PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this idea??

wiltok
05-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I own two boats and two jet skis and subsequently burn through a lot of gas. Refuse to buy it at the marina because it is so expensive. I was thinking about buying a 50 gallon plastic boat gas tank and mounting it on my jet ski trailer. That way I would drive over to the gas station - fill up and drive home. Then just fill everything up from home. Thought this would be a good idea 1) less trips to the station so less of chance of an accident and 2) the gas is further away from the car so if I do get hit I might have a chance to survive. Currently, I usually buy 28 gallons in 4 separate 6 gallon cans and carry it in the back of my 4Runner.

Any petroleum engineers out there with an opinion on this idea?? Is this illegal? I would cover the tank with a plywood to disguise it from the road.

-Keith

dmac
05-10-2005, 04:25 PM
I think that sounds like a good idea. I am currently carrying 6 red cans and really would like to find an alternative. Marina gas is $2.65 a gallon this year.

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 04:25 PM
They make gas tanks, haulers specifically for that purpose. They are called Gas Caddy Portable Fueling Stations. They hold 28 gallons and cost 280.00.

Not sure I would feel safe with the gas on the trailer idea. How far is the station?

You can get a 50 gallon tank for 149.99 though....

I own two boats and two jet skis and subsequently burn through a lot of gas. Refuse to buy it at the marina because it is so expensive. I was thinking about buying a 50 gallon plastic boat gas tank and mounting it on my jet ski trailer. That way I would drive over to the gas station - fill up and drive home. Then just fill everything up from home. Thought this would be a good idea 1) less trips to the station so less of chance of an accident and 2) the gas is further away from the car so if I do get hit I might have a chance to survive. Currently, I usually buy 28 gallons in 4 separate 6 gallon cans and carry it in the back of my 4Runner.

Any petroleum engineers out there with an opinion on this idea?? Is this illegal? I would cover the tank with a plywood to disguise it from the road.

-Keith

Evan Jones
05-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Growing up, my father had a 250 gallon oil tank put in our barn at the lake. It had a hand crank pump on the top. The gas company would come up to the lake and fill it up when needed. Better rate buyng it bulk, and you can file paperwork and not pay the road tax (.20-.30 cents/gallon depending on state)

sfitzgerald351
05-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Do a google search for gas tanks. They make them that fit in the back of pickup trucks that have a hand pump and nozzle and everything. I've mostly seen them up north in remote areas where they need to carry more than 40 gallons to give the trucks enough range to get in the bush and back. My guess is one of these would be just the ticket and could be easily mounted to the front of your jetski trailer.

Here's one I found for Diesel that shows what I'm talking about. I'm sure you could get one for gasoline. Diesel Tank (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200306733&R=200306733&langId=-1)

Tom023
05-10-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't know anything about jet ski trailers, except some have very small tires. That 50 gallons is going to weigh something like 350 pounds. Can the trailer and tires handle it with the jet ski loaded too?

VTJC
05-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Those tanks are also in pickups so equipment operators can easily carry fuel(usually diesel) to there equipment(skidders, dozers, excavators).

Scot
05-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Thinking it through, i guess you will still have to tranfer from what ever tank you are using to a smaller, 5-6 gal container... (unless you have the luxury of parking it close enough to get it to all the craft)... I've thought about rigging an electric fuel pump to a 12volt cig lighter socket with a switch and just use the gas tank on my truck. Just connect one hose that will reach far into the tank and another just long enough to reach the gas can.... turn it on and fill it up.... Running up to the gas station/ store usually happens daily to get ice, cigs, beer, etc.. anyways... just make sure the truck is always filled... The boat buddy's sound good too... but... $$$.. and getting out of the truck or SUV full sounds a little heavy... Come to think of it, ANYONE, including the wifey can fill up the truck.....

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 05:28 PM
I always wondered how the hell you move those caddys when they are full.

AirJunky
05-10-2005, 05:38 PM
I always wondered how the hell you move those caddys when they are full.
Use a ramp, like one for an ATV.

I think I'd look into something a bit more permanent, like the tank by the barn idea. You save a ton of cash buying it that way due to the lack of road tax, almost .33 cents per gallon here in WA!!

6ballsisall
05-10-2005, 06:12 PM
You better by a baffled tank or you WILL be on your side the first time you have to react on the highway. You are going to weigh in somewhere around 350lbs for the fuel plus whatever the tank weighs so make sure your trailer can handle the weight. I had a 110 gallon tank in the back of my 02 Ram and constantly hauled 110 gallons + the stock 36 gallons everywhere (diesel) that tank had a few baffles in it but even that got a little dicey when it was full. Baffles are the key man! :D

wiltok
05-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the posts. I orginally just wanted to get a stationary tank and have fuel delivered - but I was worried about 1) permits 2) liablilty for a spill 3) what is the minimum they will deliver. Gas goes bad after a while - so I would only need about 300 gallons a month (I'm guessing).

