PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surfers

Witness140
12-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm looking at surf boards. We are new to surfing and just ordered an X2. I already have a 540lb sac and 2 350's. That should be enough to get the wake working for us.

Any advice on a good board? Seems that the Inland Blue Lake gets a lot of good reviews here. I've found one - but it is a 2006 board. Any big changes between 06' and 08' that would justify spending more money?

ttu
12-05-2008, 09:18 AM
i still use a 06 blue lake. the "main" changes are the 08/09 boards have a quad fine setup.

it's a great board.

bturner2
12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I'll second the Blue Lake. We also tried the Yellow Lugie this year which was great for a second board or if you're into tricks or skim style. I'm over 200lbs and it was small for me. Need a big wake if you're over 180lbs IMO.

CottagerGreg
12-05-2008, 11:04 AM
They have some really nice new skim boards... check out their website.. some really nice stuff!

ChicagoX55
12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
I guess it really depends on what type of riding you want to do and how big or little you are. If you are not going to start riding till spring and can wait to buy a board I would check out this website www.boardersbestbuy.com. They sell one item at a time usually a new one every few days (depending on how fast it sells out) and have amazing, really amazing deals. I have seen a few IS boards on there for almost 50% cheaper than retail. Submit your email address and they will email you when new items come up.

Ole Miss Rebels
12-05-2008, 11:32 AM
also try www.wakeoutlaws.com. they have really good deals on surfboards and they are primarily wake-surfers so they know how to advise you. look up their phone number on their website and give them a call before you go any further. they will want to know what boat you have and they will tell you how to set it up and then give you some advice on surfboards.

Eagle Lake Rebel
12-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Don't know what kind of deal you are getting, but I know someone that is closing up his proshop for good that has/had a bunch of Island Surfer boards that he wants to be rid of. Send me a PM and I'll give you the contact info. If your dealer sells a board you want I'd put the squeeze on him to give you a board as part of the X2 deal. Blue Lake and Yellow/Green Lugie are both fun boards. The Blue Lake is a bit more stable while the Lugie is the more agressive board IMO.

Roonie's
12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
+1 for both BBB and wakeoutlaws. I bought my blue lake at wakeoutlaws as they had the best deal at the time. I have seen in the past two weeks at BBB a blue lake and a black opal on there. I posted about it here when I saw them but got minimal responses.

Shred Stixx makes a good board too and will probably be my next board.

Witness140
12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys. I'll watch BBB and check out wakeoutlaws today. This is going to be a long painful winter.

I'm 165-170. My buddy that will also use it is 185-195. We'd like the wives to try it too. They are both around 120. We want a board that we can learn on, but won't require replacement mid-season because we've outgrown it already.

So how hard is surfing anyways?

Justjoe
12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
My wife and I have been riding a green lugey and it is a great board, but not what I would learn on. I started with a Hyperlite (I'm 180, my wife is 125) and it worked really well to learn on for both of us. Moved to the Lugey now that I know what I'm doing, and am still keeping the Hyperlite around for when people want to "try". This board is easy to learn to get up on, and allows you to learn the basics without alot of drama. Still challenging, still fun. The green lugey is a much faster board, harder to get up on, and less stable.

Spend a little less, and get a real stable board like a CWB or Hyperlite to get your head together with. Once you get that down, you can move to a faster board. No sense in getting beat up and frustrated more than you have to when your starting.

Witness140
12-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Is the Blue Lake too fast to learn on? How does the CWB Razr stack up?

ttu
12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
i think the blue lake is the easiest to learn on.

the first board i bought was a cwb tsunami and could not free ride at all. then bought the blue lake and was able to free ride the 1st time. by learning the basics i was able to rock the tsunami but still prefer to the blue lake.

i also have a yellow loogey but it is much harder to ride.

Ole Miss Rebels
12-05-2008, 01:37 PM
i own a blue lake, a walker, and a hyperlite landlock. i have also ridden a couple of cwb's. the blue lake is far and away the better of the three boards for beginners OR experienced surfers. i wouldn't waste any money on a beginner board. you will have outgrown it in a matter of days-weeks at most. i am not a good surfer but i am good enough to ride either the blue lake or the yellow loogie. i actually prefer the yellow loogie even though it is not as stable or as predictable as the blue lake. they are both easy to ride once you learn how and that doesn't take long at all. good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Justjoe
12-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey, what walker board are you riding?? Looking at getting (at least) one for the spring. How does it compare to the yellow L?