PDA

View Full Version : 2006 X-45 any owner regrets?

TallRedRider
11-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I am poised to pull the trigger on a 2006 X-45. I think it will be a terrific boat. It is in excellent condition and the price is right.

It has the 2007 tower on it, and pretty standard options, MC cruise, etc. 8.1L engine.

I will be using the boat for wakeboarding, surfing, tubing with the kids, and just hanging out on the water. Probably about equal amounts of all 4 activities. Often we do it with 10 + people, so the X-45 definitely fits the bill as far as size goes.

I have already put money down, pending the final inspection, and a lake trial if the weather permits. The money is refundable if I have a disappointing final inspection, but they have put a SOLD sign on it for now.

I have researched and it is hard to find folks who are unhappy with their X-45. But no boat is 100% perfect, so I want to hear from folks who are familiar with the boat to give me their insights. Any downsides to the boat? What do you like best? Any parts that are prone to break and deserve more careful inspection?

Thanks in advance!

Jerseydave
11-26-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't own an X-45 (I have an X-star) but I did drive one and pulled a wakeboarder this past spring with it. I thought it drove nice in the choppy water (open bay on a windy day). We had 8-9 people on board, room was plentiful. A large crowd helped increase the wake size with stock ballast, if you're a serious rider you may want to add some fat sacs but that would only be needed for advanced riders IMHO. I've read on here it's a great boat for surfing!

The 8.1 engine is the best choice on this boat, just make sure it's propped correctly. Some have said the stock prop was too big, you may need to test this with a full load.

The only negative that I noticed when driving was docking, especially on windy days. The dealer rep actually asked me to dock it for him after a few failed attempts. With some practice it's fine, you just have to respect the size of the boat. (My 30-footer was alot easier to dock because it had twins, while single-engine 25 footers require a bit more patience)

All in all, sounds like the perfect boat for your needs. I say PULL THE TRIGGER!

ChicagoX55
11-26-2008, 06:11 PM
check out this link, I have driven a few and loved them!

http://www.wakeworld.com/boats/getboat7.asp?ProductID=200117

emnesto
11-26-2008, 06:39 PM
I've had my '06 X-45 for a couple of summers. It's been great for the family, and lots of their friends. We did have a couple of bow dunkings early in ownership, but have learned to add a little power when crossing the wake when retrieving a down boarder. If you like the demo ride, pull the trigger.

Jabrew
11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
You cant go wrong if a large boat is what you need. I have enjoyed my 245ss especially with a large crowd. The ride is smooth and comfortable with plenty of storage. I have the crusader 6.0 with 375 hp and plenty of get up and go. The wake can be a chore at times but with the right alignment of people and speed can be corrected. The 90 gallon tank acts as a good ballast and as it is burnt improves the wake for skiing. I am on the Chesapeake and have only once had water over the bow in 6ft swells. Good luck and enjoy

coz
11-26-2008, 06:56 PM
But no boat is 100% perfect,
Thanks in advance!

Keep that mind set and you're ahead of the game :D for what you are looking for the 45 is hands down the boat you want IMO :D

TallRedRider
11-26-2008, 10:19 PM
You cant go wrong if a large boat is what you need. I have enjoyed my 245ss especially with a large crowd. The ride is smooth and comfortable with plenty of storage. I have the crusader 6.0 with 375 hp and plenty of get up and go. The wake can be a chore at times but with the right alignment of people and speed can be corrected. The 90 gallon tank acts as a good ballast and as it is burnt improves the wake for skiing. I am on the Chesapeake and have only once had water over the bow in 6ft swells. Good luck and enjoy

The thing that worries me the most is the wakeboarding wake. I have only been behind a 2007 X-45 once, and it was the owner's first time on the lake. We struggled to get a wake I liked, but did have 6 riders in the boat and just a few hours to give everyone a pull. I got to go first. It seemed very steep and had a very steep inner lip that was bone jarring when I came up short. I think with some weight up front and a little trim tab, that would be better. Like most boats, I expect that the wake can be fine tuned to be pretty decent once I dial it in, right?

