PDA

View Full Version : Warranty

scott023
11-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Hoping to get a little advice from the group... I am pretty green to the forum, as well as the boating world. I just signed off on a 2008 X45 and am wondering if it is a good idea to purchase extended warranty. This is something I have always done with vehicles, but this is my family's first boat and I am not sure if it is worth the cost, especially with a MasterCraft.
Also wanted to back up others sentiments about the Fan Fare Tour. I am from Alberta, Canada and my dealer flew me down to Knoxville in October for it. It could not have been more educational, the staff's passion for the company and for boating was unbelieveable. This was the final push that I needed, as I was looking at a different manufacturer before I went. We are looking forward to being part of the MasterCraft family, it seems to be a tightly knit one...

coz
11-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Hoping to get a little advice from the group... I am pretty green to the forum, as well as the boating world. I just signed off on a 2008 X45 and am wondering if it is a good idea to purchase extended warranty. This is something I have always done with vehicles, but this is my family's first boat and I am not sure if it is worth the cost, especially with a MasterCraft.
Also wanted to back up others sentiments about the Fan Fare Tour. I am from Alberta, Canada and my dealer flew me down to Knoxville in October for it. It could not have been more educational, the staff's passion for the company and for boating was unbelieveable. This was the final push that I needed, as I was looking at a different manufacturer before I went. We are looking forward to being part of the MasterCraft family, it seems to be a tightly knit one...

Beautiful! congrats on the new boat and you couldn't have picked a better boat as your first :toast:

Extended warranty= You may not need it but if you do it'll be alot cheaper in the end so it's a http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/faces/faces_140.gif

Welcome aboard, enjoy the new ride and be sure and post lotsa pics :D

TMCNo1
11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Welcome aboard Team Talk and enjoy the new beautiful boat!

TallRedRider
11-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Nice looking boat. Good times are in store for sure.

I am very close to purchasing a 2006, and have been offered the extended warranty as well, so I am in the same boat.8p8p8p

I have looked at a lot of used boats, and I know that the extended warranty, if transferrable, would attract me. It might not bring much of a higher price, but I think in a poor economy, it would make that boat much more likely to sell. So I am not sure it helps the original owner, but if you think you will sell in a few years to upgrade, it would seem to be worthwhile.

Covi
11-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Considering the cost you paid for the new boat, I would guess that a few extra thousand dollars shouldn't make a difference. Will it keep you from putting fuel in it? What are you worried about? The money or the boat.

scott023
11-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Not worried about either... I guess that's this issue. from all of the research I have done, it does not seem to me that we will need the extended warranty. I jsut wanted to know if any fo you veterans have purchased it, and if so, did you use it enough to justify getting it? Or was all warranty work done primarily in the first year?

Covi
11-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Our family has owned 3 MC. 2 new one used. I can say that (knock on wood / fiberglass because it's a MC) We have never had any warranty work done on either of the new boats. it's a first class product. But, like you say if your not worried about it buy it, I'd buy it. Sounds like it might provide any peice of mind you may have. Good luck, and by the way NICE boat. Enjoy every bit of it as it will bring many smiles to you and your family's face. Way better than paying for therapy!!!!

Not worried about either... I guess that's this issue. from all of the research I have done, it does not seem to me that we will need the extended warranty. I jsut wanted to know if any fo you veterans have purchased it, and if so, did you use it enough to justify getting it? Or was all warranty work done primarily in the first year?

Jim@BAWS
11-29-2008, 05:13 PM

The EXTENDED Warranty can be purchased within the first year of ownership...or when the
WARRANTY was started.

Just food for thought

Jim@BAWS

JohnE
11-29-2008, 05:48 PM
The only negative aspect to the extended warranty is that it is from an independent company and some dealers may not honor it. But if your local dealer is selling it, then obviously he will accept it. What does it cost?

scramison
11-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I would say it depends on what the warranty covers as well as price. Does it cover the interior? or just the motor and trans.?

KBryant2007
11-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Welcome Aboard. On the extended warranty I considered it when I bought my boat new 2 years ago, but in the end decided against it. The standard MC warranty is 3 years, and I thought that would allow me to work any kinks out before it runs out. In the 2 seasons I have used my boat the warranty has covered a new fuel pump, a Clarion stereo remote control, and a glove box shock. All of that was uncovered during the first season. This year I didn't have any warranty claims. It's an insurance policy, so each person will have to weigh the pros and cons.

3event
11-30-2008, 10:38 PM
My $0.02 is that I will consider ext warranties offered by orig mfr, but skeptical of 3rd parties. The mfr has an interest in keeping you happy, and coming back for another boat.

Find out the company that offers the policy and then google "XXX Company Complaints", to see what pops up. Then go to www.bbb.org and see if any history on them. I did that on a warranty just offered to me for new vehicle and after doing those checks, I am declining and trying to see if I can get an orig mfr warranty instead.

For whatever reason, I did not even consider ext warranty on the MC (cant recall if it was discussed). The only repair I would have saved so far is appx $500. That repair in 2008 , for a boat bought new in 2002.

scott023
12-01-2008, 11:07 AM
The warranty costs about two grand. My dealer has a third party company offering the warranty, as well as MC extended. The dealer has told me that they have only sold 1 MC warranty package in 6 years, obviously the 3rd party is the big seller. It does not appear that a lot fo you have purchased extended warranty... this is the input I was looking for. If there is no history from you guys of major issues after standard warranty has expired, may as well save the $2000 for fuel. LOL

brianpt
12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
hi im from alberta also got my 08 x1 @ martin marine think i saw youre boat there last month nice
i got the extended warenty for peace of mind its all good for next 6 years in total helps for the resale for its transferable if not used you get youre money back cant see anyproblem with that just have to be on the ball claim it @ the end of the warenty love the look of silver metal flake on red metal flake mine just red metal flake ps carfulle around docks they do damage worth thousand to repair not covered under warenty

Ole Miss Rebels
12-01-2008, 04:13 PM
i purchased the MC 3+3 warranty on my 05 Xstar. i kept the boat three years and traded it and never used the warranty. i got approximately 1/3 of the cost back. guess what? i traded my 05 xstar for an 08 xstar and bought another MC 3+3 warranty. MC only warranties the engine and tranny for three years. everything else is only for one year. to me, that is warranty that leaves the boat owner exposed to a lot of potential expense regarding electronics, instrumentation, vdig, perfect pass, steering, hardware, tower, stereo, etc. the MC 6+6 warranty carries out the engine and tranny PLUS all listed components to a full six years from purchase. what do you think a perfect pass module would cost to purchase and install? how about if your tower or board racks develop a problem? how about your instrumentation or ecm? six years instead of one (or three on drivetrain) is a lot of peace of mind for those VERY EXPENSIVE repairs. they pay the shop rate so any certified repair facility would love to do the work. i can't imagine NOT having the warranty. My L18 engine costs $12,000, then you would have to have it installed. ouch. i say GET IT and don't look back. it is tansferrable if you sell it to an individual but NOT if you trade the boat. either way you do get some relief in the form of a pro-rated refund if you cancel the policy before it matures. Be sure and get the MC sponsored policy and your dealership does have the abillity to negotiate a better price for you when you are buying it, it's just that it would come out of his commission he recieves for selling it. i strongly suggest getting it if you are going to keep the boat for at least six years and be SURE to get the ski/accessory package added on. there is an up-charge but it covers a lot of extras for just a little more. good luck and let us know what you end up doing.