PDA

View Full Version : Winter Projects 1,2 and 3 X2

Loffgren
12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Ok so changed JL speaker grills, added wire loom to tower wiring both sides and cut a 6.25 inch hole under the passenger seat to allow better air flow for the sub woofer and lessen the rattles. I ordered a component JL my plan is to cut off the back of the speaker and mount with new grill. It will look like there is a speaker there, less the cone magnet and bracing..any ways heres some pics

JohnE
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Nice receptacle you got that door operator plugged into. :D

Loffgren
12-02-2008, 09:25 PM
And guess what my occupation is???? Electrician LOL i will get that fixed up....

JohnE
12-02-2008, 09:32 PM
And guess what my occupation is???? Electrician LOL i will get that fixed up....

Me too, hence the big grin.....:D

snakeoil
12-02-2008, 09:37 PM

All my plugs look like that is something wrong????

JohnE
12-02-2008, 09:42 PM
All my plugs look like that is something wrong????

The plug looks perfectly fine....that's on the end of the rubber cord.

shepherd
12-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Freakin' electricians....

TMCNo1
12-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Freakin' electricians....

Looks like JohnE may have a new avatar!

JohnE
12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Looks like JohnE may have a new avatar!

Not me......Loffgren can have it. I'll keep Durama.

Witness140
12-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Can you expand on the reasons you are moving the sub under the observer seat? I'm not familiar with the airflow/rattles issue. Is that a before/after picture of the tower wiring? What is wire loom? I'm only asking because I just bought an 09' X2 that doesn't even have an assigned 'born-on' date.

JohnE
12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Wire loom is just a corrugated plastic that protects the wiring. It is typically on most or all of the harnesses in a boat or car or truck. Putting it on the wires in where the tower hinges will keep the wires from getting pinched when raising the tower.

I got nothing regarding the sub vibration.

TMCNo1
12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Can you expand on the reasons you are moving the sub under the observer seat? I'm not familiar with the airflow/rattles issue. Is that a before/after picture of the tower wiring? What is wire loom? I'm only asking because I just bought an 09' X2 that doesn't even have an assigned 'born-on' date.
An example, http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/colorloom.php, Google "plastic wire loom". Most every auto parts and parts chain store has it or can order it.

Witness140
12-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Ok. I was a bit let down with my 07' 197 to see the wiring exposed at tower hinge had 10 wraps of electrical tape on it......

My boat isn't even born yet and I'm thinking about projects. Think I can just stay in a Knoxville hotel and spend the week there - adding wire loom and the nice lil' goodies that would make it perfect? I'm sure they would love me on the line. j/k

Loffgren
12-02-2008, 11:38 PM
so as far as the sub goes i have the factory 10 behind the seat and a JL12W7 with 1000 watts going to it in the passanger storage area, the boat is so seal up like a "trunk" i needed to vent the area to allow for better sound quality. And with somewhere for all of the airflow to escape, it does not rattle the heck of every thing, i think i paid 4 bucks for the wire loom. In my opinion it should have come like that from the factory, but thats just me. Love the boat

Loffgren
12-03-2008, 11:07 AM
The finished port hole will look pretty close to these..

SaltwaterMC
12-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Is the grill you have over the hole a 10" grill? It looks bigger to me than the cockpit speaker woofers for some reason. Are you only mounting the grill or the whole speaker and then cutting off the back? I think it would look more finished if you had the ring around the grill that usually houses the woofer.

Loffgren
12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
The hole is the same size as cockpit speakers, I am mounting the hole speaker when i cut off the back , so it will look better. Just do not have it yet, hence the tape :)

SaltwaterMC
12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Got it. Are you leaving the cone of the speaker attached and cutting everything else off?

ORX-1
12-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Are the wire looms cut down the side, since my wires are already ran I would have to cut the side and then maybe zip tie it to hold it in place. Does that sound correct?

Loffgren
12-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Cutting off the cone to, i need to let as much air out as possible

The wire loom is cut to about one foot, i figured that was the only pinch point. My X1 had a nicer cable with all of the wires in it, but as you can see the X2 had multiple conductors..

russlars
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
It always amazes me at what stray things photos pick up sometimes. I guess that does show where our real priorities are--the boat of course!:D I can personally speak to this since I have an outlet that looks a lot like that in my garage also.

TMCNo1
12-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Are the wire looms cut down the side, since my wires are already ran I would have to cut the side and then maybe zip tie it to hold it in place. Does that sound correct?

Yes, as you can see in this picture,

Here is a video on how it's applied, http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored-loom.html#video

Wire Loom Tubing

Corrugated slit-loom is the industry standard method of protecting bundles of wire. The slit loom naturally springs closed, providing full protection for your wire runs. Available in different sizes, colors, and temperature ratings. Black wire loom (http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d229.html) is the overwhelming standard for protection of wires. Where the loom will be exposed to higher temperatures, such as in an automobile, use High Temperature wire loom (http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d228.html). For dressing up your electrical runs, try one of our colored wire loom (http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d227.html), including a new "chrome" nylon split loom - giving your wiring a very custom and quality look.

SaltwaterMC
12-03-2008, 12:46 PM
That's a good idea. You could have also gone with heater vents and maintained a stock look, but your idea looks cooler.