PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarding for 101 Idiots

MattsCraft
12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
OK ? for all you snowboarders- My son is also into Snowboarding also, he is 18, 6' tall and weighs about 150lbs soaking wet. I want to get him a new snowboard for xmas. I would guess he is intermediate in skill level, can do amazing things on skates (ice, roller and aggressive), skis, skateboards an intermediate wakeboarding.

My ? is this, there are a million + boards and set ups etc, what is a decent board, size etc for him. He has boots, bindings and a board. Are, the bindings and boots universal? Will his existing bindeing and boot set up work with any board?

Any suggestions from you die hards would greatly be appreciated, size, types, manuf. places for deals. (Don't want to burn a whole in dad's credit card)

Many Thanks,

flipper
12-05-2008, 12:33 PM
If possible, I'd have him try a few before buying one. Just like a ski, every one is different.

WESSTAR
12-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Boots and bindings are universal ish. Burton bindings have to have the right center plate to fit non burton boards. The problem with buying someone a snowboard is that it really depends on their riding style. Mostly powder, mostly groomers, mostly park. I am 5'10 200+ and ride a Forum 157 and I ride it for everything.

Justjoe
12-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I agree with Wes that the riding style makes all the difference. I'm 6'2" and 180. Ride a 157 Burton Custom, and a 160ish K2 board. I don't know, maybe its just me but I feel like board choices are alot like boat choices (but cheaper). Find the right tool for the job first. Mfg is same as boats (or any other toy for that matter) for me. I thought the K2 was the right board for the job when I bought it, but I'm a long time Burton fan. Find myself riding the "Old" Burton board more often than the "New" K2. Kind of like being a MC fan, but buying the Centurion to surf behind (but never really loving it). Isn't it crazy what branding does to you?

denverd1
12-05-2008, 03:15 PM
His current setup may give you an idea of his riding style. and obviously, size. See if you figure out what he has now and match just get something close. Of course, receipts so he can exchange in case you pick out the wrong one.

BTW what a cool gift!

Covi
12-06-2008, 09:37 AM
At his age, height, and weight he will probably be going through boards every other year. I agree on ride style. Also I'm a firm believer on "you get what you pay for" as you are. After all you own a MasterCraft. Back to the question I've been riding for over 25 years, I currently ride a Rossignol Crawtona and love it. My ride style is very versatile I ride the whole mountain. Mainly off piste.

Boards manufactures I would highly recommend

Rome
Lib tech
Burton
Volkl
Rossignol

sand2snow22
12-06-2008, 12:51 PM
ditto what covi said, and the boards he recommended. I ride a Neversummer, hand made in Colorado, not made overseas by a machine. They have a rubber vibration system in the board that make them silky smooth to ride. Not sure what kind of riding your son does, but I'm guessing he's into the park, pipe, and all mountain, so I would recommend the new Neversummer Legacy. Our family friends own www.daddiesboardshop.com check them out, good online retailer.

ProTour X9
12-06-2008, 01:04 PM
My sister just got a new Burton board/bindings yesterday. Looks like a quality board.

bcampbe7
12-06-2008, 02:36 PM
ditto what covi said, and the boards he recommended. I ride a Neversummer, hand made in Colorado, not made overseas by a machine. They have a rubber vibration system in the board that make them silky smooth to ride. Not sure what kind of riding your son does, but I'm guessing he's into the park, pipe, and all mountain, so I would recommend the new Neversummer Legacy. Our family friends own www.daddiesboardshop.com check them out, good online retailer.

I have a Neversummer Legacy and love it! It is a bit heavier but it rides like a Cadillac through any type of snow. It is a very fast board as well.

sand2snow22
12-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I have a Neversummer Legacy and love it! It is a bit heavier but it rides like a Cadillac through any type of snow. It is a very fast board as well.

Do you have this years? This years construction seems lighter. Plus, unique sidewall radius and camber. Neversummers are fast, I can always beat boarders and skiers on flat sections!

vision
12-06-2008, 04:25 PM
As stated, you need to know what kind of riding. There are several general purpose "all mountain" boards that work for many situations. While board length is mostly based on rider weight and riding style, you will need to take into account his shoe size. If he is wearing 11s or up, you may need a wide board.

Never Summer boards are good. But as stated, they are heavier than most, even the 08/09s.

Having a son the same age and thinking about what 99% of snowboarders his age do on the slopes, I would go with a Rome Agent 154/56 or Burton Custom 155/56. There are still a few of last years boards out there for about half price. Try Boardersmall, REI-Outlet, Board Paradise, TruSnow, and others for sales.

sand2snow22
12-06-2008, 05:18 PM
All boards are heavier with snow on them! It's hard not to have snow pile up on them on your way down the hill! ;)

bcampbe7
12-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Do you have this years? This years construction seems lighter. Plus, unique sidewall radius and camber. Neversummers are fast, I can always beat boarders and skiers on flat sections!

No, mine is a 2004 (I think) Model.

It is also the wide Legacy, what can I say, I gots big feet. :D

They are fast but they hold an edge so well that you always feel in control. I demoed every board I could find while in Breckenridge and the Neversummer was by far the best riding board, IMHO. Having said that I am not a big air rider. I will cruise down the hill at break-neck speeds but try to keep the board on the snow as much as possible. Getting too old for that kinda stuff! :D

MattsCraft
12-07-2008, 11:22 AM

OK - So thanks for all the input, I new I would get good responses here!!!:D After looking around a bit, I guess I should be a little more specific. We are in Southern Ohio, so no big mountains and mostly blown snow with lot's of ice.:( Not what I would call great ski/board conditions. My price range is not more than about $300.00 and no Half pipe here, so free ride??? What do you think about these two sale boards? I know the never summer says great for the pipe and park, but hey, if it works good there, should be a good free ride also?? Is 151 too short for a 6' 150lb rider?

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/clearanceitems.aspx

Many Thanks again for great input:D

sand2snow22
12-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I think the 151 is too short for 6'0". That Neversummer is basically the board I'm riding now and I don't ride in the pipe much. I think the Pandora is a board for females. I'm going to send you a private message.