PDA

View Full Version : Barefooting behind an X-2

Witness140
12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I have a friend that is an incredibly talented barefooter. Been a ski buddy of mine for many years. Up until now, we've both owned tournament direct drives. He has a an 06' Response LX, I had a 197. He only has a Bu' cuz the LX has a decent footing wake. He was impressed though with the 197, and really liked having the mini-tower. He uses a skylon in the Bu'. He was always baffled by why I would want a mini-tower vs the real thing. I only did it cuz I thought it looked better aesthetically in 07' than the full. Anyways....

I just traded the 197 for a brand new X2. He's asking how it is for footing. I'm not a barefooter. I didn't bring it up to 39mph where he foots either. I'm wondering from all of you X2 owners - how is the footin wake? I ordered the attitude plate with the MCX.

Also - what is WOT rpm and speed on the late model X2's?

Thanks!

SteveO
12-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I am not a footer, but I have a few friends that foot behind mine with the wake plate and are very happy with the wake. Not sure what my wot is, guessing high 30's with the ~14x14 prop. Never really looked at the tach, so can't help you there. While it will not be the same as the 197, it is probably as good as you can get for a Vdrive (excluding the new x14V) that throws a damn good wakeboard wake when weighted

Witness140
12-03-2008, 08:23 PM
What line length do they prefer on yours?

Jerseydave
12-03-2008, 09:02 PM
I have the MCX in my '05 X-star and it hits the rev limiter at about 39 mph. (14.25 X 14.5 prop) Depending on your prop, I would think you can exceed 40 mph since your hull is lighter with less wetted surface area. If you're past the break-in period then you should be okay to hold WOT, just don't hold it if it's bouncing off the rev limiter, pull it back a notch. The stock prop may work best for your barefoot runs (13.7 X 17 maybe?)

You may want to play around with the trim plate while running fast. I would bet trimming down a bit will help flatten out the wake some. Good luck, happy footin"! :)

tex
12-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I have a friend that is an incredibly talented barefooter. Been a ski buddy of mine for many years. Up until now, we've both owned tournament direct drives. He has a an 06' Response LX, I had a 197. He only has a Bu' cuz the LX has a decent footing wake. He was impressed though with the 197, and really liked having the mini-tower. He uses a skylon in the Bu'. He was always baffled by why I would want a mini-tower vs the real thing. I only did it cuz I thought it looked better aesthetically in 07' than the full. Anyways....

I just traded the 197 for a brand new X2. He's asking how it is for footing. I'm not a barefooter. I didn't bring it up to 39mph where he foots either. I'm wondering from all of you X2 owners - how is the footin wake? I ordered the attitude plate with the MCX.

Also - what is WOT rpm and speed on the late model X2's?

Thanks!

I have a 197 and hate the wake...I can foot through white caps and have trouble crossing the wakes at any distance under 500 feet! I have the preditor and need speed even on the boom! I hope this doesn't get me banned!

Witness140
12-04-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm pretty sure he was between 90 and 95 feet back on the 197. Usually he's wake crossing backwards on one foot, rapidly. I can't comprehend most of the stuff he can do. The slalom wake reminded me of an old American skier or Barefoot Skier from years ago. That was with the plate all the way down at 34mph. Had that flat foamy table to it. Thats what made him curious how the footing wake is.

Waterski-Marcoisland
12-04-2008, 02:03 AM
I barefoot forwards and backwards behind my X2. Rope 100 feet 38 mph....

BriEOD
12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
I have a 197 and hate the wake...I can foot through white caps and have trouble crossing the wakes at any distance under 500 feet! I have the preditor and need speed even on the boom! I hope this doesn't get me banned!

Oh you're gone buddy!!!!!!

corey
12-04-2008, 11:54 AM
I can't foot to save my life but my buddy Dan does quite a bit of it, you can definitally foot behind the X-2 and the plate should help knock the wake down. The newer props might limit the top speed but I think you should be able to hit 39-40 with an MCX, the older 14x18 props had a little more top end than the new 14.25x14.5 but I prolly wouldnt switch it out cause its a stump puller.

No Skeez
12-04-2008, 01:24 PM
but I prolly wouldnt switch it out cause its a stump puller.

Unless you swap it for an Acme, which will give you more top speed, plus out of the hole power, plus a cleaner table...

Just my :twocents:

corey
12-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah but you also told me Old Milwakee was the best beer ever so you've really lost some credibility.

No Skeez
12-04-2008, 03:46 PM
That's where you're wrong Corey. You must have misheard me. I said Schlitz, not Old Milwaukee! The classic 60's formula you know and love! Check it out: http://www.schlitzgusto.com/home.asp

JohnnyB
12-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Unless you swap it for an Acme, which will give you more top speed, plus out of the hole power, plus a cleaner table...

Just my :twocents:

I'm in agreement here.....I put an ACME on my 197 with the Predator engine and found a signaficant change in the table while getting a bit more top end and not robbing hole shot.

1boarder
12-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I barefoot forwards and backwards behind my X2. Rope 100 feet 38 mph....

my x2 won't go 38 mph backwards. :)

Witness140
12-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Which acme works best on the X2? Anyone been experimenting? I'm not trying to make an X-2 into a barefoot boat by any means, don't get me wrong. Just curious if there is an ACME prop that is known to work just as well for the boarding surfing, while maybe working a bit better for slalom skiing and the once in a blue moon footing run.

shepherd
12-05-2008, 03:46 PM
my x2 won't go 38 mph backwards. :)

Sounds like you need a new prop!

Chicago190
12-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Which acme works best on the X2? Anyone been experimenting? I'm not trying to make an X-2 into a barefoot boat by any means, don't get me wrong. Just curious if there is an ACME prop that is known to work just as well for the boarding surfing, while maybe working a bit better for slalom skiing and the once in a blue moon footing run.

Call them up and they should be able to help. I believe both Acme and OJ will let you test out props until you find the one that best suits your needs.