PDA

View Full Version : After boat idles for about 30 minutes it starts to smoke white

SinnerDC2
11-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I've been working with my brother to get his boat running. The first time he put the boat in the water he left it on the trailer just incase something went wrong. After about 20 minutes of idling the motor started smoking white. I hold him it might be the head gasket and drain his oil to look for water in the oil. The oil came did not have water in it, but it was very slow draining. He replaced the oil and oil filter. Today he took the boat back to the water to see if changing the oil help any, but after 30 minutes of idling the boat started to smoke again.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? The boat is a 1995 205 prostar, I think it has a 350 chevy motor with TBI

Thanks
Nick

TMCNo1
11-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I've been working with my brother to get his boat running. The first time he put the boat in the water he left it on the trailer just incase something went wrong. After about 20 minutes of idling the motor started smoking white. I hold him it might be the head gasket and drain his oil to look for water in the oil. The oil came did not have water in it, but it was very slow draining. He replaced the oil and oil filter. Today he took the boat back to the water to see if changing the oil help any, but after 30 minutes of idling the boat started to smoke again.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks
Nick

Depending on where your located and the outside air temperature, in most all cases, it's steam from the warm exhaust water hitting the air, kinda like taking a whiz off the porch in the winter or washing a car in the winter with warm/hot water!

JimN
11-28-2008, 03:34 PM

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? The boat is a 1995 205 prostar, I think it has a 350 chevy motor with TBI

Thanks
Nick

How far into the water was the trailer? It sounds like it wasn't in far enough for the raw water pickup to be in far enough and that's what cooked it. Could be that the impeller was bad before and after running dry, it's definitely toast, now. The oil cooler may be clogged, too. These should be checked before it's run again. Also, the exhaust tubes are probably soft and this means they could rupture under high RPM. Look at the inside of teh exhaust flappers- if they're blistered, there was little/no raw water intake.

If the smoke was really dense and white, check for codes. You can use a regular cheap code reader for this motor.

babymoore3
11-29-2008, 02:51 PM
What did the gauge for the engine (jacket) water show? You can also feel the water lines and see what they feel like as you are running. Agree with posts above, verify your intake lines but it may be just that you are sitting and the engine is getting warm (it is getting cold out and water vapor will be formed from the engine as it heats up). Better safe than sorry. Pics?

Jim@BAWS
11-29-2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks
Nick

I would suggest a compression test first. If you get BLOW BY where the compression is high then gradually lowers down YOU HAVE ISSUES

A compression test should be first

Jim@BAWS

coz
11-29-2008, 05:47 PM
kinda like taking a whiz off the porch in the winter

I just tried that and my neighbors called the cops on me :mad:

TMCNo1
11-29-2008, 06:53 PM
I just tried that and my neighbors called the cops on me :mad:

I only do it in the daylight so I can see the steam and when it's dark, it's no fun!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_4_4v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

93Prostar190
11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
What did the temp gauge show? .... my guess is steam ..... did you smell the smoke?