from the exhuast riser, I think it is a 3/4 inch wrench. Clean the internal threads on the exhaust riser with a small wire brush. Apply some silicone pipe sealant to the threads on the fitting. Tighten the fitting back into the exhaust riser, careful not to cross thread it as the cast iron exhuast risers have a tendancy to do that. Make sure not to overtighten the fitting and strip the threads.

nice work!!!

Andyg
12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
nice work!!!

Had the same problem on my 97. Of course I cross threaded the fitting when I reinstalled it. I was able to just retap it and everything was fine.