PDA

View Full Version : Replacing impellers on x-1 ballast tanks

El Jeffe
12-02-2008, 09:51 PM
My ballast tanks stopped filling just recently. I called the local dealer here in Seattle and they suggested that I probably need to replace the impellers.

Anyone done this? Is it normal for them to wear out this quickly (2006 model year with less than 100 hours on it) We rarely use the ballast system ostly skiing and tubing on it this summer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

vision
12-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Older black impellers will definitely wear out in 100 hours. Especially if they run dry. The newer yellow impellers ( I think they switched in either 06 or 07) will last much longer.

El Jeffe
12-03-2008, 01:51 PM
OK...Thanks.

So I am a complete novice with engines etc...

Willing to give it a try.

Can anyone direct me to a place where I can gain a better understanding of how to replace the impellers...Starting with where the heck the pumps are.

The boat is a 2006 x-1

prostar205
12-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure where your ballast pumps are located on the X1 but on my X-30 all three pumps are located in the transom area directly behind the engine. They are really easy to replace if you can get to the pumps. Just remove the top three brass machine screws and take the cover off. The impellers are directly below the cover. Make sure to not tighten the brass screws too tight in fear of breaking the head off - remember, brass is a fairly soft material. I have found that the number of hours on the boat does not give you an accurate estimate of when the impellers should or should not fail. The less time you use the system, the more time the impeller material will have time to fuse itself to the inside of the pump cavity. So when you do use the pumps, they have a tendency to rip the viens of the impeller becuase there is no lubrication between the impeller and the brass housing. The yellow impellers are alot more soft (lower durometer material) so they don't get stuck as often and change direction easier. However, I have found that they don't move as much material (water) and therefore it may take longer to fill the ballast.

flipper
12-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Older black impellers will definitely wear out in 100 hours. Especially if they run dry. The newer yellow impellers ( I think they switched in either 06 or 07) will last much longer.

Isn't there another one out now? Green or something that lasts longer than the yellow? I thought I saw that on here somewhere

vision
12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
In the 05 X2 (same boat as the 06 X1) the rear tank pumps were along the transom (behind the plastic covers) and the center ballast pump was under the rear seat.

Roonie's
12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
This is on my 07 X2 but probably similar layout and I include pics........

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24880

El Jeffe
12-03-2008, 03:14 PM
This is on my 07 X2 but probably similar layout and I include pics........

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24880

Roonie,

ROCK ON...Many thanks for pointing me to the right post.

This is exactly what i needed...

This will save me a lot of time and money...Will not have to pull the trailer out of storage...and pull the boat out of the water to take it to the dealer.

BTW...Have you had an opportunity to use the "New Mastercraft Dealer" in Issaquah?

prostar205
12-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Roonie,

BTW...Have you had an opportunity to use the "New Mastercraft Dealer" in Issaquah?

I have not used them for service issues (knock on wood but my boat hasn't had anything wrong with it for several years). However, when Copes closed down, the head service guy, Kurt, came to the new MC dealer in Issaquah. He is top notch!!!!!

El Jeffe
12-03-2008, 03:32 PM
I have not used them for service issues (knock on wood but my boat hasn't had anything wrong with it for several years). However, when Copes closed down, the head service guy, Kurt, came to the new MC dealer in Issaquah. He is top notch!!!!!

Excellent...Always had god luck with Him. Darren from Cope is running the place I think..He was alwaysa good guy when I had to deal with him.

Roonie's
12-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Roonie,

ROCK ON...Many thanks for pointing me to the right post.

This is exactly what i needed...

This will save me a lot of time and money...Will not have to pull the trailer out of storage...and pull the boat out of the water to take it to the dealer.

I stopped by there a couple of weeks ago. They are in process of moving to the new building right off 90 next to Chevy dealership. You can see all the MC's in the lot and big MC banner hanging there. Have not had to use them yet as service.

prostar205
12-03-2008, 08:35 PM
I stopped by there a couple of weeks ago. They are in process of moving to the new building right off 90 next to Chevy dealership. You can see all the MC's in the lot and big MC banner hanging there. Have not had to use them yet as service.

I was there this afternoon picking up some new stickers. Always nice to visit with Darren.