PDA

View Full Version : Organizing boat - show what you got

kgrove
12-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm looking for good ideas on organizing all the junk in that I need on the boat to make boating easier. Looking at other people's boats, I see most (mine being one) that have just open storage compartments with all the ropes, bouys, gloves, etc thrown in, inevitably resulting in chaos. Once in awhile, I see somebody who rigged up some organizational system in their boat that is really impressive... no loose and tangled ropes and everything has a logical place. Since I'm deeply jealous and not creative enough to come up with this on my own, show me what you have... anything from storage compartments that looks like its out of "classy closets" to just a good simple rope holder or anchor storage.

Hopefully I'm not the only messy, disorganized soul that could benefit from some good examples...

TMCNo1
12-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Over the years, most/a lot of people get cheap or free promotional nylon/mesh travel/gym bags of different sizes and colors that work great for storage. One for dry watersports ropes, one for anchor/chain and rope, one for tie up/docking ropes, one for first aid kit/small toolbox, misc. stuff, one for extra towels/sunscreen/sunglasses, one for wetsuits/gloves/gear and the list goes on and on.
One for mandatory extra life preservers/throw-able cushion, Overton's, $9.99,

Sodar
12-03-2008, 12:11 PM
For my ropes, I use this soft cooler from Target for $20. It matches my interior and lets me store my ropes in the unused area, behind the drivers seat. Ropes go inside, first aid kit and snorkel are in the front pouch.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=28666&stc=1&d=1193288911

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=28667&stc=1&d=1193288950
Life jackets go in a bag just like Harold showed.

Fenders go under the observers seat along with the docklines. I use the life jacket bag and throw cushion PFD to support them so they do not roll around.

dapicatti
12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
We are not that organized, all we do is use the "dry side" for towels, food etc and the "wet side" for the ropes, vests, helmets, wetsuits and anything that winds up in the water. If we ever added extra ballast to our boat and lost the rear storage compartments we would have a serious mess.

loeweb
12-04-2008, 10:30 AM
I try to keep everyone's stuff out of the boat that isn't skiing or riding. We usually try to keep like sets together (everyone barefoots at once, skis, etc) that way there is only one rope that is on the floor or in the water at once. No more than 3 skis along the side of the boat. Misc. stuff is kept in a tackle box thingy. The biggest thing in our boat is just minimizing the amount of stuff (crap) that you think you need.

MorganMac
12-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Recently went to tupperware containers for the smaller items; ties, binoculars, garbage bags....
Various sizes for items.
http://order.tupperware.com:8080/coe-images/thumbnails/p10055952000_sm.gif

Still looking for the great rope solution. Obviously all ropes are wound and secured with a velcro strap.

wakeX2wake
12-04-2008, 02:06 PM
We are not that organized, all we do is use the "dry side" for towels, food etc and the "wet side" for the ropes, vests, helmets, wetsuits and anything that winds up in the water. If we ever added extra ballast to our boat and lost the rear storage compartments we would have a serious mess.

that's what i'm about to have to try to figure out... i as well use a wet and dry side... next yr both sides will be full of ballast so i have no idea... i usually like to keep a bunch of extra jackets stowed under seats but i guess those will have to go... my thinking currently is that i can put all the gear in the compartment and get it all out once i start filling ballast... what to do w/ it?... we usually hang a shoulder of wet life jackets on the pylon and let them dry on the deck some while someone else is riding... and for the return trip home i guess we'll just throw the wetness in the bed of the truck as usual... if my rope and handle aren't on the tower then its lying in the floor of the boat... end of story...

all of this is developed as i'm on the water 5 days a week 8 months out of the yr

BIGBADBLUE
12-04-2008, 02:09 PM
This is why we bought a houseboat ... to store all the crap. Works real well!!!

Jim@BAWS
12-04-2008, 02:32 PM
We lay it all out on a dock !!!

Jim@BAWS

Harvey
12-04-2008, 04:16 PM
I have board racks for boards, I have a V-drive so my life jackets go in the rear compartments on top of the ballast bags. When wet they go on the tow pole over the deck to dry in the sun and wind. If it is a long trip back to the ramp/dock I will attach them to the tower to dry on the ride back. The rope goes on the tower. I usually keep it rolled up and then looped on the tow point. If not it gets stowed under the seat on the port side of the boat next to the surf rope. I have the same life jacket storage that Harold has for my manditory life preservers. I also have a heavy nylon mesh bag that I keep spare wakeboard accessories like fins, hold down bolts, etc.

I use a storage bin with an attached lid like THIS (http://www.simplastics.com/items.asp?subcat=21) but clear plastic to store my boat cleaning products and boat cleaning towels. It usually stays in the back of the truck until we pull out for the day.

As far as binding lube, I like to use the ketchup bottles that store upright like THIS (http://www.zeer.com/images/products/0147429675_180.jpg). They don't leak and they work really well holding soap and water mixture.

I would say that if you plan to winterize and put up for the winter get a big cheap tote from Target, Walmart, etc. so that you can put all your gear in it at the end of the season. I put all my dock lines, bumpers, spare ropes, extra ballast bags, wakeboarding gear, throw cushion, etc. in one. I tend to wakeboard at least once a month through the winter but I don't need all the extra gear so I put it up at the end of the year.

snakeoil
12-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I have no pics of the stuff, but we use the yellow dry bags from west marine. anchor and docking in one, then ski/wake handles and ropes in another. Lead shot in front and rear in 3 more. I have the orange dry hard toolbox under the glove box with impellers, tools, flashlight and all that crap.

Not that hard to get the stuff all stored away, at least not with the ample storage in an X-30.

atlfootr
12-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I have no pics of the stuff.Your now expected to take some, for the rest of us to see because ....

dapicatti
12-04-2008, 11:01 PM
We usually hang our ropes off the tower after a run, so that's not a problem its all the extra lifevests etc. OK and the 10 towels my wife insists on bringing and 28 types of sunscreen and food for an Army. We usually put in and then spend the day on the boat, so we can't unload anywhere or leave anything to dry. And of course you have to have beverages to stay hydrated.....There is a ton of storage in our boat, but when you have alot of room you bring alot of people and all their stuff.