WakePowell
11-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Go Red – You’ve made a great choice on the X-45. I’ve owned a 2005 with the 8.1 L and now a 2009 with the LY9. We love the boat and predominantly when we go out most people prefer to wakeboard behind ours versus our friends X-15 and Supra 22SSV. The best set-up for wakeboarding is to fill the front ballast and not the rear along with leaving the trim tab in its full up position.

This set-up provides a clean, firm wake with plenty of kick and a nice ramp for landing. Since the beam on the boat is wider than most the wake width is also. You may need to shorten your rope length slightly until you are accustom to it. Our 2009 wake is much better than the 2005. Mastercraft modified the hull between 2005 and 2006.

I assume you’re buying the yellow X-45 listed on e-Bay since your description matches. If so that boat looks great and has been well taken care of. Good luck and let us now how you like it and if you have any more questions.

WakePowell
11-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Go Red – After re-reading your original post the only negatives on the X-45:

1) With the 8.1 L and the Silent Choice muffler replacing the impeller is difficult. There is very little clearance between the muffler and the impeller housing. The trick is to squirt WD-40 on the impeller and bump the motor over with the starter. It comes right out then.

2) The boat handles rough water great but if you surf be careful when turning around to pick up a fallen rider. It’s easy to stick the bow through your own wake

3) The 8.1 L is a great motor but with the cam and rough idle occasionally it will stutter and/or die if you go from a high throttle setting to idle quickly.

4) The trailer wheels are only 14”. Goodyear Marathon’s in this size are only load rated “C” which I believe is too low for the weight of the X-45. We’ve replaced the tires twice on our 2005. I’ve heard that there is another 14” trailer tire with a “D” load rating available now.

My only other suggestion would be to upgrade from the MC-Cruise to Perfect Pass especially if you wakeboard much. With the size of your crew (10+ people) the X-45 is a fantastic choice.

ChrisConn Inc.
11-27-2008, 11:41 AM

1) With the 8.1 L and the Silent Choice muffler replacing the impeller is difficult. There is very little clearance between the muffler and the impeller housing. The trick is to squirt WD-40 on the impeller and bump the motor over with the starter. It comes right out then.

2) The boat handles rough water great but if you surf be careful when turning around to pick up a fallen rider. It’s easy to stick the bow through your own wake

3) The 8.1 L is a great motor but with the cam and rough idle occasionally it will stutter and/or die if you go from a high throttle setting to idle quickly.

4) The trailer wheels are only 14”. Goodyear Marathon’s in this size are only load rated “C” which I believe is too low for the weight of the X-45. We’ve replaced the tires twice on our 2005. I’ve heard that there is another 14” trailer tire with a “D” load rating available now.

My only other suggestion would be to upgrade from the MC-Cruise to Perfect Pass especially if you wakeboard much. With the size of your crew (10+ people) the X-45 is a fantastic choice.

I totally agree. I own the 2007 and this last summer I had two blow outs. I was told by my dealer that mine is just an isolated incident, but apparently not. Other than the tire issue; I love this boat. It seems that the MasterCraft people thought of almost everything when they designed this boat. Enjoy your new purchase.

Tony

Hrkdrivr
11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
We have an '06 w/the L18 and it's a great setup. We're still new to wakeboarding so nobody in my family has cleared the wake yet. It sure seems very wide, even when you're using a short rope. Everything WakePowell said we've experienced except the tire problems.

Also, be careful with the throttle-by-wire and that big engine...if you're putting along w/someone standing up and you goose the power, you're going to send them FLYING; that engine responds immediately to a good shot of throttle.

Hrkdrivr
11-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah, and we absolutely LOVE the boat...lots of room and very comfortable.

One issue I've had is some spider-web cracking above/around the swim platform brackets. We have a teak platform and it's pretty heavy. I'm gonna have to have that checked out over the winter.

