PDA

View Full Version : got the stereo equipment, a few more questions...

Bobby
05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Ok, I have most of the necessary requirements - a cd player, 1000 watt 4 channel amp, 2 6.5'' marine speakers, 2 12'' subs, another battery, and all the wiring essentials. On an 84 S&S, what is a good ground point?

Also, I searched through the dual battery threads and got a little confused about if I can get a battery selector switch at an auto parts store or do I have to order it from someone?

About the dual battery - does anyone have the schematic for the alternator charging both batteries but have the cd player and amp pull off of one? Sorry if I'm being redundant but I just want to know this stuff so I can get busy installing. :banana:

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 07:59 PM
thats alot of stereo for that boat!

Bobby
05-10-2005, 08:11 PM
and the beautiful part is - it was all under $350 and it's all marine grade and brand new.

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 08:13 PM
you know somebody at a stereo shop or did you visit the homeboy shopping network?

BriEOD
05-10-2005, 08:55 PM
On an 84 S&S, what is a good ground point?

What I did was just use the same ground post on my primary battery. As is on yours, it attaches to the block. Hopefully your battery has dual posts. You can see in this photo I have the negative terminal to left attached to the block and the negative post on the right has a 4 gauge wire running to my back-up battery and an 8 gauge wire that runs to my terminal block to power my 2 amps, capacitor, head unit and cigarette lighter.

BriEOD
05-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Also, I searched through the dual battery threads and got a little confused about if I can get a battery selector switch at an auto parts store or do I have to order it from someone?

I don't believe you can get it from an auto parts store. If you have a West Marine or something similar you can get a perko or sea systems switch. However, what are you trying do? The way I have mine set up is that I have a primary battery that everything is hooked to and is attached to the perko switch on setting one. I than have a back-up battery that powers the starter, and other boat accessories but NOT any of my stereo stuff. The only time I would use it is if I run my primary battery down. I would turn the swtich to 2 start the boat and while it's running move the switch back to one to recharge your battery. If you want to charge both batteries simulaneoulsy you can purchase an isolator or a relay (see Diesel's posts). However, it is going to place a tremendous strain on your altenator to power the amps, run the boat and charge both batteries so most likely you'll have to upgrade which is $$$. That's why I do not run mine in series.

BriEOD
05-10-2005, 09:05 PM
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=3094&catalogId=10001&classNum=297&subdeptNum=207&storeNum=9

I have the last one for $29.99

BriEOD
05-10-2005, 09:11 PM
About the dual battery - does anyone have the schematic for the alternator charging both batteries but have the cd player and amp pull off of one? Sorry if I'm being redundant but I just want to know this stuff so I can get busy installing. :banana:

Do a search for threads Diesel has done on here. He has his set-up that way. However, his beefed up altenator is not marinized and does not meet USCG specs. It's a safety issue, but his call.

Bobby
05-10-2005, 09:20 PM
well it sounds like i need to duplicate your setup for what im going for.

BriEOD
05-10-2005, 09:28 PM
I bought the perko switch at West Marine and the back-up battery and ten post terminal block. The battery box and battery cables I got from Wal-Mart (way cheaper than West Marine and a plastic box is a plastic box). I got a box of connectors (y-type not closed ring) at home depot along with the liquid spray silicon (prevents rust). I used all 8 gauge wires and street wires speaker wire that I got from Crutchfield. Make sure you get a few connectors big enough to fit your battery. Lastly, get a good in-line minmum 30 amp fuse to protect all your stuff.

BriEOD
05-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Also, take a look at OhioProStars picture gallery he has some nice photos of his setup. Take your time, do it right and neatly.

BriEOD
05-10-2005, 09:39 PM
did you visit the homeboy shopping network?

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :purplaugh

To funny Rod!!

Bobby
05-10-2005, 10:14 PM
my grandparents own a music store in Norman so I have the ability to get some sweet stuff for next to nothing.

Bobby
05-10-2005, 10:24 PM
should i get the first or third one? (http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online_superstore/electrical/blue_seas_battery_switches.htm?L+scstore+jpgt8160f f62c762+1104236559) and what is the difference between those and the one you have?

RackAtak
05-10-2005, 10:33 PM
here's my setup...http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1126&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500
Grounded to primary battery.

BriEOD
05-11-2005, 06:09 AM
I would go with the first one Bobby.

Bobby
05-11-2005, 10:56 AM
hopefully this is the last question - what is the difference between the $23.95 one and the $24.95 one?

BrianM
05-11-2005, 11:31 AM
my grandparents own a music store in Norman so I have the ability to get some sweet stuff for next to nothing.

Can you hook a brother up? :D

I have been looking into doing a stereo on a budget. I think I am just going to go with a head unit and four 6" speakers for now.

Tom023
05-11-2005, 11:48 AM
I would turn the swtich to 2 start the boat and while it's running move the switch back to one to recharge your battery.

Brian, be careful switching a battery switch with the engine running, it's a quick way to fry your alternator, especially if you happen to turn the battery switch to OFF. They do make swithes designed to prevent it.

Bobby
05-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Brian, be careful switching a battery switch with the engine running, it's a quick way to fry your alternator, especially if you happen to turn the battery switch to OFF. They do make swithes designed to prevent it.

where would one get said switch

Tom023
05-11-2005, 01:20 PM
I got curious about the differences in switches, which in your link the Blue Sea Systems calls them "with AFD," Alternator Field Disconnect. Looking on their site, there are requirements for their use (e.g., alternator cannot have an internal voltage regulator). This is what their instructions say:

"Optional Alternator Field Disconnect (AFD)

PN 9002e, PN 9004e, PN 3001, and PN 3003 switches are equipped with an Alternator Field Disconnect
(AFD) switch to protect the alternator in the event that the switch is turned off while the engine is running and the alternator is producing power. Determine that the voltage regulator is not built into the alternator. The AFD cannot be used with alternators having internal voltage regulators.

OhioProstar
05-11-2005, 02:31 PM
I bought the AFD version and as it turned out I did not need it. I think you use the AFD version if there is a external excitor wire running to a voltage regulator (normally older boats).

Some people mount their setups on the floor near the battery, I preferred to mount mine on a amp board screwed into the right hand storage divider. I guess there could be an issue mounting the unit sideways...but after a lot of use last summer, we had no problems. Plus it keeps the unit from being dripped on by gear and banged against by ski fins.

phecksel
05-12-2005, 11:46 AM

I have been looking into doing a stereo on a budget. I think I am just going to go with a head unit and four 6" speakers for now.

Did I hear someone say amplifier group buy?

Bobby
05-12-2005, 02:26 PM

:purplaugh ......no. :D

BriEOD
05-12-2005, 03:41 PM
You have it in yet or what?

Bobby
05-12-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm now waiting for the switch to get here and I'm going to make some boxes for the speakers. I'll have it in next week and I'll be sure to put up some pics.

jayocheskey
05-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Can't wait to have my stereo set up completely. Just got the tower speakers. Two Pioneer 6.75" -- what is the best amp? I plan on also adding a sub in the next few months.