I would need to transfer the fuel to smaller cans - which would be a hassle. The gas caddy would weigh too much and 28 gallons isn't enough. I don't have a pickup - only an SUV. Good ideas though - keep em coming....

6ballsisall
05-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Good thoughts about the spill liability. In most states the fine for a spill is 100k if hazmat has to be called. (If you spilt 50 gallons on the highway hazmat or the fire dept would be called) If DOT sees your setup they probably would frown on it. The biggest problem I think you will have is leaks. Mounted toa trailer you are going to get a lot of flex and bouncing which will in the end lead to leaks.

Mag_Red
05-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Sounds Illegal to me besides all kinds of liability issues. :twocents: That's probably why you don't see auxillary gas tanks mounted in pick-up as opposed to Diesel transfer tanks that are so common.

wiltok
05-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Probably a bad idea - don't want to win a Darwin award for this one. Well, I already bought one of these - will probably get another and be done with it.

http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=3

kpickett
05-10-2005, 10:06 PM
I think that sounds like a good idea. I am currently carrying 6 red cans and really would like to find an alternative. Marina gas is $2.65 a gallon this year.

MARINA gas is $2.65!?!? I pay $2.85 at the cheapest gas station in town! Marina gas around here is more like $4.00 a gallon.

I guess not everything is better in California.

JEREMY79
05-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Dude, do you have a truck, If so they make a tank to go in the bed. The are primarily used for diesel, like for backhoes and tractors. You will see them on farmers trucks, construction workers, ect. Just a thought may be alot safer than one mounted on the trailer. :twocents:

MarkL
05-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Where I live, The difference between marina gas and in town gas is $14/tank. If I fill up EVERY Sat. and Sun. between March 1 and November 1, I save $896 by buying gas in town. Actually, I don't use the boat every weekend...I don't run the tank dry every time...I don't go through an entire tank each time out, etc. Consider how much you would really save after you buy the tank/caddy. Plus, the time you spend lugging gas around has a value also.

ski_king
05-11-2005, 12:16 AM
I have a friend who had a setup just about as you described. He bought a utility frailer and made a cradle for a 55 gallon drum. It is all tied down to the frame of the trailer.
He then has a location on the bank above his docks where he parks it. Then has a 25 ft. hose with a nozzle on the end that will reach his boat. Gravity feeds the gas to the boat.

Looks to risky to me. I will stick with my 6 gallon cans. I have 6 I fill up. I made a simple divider in the truck bed to keep them from moving when I haul them.

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 12:20 AM
If I ever put my boat on our lake in Northern WI, I will have this same problem. Not something I look forward to.

ski_king
05-11-2005, 11:30 AM
........ I usually buy 28 gallons in 4 separate 6 gallon cans and carry it in the back of my 4Runner. ..........
Now that sounds a little tricky, what do you do with the 4 extra gallons?

Mag_Red
05-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Now that sounds a little tricky, what do you do with the 4 extra gallons?
:purplaugh At least some one actually reads these posts

wiltok
05-11-2005, 01:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing - someone actually reads these posts!

The six gallon cans hold almost seven gallogs if you fill them all the way up.

ski_king
05-11-2005, 02:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing - someone actually reads these posts!

The six gallon cans hold almost seven gallogs if you fill them all the way up.
You are right, but I couldn't resist kidding you on the math.

My 2 oldest 6 gallon cans can now hold over 7 gallons each. They have been streched over time with the vent closed and sitting in the sun (not on purpose). Those 2 need to be replaced this year.

east tx skier
05-11-2005, 07:51 PM
I recommend saving receipts and taking 5 minutes to fill out the road tax refund form. Got $45 back last year.

wiltok
05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately that doesn't work in Michigan.

jimmer2880
05-12-2005, 06:36 AM
I recommend saving receipts and taking 5 minutes to fill out the road tax refund form. Got $45 back last year.

Where do I get such a form? I did a quick google search & came up empty for MD.

Evan Jones
05-12-2005, 09:10 AM
http://www.americanboating.org/fueltax.asp

It looks like MD doesn't offer it. Sorry ?!?

jimmer2880
05-16-2005, 07:09 AM
Thank you. That stinks - thought I found a "loop hole" for this season.