Only other issue we have is getting the darn thing onto the trailer. If the ramp is too steep it becomes a multi-step loading process because the bow tends to come in under the rollers. I always get the bunks totaly wet and then pull the trailer forward until the fenders are just barely visible above the water. This makes the guide-poles the right height to make sure they engage the rub rails and not below them. Drive it in, hook up the winch strap and power up as far as possible, then vary the trailer depth until the boat's angle of approach brings the bow in above the roller. Then it usually takes a lot of boat power to drive it home.

Simply winching the thing all the way up hasn't worked for me since the boat is so heavy. I guess I could get it close and then put the trailer deeper and then winch it up, but when I've tried that the boat tends to get mis-aligned on the bunks if the ramp isn't level side-to-side or if there's much of a wind.

In any case, it's a GREAT boat which will have plenty of capability for everyone to take advantage of as they get better...enjoy!!

erkoehler
11-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Sent you a PM.... :)

TallRedRider
11-28-2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Tell me more about PP vs. MC cruise. Some folks seem to like the MC cruise just fine. My previous boat had PP and it was perfect (no pun intended).

Go Red – You’ve made a great choice on the X-45. I’ve owned a 2005 with the 8.1 L and now a 2009 with the LY9. We love the boat and predominantly when we go out most people prefer to wakeboard behind ours versus our friends X-15 and Supra 22SSV. The best set-up for wakeboarding is to fill the front ballast and not the rear along with leaving the trim tab in its full up position.

This set-up provides a clean, firm wake with plenty of kick and a nice ramp for landing. Since the beam on the boat is wider than most the wake width is also. You may need to shorten your rope length slightly until you are accustom to it. Our 2009 wake is much better than the 2005. Mastercraft modified the hull between 2005 and 2006.

I assume you’re buying the yellow X-45 listed on e-Bay since your description matches. If so that boat looks great and has been well taken care of. Good luck and let us now how you like it and if you have any more questions.

I could not find a yellow X-45 on Ebay...but the one I am looking at is not yellow.

Thanks for the suggestions on where to start with the wakeboarding wake. That is exactly what I was thinking.

A friend of mine has an X-15 and I liked the wake there, so good to hear that many people like the 45 even better.

TallRedRider
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Any comments of MC cruise vs. PP???

endl
12-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Any comments of MC cruise vs. PP???
I hated my MC cruise and ordered the PP and did the plug and play swap. Very easy to install and works well. Took some adjusting to get the PP to work well but worth the effort. You can always install later if you decide you dont like the MC cruise.

TallRedRider
12-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I hated my MC cruise and ordered the PP and did the plug and play swap. Very easy to install and works well. Took some adjusting to get the PP to work well but worth the effort. You can always install later if you decide you dont like the MC cruise.

I was just wondering if PP had developed a simple plug and swap. That is terrific.

Does the MC cruise, just not hold the speed as well? It seems that if I learn how to throttle just past the set speed, then it works fine for most average riders.

Carbon Dreams
12-02-2008, 02:22 AM
We have the MC cruise in our 07. I'm told that it is superior to the 06 cruise. I love it! It accurately holds from surfing to wakeboarding. PP is the shiz, though...

endl
12-02-2008, 10:48 AM
I was just wondering if PP had developed a simple plug and swap. That is terrific.

Does the MC cruise, just not hold the speed as well? It seems that if I learn how to throttle just past the set speed, then it works fine for most average riders.
To be honest I did not try and use it a lot. I did not think it was very user friendly, I could not get it to set and just got frustrated reading directions going back and forth trying to get it to work. I think people think its like cruise control in their car and to me thats not how it worked.

Like Carbon said I believe in 07 they improved the functionality over 06.

I could never get past if its on and you hit set going 25mph it should lock in and run at 25. Regardless of whether its in RPM or MPH.......

Takes about 1/2 hour on the install. Seems like though on the 8.1 and 6.0 you have to have your computer chip re-flashed. Go to PP web site and read the directions they have in PDF form.